Dexter

They really should have just stuck with the first book and killed Laguerta off. The fact that she remained as one of the core cast members meant they had to keep finding shit for her to do, and this problem got worse after deb got promoted. I mean, wtf is Laguerta supposed to do now that she's a captain ? Give her a shitty side plot that some how turned into the main plot of the season.

I've been watching this show from the very fucking beginning, from way back when the first episode was released early as a promo online, and it's gotten painful to see what this show has become. From the past 3 seasons, I've gotten the same angst watching this show as I do watching bullshit teenage soap operas. Only, instead of "will they or won't they get together ?!?!?" it's "will they or won't they find out hes a psychopathic serial killer ?!?!?!?!?" Sure, I'll keep watching, just to see how they finish things off. But as far as I'm concerned, this show has fallen far and hard from what it once was.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They really should have just stuck with the first book and killed Laguerta off. The fact that she remained as one of the core cast members meant they had to keep finding shit for her to do, and this problem got worse after deb got promoted. I mean, wtf is Laguerta supposed to do now that she's a captain ? Give her a shitty side plot that some how turned into the main plot of the season.

I've been watching this show from the very fucking beginning, from way back when the first episode was released early as a promo online, and it's gotten painful to see what this show has become. From the past 3 seasons, I've gotten the same angst watching this show as I do watching bullshit teenage soap operas. Only, instead of "will they or won't they get together ?!?!?" it's "will they or won't they find out hes a psychopathic serial killer ?!?!?!?!?" Sure, I'll keep watching, just to see how they finish things off. But as far as I'm concerned, this show has fallen far and hard from what it once was.
this also destroyed laguertas character too. because the entire run of the show she has been all about scratching her way to the top. no matter who she has to fuck or fuck over. she is going to be the big boss. so what happens? bitch becomes captain and still acts like shes a detective. seriously did she need to investigate the travis marshall crime scene? and how big of a fucking stretch was it that she saw a microscope under a grate. pulled it out and deduced that the BHB was still out there? fucking seriously? every time i think about how unbelievably stupid this show has become i start to appreciate The Walking Dead's racist writers more more.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I have never hated a character in a book, movie, or tv as much as I despised Doakes. Dead isn't gone enough. Call in the Doctor and get him obliterated from the whole of history, *then* I will be happy.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have never hated a character in a book, movie, or tv as much as I despised Doakes. Dead isn't gone enough. Call in the Doctor and get him obliterated from the whole of history, *then* I will be happy.
This is crazy talk. Doakes was a great nemesis for Dexter. Killing him off so early in the show's life has proven to be a mistake.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Doakes is almost universally considered to be the best part of S1 and S2. I dunno how you can even make the claim that he should be more gone. With the exception of Season 4, which was entirely carried by John Lithgow, the entire franchise has gone to complete shit since Doakes' departure.

Szlia

I really liked Doakes right before his death. They introduced some of the military past of the character in relation to Cuba and that sounded very interesting and could have added a lot of depth to the character and even to the show as a whole... but then he croaked.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It wasnt that they killed off doakes. Im glad they did. Hated that motherfucker. The problem was they killed doakes and didnt replace him with anyone else that was as suspicious of how creepy dexter is. They gave dex basically a free ride for 4 seasons which basically sapped all the tension out of the program. Thats why lithgow wad so strong. He was actually a threat to dexter.

iannis

Musty Nester
The whole dynamic of S1 was the best, Doakes was just a part of that. Even visually S1 strikes out as most impressive of the run. The scene where icetruck has deb tied up on the prow of the boat and is laughing into the night -- the masks have finally come off and you're treated to the naked insanity. That was just great. It made full use of the entire medium, and that's something that TV/Movies fail to do so often that when someone manages to do it well it reminds you how great of a medium it can be. I can't think of another episode in the series that was just that GOOD.

Rita in the tub came close, and maybe that's why Lithgow's season is so highly regarded. But besides for that final scene I didn't find the season to be exceptional -- it was good, and I love me some John Lithgow playing creepy... but it wasn't Season 1 good.

Doakes had run his course though. If they kept dragging it out he would have become like any other retard cop that dexter was too smart for... it had to come down to doakes v dexter. It had to and sooner was better than later. Unless you want to end the series, Doakes has to lose. And they did replace doakes -- every season there has been someone in the series that knows what dexter does/is. Doakes was just the only one that was actually BOTHERED by it. lol.

But I really did like the Lumen season even if it had the weakest police/villian story of them all (even shittier than 7!). Which if I had to guess, Lumen is probably the least popular season.

Szlia

There is an episode earlier in season 4 that is for me the best of the whole show. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how it goes, but it's the one where Trinity opens up to Dexter a bit and sort of take him under his wing. The tension between the two characters is brilliant the whole way though and things can be read on several different layers as both hide behind another persona (with Dexter even having three at that time) and Trinity possibly pushing Harry out of the picture. It's also full of symbolism like the transmission of the Hammer (also two layers here as it's a tool for both Trinity's trades) and even biblical stuff with him being a carpenter and all...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked Doakes just prior to his death, something changed in him or his character, or maybe just my perception of it as he closed in on Dexter. Before that though? He was a retarded character. "Dexter you're a freak, motherfucker, I'm going to follow you around because you're weird and shit" didn't resonate with me, I thought the storyline was stupid and illogical and his character was the worst kind of cliche.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so the season is over, right? after last season the wife and i decided to hold off on it until we heard how it went. without TOO much spoilers, what did everyone think of this season overall?

Musab

Molten Core Raider
Well, not having to wait a week in between the turrible episodes should make it bearable.

Dex is gonna Dex.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
so the season is over, right? after last season the wife and i decided to hold off on it until we heard how it went. without TOO much spoilers, what did everyone think of this season overall?
Started off terrible, then a glimmer of hope showed up, then it ended fucking terrible again.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It didn't turn back into a good show, but it was much better than the previous season. I'm not sorry I watched it even though there was plenty of stupid to be had.

niss_sl

shitlord
I didn't really like the season finale. Lacunta should have been fired/jailed/investigated and gone out that way and the ending should have been a similar scene between Hannah/dex/deb with Deb shooting Hannah.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
^^^ I haven't read any of this because my wife and I have 3 or 4 more episodes until we are completely caught up. We just saw the episode where Deb actually told Dexter that she was in love with him. Deb has turned in some really fucking good acting performances. I'm in love with Yvonne Strahovski, but I have to say she's just freaking weak as an actress. She was ok as Sarah in Chuck because her role was to have no personality and to just be hot, but..

By the way, if you watch the first episode of Dexter that Yvonne (Hannah McKay) shows up, she has this *horrible* Boston/Jersey (whatever) accent, and she's supposed to be from Alabama haha. In subsequent episodes it completely disappeared and she's back to her normal generic American accent. In the play she just finished on Broadway, Golden Boy, she did the exact same goofy accent. I'm sure she was trying to put that accent in because she had the play coming up immediately after finishing filming Dexter.