Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't really know of a farming run path that requires you to bypass a cut scene. I have to spacebar one section of dialogue per run.

Farming ghom for plans in 1.07 will be mildly annoying but that will end as soon as you get the plan you need.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think farming Ghom is the most effecient route in general in terms of speed. I think you may be under the same mis-understanding I had. Each boss doesn't drop it's own plans. It is 50% chance for each boss to drop a random plan. So it will still devolve into farming Ghom over and over. Although I may farm Maghda because I farm Act3 quite enough already.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yes, but not everyone likes to play these games like the hardcore "item drops per X time interval efficiency is the only thing that matters" players. And yet they still like to play the game repeatedly and farm items.

@Tenks- Contrarily I'd just say it highlights the fact that you perhaps don't quite understand game design as much as you think you do? Blizzard (new Blizzard circa 2007+) really likes to pigeonhole you into THEIR way to play their games. Fewer meaningful choices is never better. Literally never. In this case, it's fewer meaningful choices in how to play the game. NV is one way they do this, and you guys have highlighted another. I don't want to play the game like you guys do, but apparently that's the only way I can do it if I don't want to wear out my spacebar and yell obscenities at the various annoying-as-fuck-to-hear-for-the-fortieth-time NPCs.

There is no valid argument that can be presented that supports their choice to make this game the way they did. The only thing that can be done is say "but it's ok if you just do this to circumvent it." It's fine that you guys play it in a way that works for you. Unfortunately, there are many an alienated player for whom these types of things destroy replayability. I was simply responding to your(Tenks) contentious statement that if you don't enjoy current era D3 then you don't enjoy the genre, because it is patently false. They have made some minor improvementswithin their restrictive design, but ultimately it is still a poor D2 follow-up, and I can utter that true statement and still enjoy the genre.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think farming Ghom is the most effecient route in general in terms of speed. I think you may be under the same mis-understanding I had. Each boss doesn't drop it's own plans. It is 50% chance for each boss to drop a random plan. So it will still devolve into farming Ghom over and over. Although I may farm Maghda because I farm Act3 quite enough already.
I know its randomized, I'm just going to farm him until I get the strength amulet plans. After that I could give a fuck about the rest of the recipes.

Tenks

How exactly do you want to play? Did you honestly enjoy loading up a game checkpointed at Warrior's Rest, killing mob and leaving? Because I have news that is still a very valid strategy. Make an Archon Wizard, crank up the MP and do it. You'll get good item drops. Shit for XP but you'll get good drops.

You're also talking to literally the only person who does not do Alk runs. I did like 3 and found it so boring I wanted to log out. So I went back to doing what I enjoy doing which is keyfarming and item hunting in that act. If I get bored of farming a particular act then I move around. I still get good XP, although not maximum effeciency and I still get good drops. Possibly better drops since my focus is generally on finding and killing elites and not killing waves of white mobiles. I'd say I average a set or legendary once every 3 games.

Want to do Alk runs? Prepare to have to hit your spacebar a grand total of 3 times when Azmodan talks shit to you after Arreat Crater 2 or some shit.

The game has a complete breadth of valid stategies for getting loot. Which is far more than I could say for Diablo 2 which was finding yourself maphacking and soloing Meph, soloing Pindle or grouping for Hell Baal (ok, sometimes council) with the rewards being so pitiful for doing anything else that the entirety of the other acts shouldn't have existed.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well, you're not really getting what I'm saying, and I don't know that I can say it more concisely than I am, so that's fine.

Just know that I love the genre, I hate D3 for being a terrible heir to the throne, and there's nothing you can say to stop me! Muahahaha

Tenks

Sounds like somebody hasn't played D2 in a while.
I admit my D2 knowledge is fairly dated. People started talking about Rack runs and I had no clue what that is. I gathered is is possibly to find etheral socketed spears for runewords.

Tenks

I know its randomized, I'm just going to farm him until I get the strength amulet plans. After that I could give a fuck about the rest of the recipes.
I'll probably get at least the glove pattern. Although with the pattern being introduced I'd have to assume primary+tri fecta gloves will come down in price considerably.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll probably get at least the glove pattern. Although with the pattern being introduced I'd have to assume primary+tri fecta gloves will come down in price considerably.
I won't go out of my way for those. Already have a pair of trifecta gloves and I'm not optimistic about the odds of rolling a better pair.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I got back into the game like 2 or 3 weeks ago with 1.5M. I know about building on a budget. Like if you need a 2H mainhand just look for a ~1350DPS dex-stat Skorn to expire. That is how I got mine for 200k. You can get not-so-perfect roll rares for almost every slot if you just look at auctions with 10m until expiration or 1d12h with low buyouts. You'll have to hawk the AH for a day or two but you can build a very powerful character for peanuts these days since the price of items anymore is basically free or prohibitively expensive.
build my barb on a budget ~_~

nice find if you got that skorn for 200k, imanaged to get one for 150k no special extra stat like LL though.

Tenks

I actually resold that Skorn for 1M the other day. I got a pretty good deal on it. I still think bid sniping auctions is the best way to build on a budget. For the most part AH players aren't going to worry about buying something with a 1M re-sale value since it isn't really worth their time to get into a bidding war over it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully this questions hasn't been asked yet (Sorry if it has Deathwing
biggrin.png
) but I was under the impression that followers didn't matter much so I took the enchantress since she can turn mobs into chickens. I see almost everyone using the Scoundrel... why?

Pooch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just use him for the crit passive he provides. I might change later on to someone else in the higher MP levels but for low level paragon farming he works nicely.

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
As far as I know, between those two, it comes down to whether or not you want +3% Critical Hit Chance or +3% Attack Speed, and I think the former provides the bigger DPS boost. Furthermore, you can slap a Buriza-Do Kyanon on the Scoundrel and turn him into a freezing machine.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully this questions hasn't been asked yet (Sorry if it has Deathwing
biggrin.png
) but I was under the impression that followers didn't matter much so I took the enchantress since she can turn mobs into chickens. I see almost everyone using the Scoundrel... why?
Appearently the scoundrel is a beast if you put buriza on him

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks. I think the Buriza was the first legendary I ever got... hopefully I kept it around somewhere.