Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thinking about playing a monk for season 2 since the rest of my group is playing the other classes I wanted to grab. Any suggestions on good builds when your gear sucks and what items to go for first?
Up until fresh Torment 1 you can do basically any skills on any buttons and be fine. Monk sets really define their builds so after that it kind of depends. You can pretty much always do generator + Sweeping wind + Cyclone strike + defensive skills and be reasonably well off, if not fast.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Thinking about playing a monk for season 2 since the rest of my group is playing the other classes I wanted to grab. Any suggestions on good builds when your gear sucks and what items to go for first?
Use Sweeping Winds, Way of 100 fists: fists of fury (the holy DoT rune), a spender of your choice, and items with damage procs. Mystic ally is probably very useful for leveling up now too.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Just got my first ancient set item.....invokers shoulders.

Furious charge is so god tier with raekor now. it has 2 charges, i never run out

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only played a little bit so far and the monk changes don't really seem that bad but I liked a more tempest rush build innately. It blows that none of the spenders can be cast while using anything else? (that I can figure out).

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure if I'd call it a nerf, I like the sentry changes to charges but its definitely different than just placing them and running around or standing there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
At the earliest, that's what they've said. Given Blizzard's wishy-washy nature about hard committals and lack of notification(people know when patches go live because the PTR goes down and it shows up on the launcher, not because Blizzard says anything), it will likely be February 3rd.

Assuming the database doesn't take a shit or Kotick needs to sacrifice some IT staff to his overlords.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The monkey king change seems alright from where I'm at so far. It does less damage on it's own but it really opens up the build and still seems strong. I'm curious to see what kind of ability / item combos people come up with. You aren't shoved into using a 2H weapon anymore by default either so plenty of options for doing lightning/fire/ice monkey builds maybe.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Unfortunately, I think 2H weapons are best. If you're doing bells, 50% spirit off is crucial for getting rid of your generator. For tempest rush, the staff with the movement speed rune is tops. And obviously, you can't dual wield with tempest rush. LTK never really established itself versus the previous too. AE is too small and the hitbox is still janky.

You *might* be able to get something with EP fist, gungdo gear, but then you run into spirit problems.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
TR wasn't really doing as much damage as I would have expected, even the Holy Rune version with my holy damage items, so I'm not sure that's even viable past early GR levels or maybe regular rifts. Holy Bell seemed to do a ton with 2H or without but I don't have the bell staff. Getting to mix Cyclone Strike into things is kind of nice but overall maybe a waste.

Once I find a Gungdo I may try a EP build since the Holy one probably helps the spirit problems. I'm guessing it works the dumb way and only adds the damage to the dot though which would be pointless to focus on and isn't helpful for bosses either way.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
TR wasn't really doing as much damage as I would have expected, even the Holy Rune version with my holy damage items, so I'm not sure that's even viable past early GR levels or maybe regular rifts. Holy Bell seemed to do a ton with 2H or without but I don't have the bell staff. Getting to mix Cyclone Strike into things is kind of nice but overall maybe a waste.

Once I find a Gungdo I may try a EP build since the Holy one probably helps the spirit problems. I'm guessing it works the dumb way and only adds the damage to the dot though which would be pointless to focus on and isn't helpful for bosses either way.
You have to use the flurry rune. The effect is kinda small and I hate those types of builds, but it is competitive with the best bell build on the leaderboards, so it can work.

You won't solve spirit problems with the holy EP rune because the killing slows down as the grift gets higher. And if you're at a lower grift, the fire rune is much better and ensures the EP explosion won't interrupt its own spreading. Every part of the EP gets magnified.

Were you running DW bells with a generator? The monkey king set severely punishes using a generator and bell spam without incense torch just isn't possible without gimping the rest of your build/gear.

So are Ancient Legendaries simply more RNG in your RNG with minimal dev effort?
Yes.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like there's at least 4 feasible SWK builds on the Monk forums and none of them are holy :p So I gotta swap out some stuff for sure. Like, I didn't feel weaker than pre-patch but I was topping out around Grift 33 I think so I wasn't top tier by any means.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I think it's fire, lightning, and physical bells along with cold tempest rush. Holy didn't fare well this patch. The Raiment redo might fix it, but they're going to have to redo the name at the very least.

I don't like fire bells that much, the hitbox on the effect is quite literal to the graphic(as compared to the other bells which will hit well outside the graphic), making reliable play a chore. Physical bells likely worth it if you need the stun, just felt kinda weak on the PTR.