Diku MUD

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
I leveled a character to mid 30s on Achaea a year ago and I believe that Mudlet was the popular client to use. I ended up quitting when I realized I was having more fun programming tab-targeting like scripts for the game instead of actually playing it.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
While MUDs (Aardwolf and Shadows of the Mind were the two I played) definitely had some negative impact on my focus on school, they've also provided a lifelong fast typing speed that I appreciate even today. I still type at ~110 WPM despite not having played in many years.

I really enjoyed Aard and it helped that the main guy was fairly mature and an all around good guy.

rrr_img_23037.jpg
rrr_img_23035.jpg

rrr_img_23038.jpg

(1. tintin++; 2. mushclient GW2 plugin; 3. mushclient Aardwolf plugin)

Mushclient, tintin++ (cli), atlantis (mac), mudlet, blowtorch (android), and zmud/cmud are the "heavy hitters" of the mud client world. Kavir (creator of GodWars) a MSDP GUI plugin for Mudlet and Mushclient and a snippet that can be installed pretty easily on many codebases. There are some decent solutions out there.

Muds are a great place to learn and a good place to dink around. I never stopped playing them over the years just because I like games and don't give a shit about graphics and the interface doesn't scare me away. But you could labor away for years and never get more than a handful of players... so if you want your game to actually be played, another venue is probably better.

While the communities within those muds are great, the inter-mud community is full of a bunch of bickering jackoffs. A quick trip toTMCforums can be fun if you're looking for some drama.

Check outmudstatsfor a list of muds and their populations. I think it only collects data from muds with MSSP implemented though. As you can see, muds are a huge bastion for furries.

rrr_img_23037.jpg

rrr_img_23035.jpg

rrr_img_23038.jpg

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hah. I had no idea, but a MUD that I co-ran a long time ago is still up. Return of the Shadow, a Tolkien-inspired MUD set in the fourth age (well after the Lord of the Rings). rots.us 3791. Was a neat idea, but the place is completely dead now. There's a whole 1 person on right now other than me.

At least they left my account alone all these years!

i1>whois alkar
Alkar the Radiant is an Implementor.
Playing since Sun Apr 28 08:45:54 2013

iannis

Musty Nester
I leveled a character to mid 30s on Achaea a year ago and I believe that Mudlet was the popular client to use. I ended up quitting when I realized I was having more fun programming tab-targeting like scripts for the game instead of actually playing it.
That's what muds turned into.

I went back to 2 of the old pvp muds I was on and was amazed to see counts of 20-30 people online during peaks. Hell, I was amazed they were even still connectable. I a fun couple of weeks remembering the virtual worlds and relearning the tricks. But it quickly became obvious that these things aren't what they used to be (even ignoring the lower pops). These are guys running afk-botwar scripts against each other for 90% of the time... and they'll pop in every so often just to chat and see how their bot is doing.

Which is actually sort of cool. It's like an e-version of robot death fights. But it's a very different thing that what it was.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
While waiting for a response I tried out Aardwolf last night. The tutorial is pretty painful, hoping it gets a bit more fun when i leave it.

I'd suggestAlter Aeon(alteraeon.com:3000). It has a strong diku feel while being a more accessible than most muds. They also have aclientyou can download.

Godwars2(godwars2.org:3000) if you're feeling more adventurous. The interface can be a bitch for some. It's coordinate-based (no rooms), so it's a bit different from most other muds.GW2 has a mushclient plugin, but I suggest downloadingmudletand choosing Godwars 2 from the connection menu so it downloads and sets up everything for you. Direct download for mudlethere.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Forget MUDs right now, download and play Lands of Kaldana. Has it's own client, and doesn't require much typing. It's very entertaining. I play like every few years or so. I played this one a lot in college a 13-15 years ago.

http://www.kaldana.com/

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the suggestions. They seem good, never really played one.

I made a text-adventure (CLI only) single-player RPG in C++ a few years ago and always wondered what it would be like if I converted it into a MUD. Kind of wanted to see how they worked.

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
What kind of hack ass mud were you playing that had maps built into the interface? That's what ZMud was for. That's for sure not ROM or DIKU standard.

PvpRp muds were the way to be.

TinTin++

TorilMUD itself actually has an ascii map built in now

1644799315037.png

Goonsquad Officer
if you just play it for a few hundred hours it gets good tho

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users