Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This was great, enjoyed the hell out of it.
I think my favorite scene was in the first episode: "ARE YOU A HISTORIAN?"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Finally finished watching the series. All in all, it was damned good. I liked how the ending was going and thought it looked like Season 2 had promise. Then the real ending happened and it looks like a bucket of suck coming for next season.

I can't decide who my favorite characters were, but Dirk and Todd were, without a doubt, my least favorite out of the good guys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally finished watching this over the weekend and I was very pleased. As someone else said, it was easier to enjoy this because it was different from the books. I like that Landis has expanded upon what Douglas Adams wrote in a way that opens up a whole world of additional weirdness.

As for favorite character, how could it not be Bart?? That she is played by Brad Douriff's daughter is just icing on the cake. She has the capacity for crazy weird in the veins!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I was really hoping this would be a case of the week type show like psyche with a less pronounced season long arc. They got pretty fucking nutty this season.

Sucks that it got canceled. I was looking forward to seeing more of the rainbow beast girl (or whatever they called her). Really liked how she talked.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
god damn it. This had become one of my favorite shows to watch, was really looking forward to another season. Figured they were 'ok' once they got renewed for a 2nd season.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Binged to finish off the season this weekend and yeah I'm very sad we won't get to see the payoff for all the things they set up...

I know Netflix is the primary 'broadcaster' in the UK, perhaps they would be willing to fund a 3rd season?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Idk, they can generally replace a writer, even the main one, if the ratings are good enough. If it was on the fence, he might have pushed it over into cancellation territory, but no one who watches the show equates his name with it really. It's not like Spacey and House of Cards, or a producer who owns the rights to a show. In those situations, you basically have to cancel it or suffer the consequences. In this case, you swap a writer and keep going.

Maybe the next season would have felt 'off' with a different writer, and then it would have gotten cancelled anyway, but they'd normally try at least. But, it's not like he wrote every single episode and every line of dialogue anyways. Plus, it's being adapted from novels, the core concept already existed.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, true. He was also listed as 'created by' and 'executive producer'. Not sure how much weight those carry. His name was featured heavily in the intro. Seemed an odd coincidence at the least.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, if he was getting both of those credits, he may have owned some part of the show then. If he bankrolled the pre-production through his own company or something, then he could have been integral to the show continuing. i.e. you either have to buy him out or cancel the show, and if it's not a ratings monster it's not worth buying him out.

Most executive producers are involved in financing the thing in some way. He may have licensed the book rights and written the pilot script, then joined up with another executive producer/production company that helped bankroll it till bbca picked it up. Or, that whole process was done in house at bbca. In any case, an exec producer means he was more important then a main writer on the financial side.