Disgaea 4 : A Promise Unforgotten (U.S. 2011 Release)

Sean_sl

shitlord
Are Disgaea 4's story/characters good? I loved 1/2, but I could not get into 3 at all due to the humor in it just not clicking with me so I didn't bother to grab 4.

I can't wait for Disgaea D2, since it's back to Laharl/Etna/Flonne as the main cast and I absolutely loved the writing in the original Disgaea.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
4 is WAY better than 3 imo. The story is, as expected, a bit wonky (you WILL get sick of hearing about sardines) but the interactions between the characters are what sold me. Desco is just awesome and Flonne does make an appearance as part of the story in 4 as well in some pretty fun ways.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
D4's story is top notch in terms of really utilizing their unique writing skills to the fullest. It's humor is a lot less forced (than 3, I'm playing it now) and actually made me laugh quite a few times, which is very rare for me (not laughing in general, but actually enjoying weird Japanese humor like this). The genuine comedy of the game is a gem of it's crown, but I'd say the other jewels would be the new graphics updates are very well done. However, if you prefer the old school sprites you can switch back at any time. The characters in 4 are well done, with a good amount of versatility among the character cast and the beginning is especially way more involving straight from the get go than 3 was without a fucking doubt. D4 had me laughing 15 minutes into the game while also enjoying the actual game play, so that's a win/win combination for me.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I thought the humor was pretty much all downhill after La Pucelle and Disgaea 1, except for Soul Nomad's evil playthrough. It really is the funniest storyline ever.