Disgaea D2

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Why would you think a disgaea game would rate low? Every new one has refined and added a little something gameplay-wise and even the first one was great. Add in the fact this new one has the first and best cast I think a high score is no surprise.

First time I've read about the mechanics of this one. Mounts and demon dojo sound great. Think I'll preorder this, it'll be the first console game I've bought in over a year ><

Forbin_sl

shitlord
This is the next game i plan on purchasing. I sunk close to 150 hours into Disgaea 4 and am looking forward to doing that again in D2.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I've heard good things about 4. I should get around to ordering this and the 4th one at some point heh.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'd say the story/character portion of 3+ sucked but everything else was still rock solid.
The gameplay of these games is not anywhere entertaining enough to me for it to carry a terrible story/characters, couldn't put more than a couple hours into 3 because of it.

Definitely excited for D2 though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The gameplay of these games is not anywhere entertaining enough to me for it to carry a terrible story/characters, couldn't put more than a couple hours into 3 because of it.

Definitely excited for D2 though.
I can see that, but not enough to give the games an overall bad score. Most AAA games with crazy scores have epically shit stories.

Also excited for D2 ~

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Gonna chime in and say that I liked Mao in 3.

Wasn't a big fan of 2 and 4's lead characters.

I hadn't played a Disgaea since 2 until this past summer when there was a dearth of games and I started digging out backlog games I skipped and buying them on the cheap. Snagged 3 and 4 and tried both out (didn't beat them, maybe 20 hours into each) and I preferred Mao over the vampire dude.

But really, the games are light hearted and silly, so I try not to judge them too harshly.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I liked 2's lead waaay more than Mao (disliked the entire cast of 3 from what little I saw), he was definitely no Laharl though. Never ended up buying 4.

Got my shipping confirmation from the NISA store today, can't wait for my copy to come in. Will probably be here on Monday.

Also said fuck it and ordered the hardcover strat guide from Amazon for $25 (23+tax). I missed getting the NISA store LE that came with the guide, but got the regular LE. I haven't bought a guide in forever, but I really like hardcover ones and figure this will probably be worth it. Plus it looks like a pretty cool book either way.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
D1 had the best story of any I thought. D4 was the 2nd best of the series overall, 2-3's stories got abit meh but I just love the overall gameplay and grind so no complaints.

The one thing I wish they would put a bit more time/effort into is the end post game content. Have a few more cut scenes or something to give that final feeling of accomplishment. Some of the other games in the series its like spend 40 hours of grinding and min/maxing to kill 1 guy and he dies....nothing. Give me the cherry on the top! Good news is sounds like the ultra hard mode Baal version is just ass rape and also has at least some minor level of strategy required (can only use each attack once or something on him i think I read).

These games aren't for everyone but the recipe works for me for whatever reason, probably my favorite series of all time to be honest. I'd love to see them make a spin off modeled slightly after Cross Edge with the Disgaea universe exclusively and a better story. Cross Edge was actually one of my all time favorite post ps2 games. Semi active combat required you to string combo's etc more then most games of the type and I liked stat/gear progression etc. If they would have just had a slightly less meh story it would have been awesome and abit more variety in combat strategies. The post game was fucking brutal if you didn't have maximized gear and group setups etc. Never did understand why that game didn't do very well. Damn casuals!

Sean_sl

shitlord
Pics:

1qgebUM.jpg

bU0tblk.jpg

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Got mine today as well, only my Flonne figure was broken. Gonna have to work on her with some glue and maybe exacto-knife when I get some time. Im a bit disappointed by the figures to be honest, Mugen Souls also came with Nendoroid petite figures only they were made by one of the best figure makers in the business. Yet when they decide to include figures with their biggest/best title, NIS opts for cheaply made Chinese knock-offs.

Game itself is awesome though, as expected.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
So how is it? Disgaea 3/4 were fun enough in my book, enough to satiate my FFT game like cravings.

Greenlight on purchase?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you're a fan of SRPGs and the Disgaea games, then I don't see how you can pass up what has to be the most refined version of the formula to date, but maybe it sucks.

My copy will be here tomorrow.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
So how is it? Disgaea 3/4 were fun enough in my book, enough to satiate my FFT game like cravings.

Greenlight on purchase?
Absolutely. I only got a few hours into it but it's pretty entertaining so far. Seeing Etna giving Laharl shit within the first 10 minutes made me realize how much I'd missed them as central characters (and how much some of the characters from the sequels paled in comparison).

Fuka and Desco DLC is already available on the PSN for $2.99 (they're bundled together) and a free "classic" costume pack is also up on the PSN. Hopefully more stuff will be up soon.

edit- and also, for some reason, Prima Games is giving away the digital version of the strategy guidefor free.