Distant Worlds 2

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2022-02-11 19.17.58 store.steampowered.com 147535337216.png

It's the sequel to one of the best 4x games in the last 20 years (first released in 2010, same studio):

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Slitherine is currently having a publisher sale (on steam), on all games in their catalog, and remembered this game was being made (and saw it was only a month away).

Don't know how often they have sales, but the first game's complete edition is currently $3.00, if anyone wants to give it a try. With all the xpacs, it is a huge game, and has a bit a learning curve.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Stellaris passed it recently but I have a couple thousand hours plus in Distant Worlds 1. Pretty stoked about the sequel.

I hope they didn't water it down too much to make it more accessible. It was definitely one of those things that was more of a hobby than a "game".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Distant Worlds is one of those rare gems you find out there that you never knew existed until chance happens that you cross it. I'd almost call it more of a simulation than a game, though arguments can be made for both. One of the most unique aspects of it is that you can automate practically every aspect of the game. Usually you have three settings: manual control, suggestion (the game suggests an action and you chose if you do it or not) or full automatic. Say you love these types of games, but hate the espionage part, just automate that. Only like exploration and colonisation, automate all and leave that on manual. Hell, you can automate everything except one explorer ship and go and play Picard exploring the galaxy (yes, there are Star Trek mods). But there is also a lot of nuance, such as how you design ship, what research paths you take and such. No two games are alike. Highly recommended.

BTW I'm talking of the first game here, but from what I've seen #2 is much the same but with better QoL and graphics.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Welp, this one got off to a fantastic start, as it crashed twice on startup 8)

Third time was the charm though, been amusing myself playing the space lizards and having marines conduct hostile boarding of everything that has an airlock. This has caused problems with giant space monsters that have no airlocks.

Good fun. You can absolutely get screwed big time by the rng of the start though. One source of Caslon in the closest twelve star systems ? Oof.

Burns

Played for a few hours last night and it feels like they stuck to the same formula as the first game. Although, it has been so long since playing the first, that I'm not sure what all is different. My memory of the old game is also overshadowed by so many hours of playing Stellaris (with mods) that I'm kinda lost in this new one.

The automation is still there, to pick up the slack, but I vaguely remember it being fairly inefficient.

Burns

Finally got to mid-game on a huge map, on the slowest research setting. Started hitting a crash every 1 to 2 hours, even with the 2 updates, so I'm not sure I will continue.

It's still difficult to tell, outside of graphics and UI, what is different from the first game. The fist game, with the xpacs had a lot of content, so I doubt they were able to include it all. It has the same feel as the first game at least, it just has bugs and balance issues that look to get in the way, right now.

For example, the AI may have some problems with defending against espionage, as I was able to steal about the same amount of technology from pirate/swarm factions as I was able to research. Also, when a spy got caught, I just bought them back and I took a small global rep hit, that would usually regenerate, buy the time my next spy failed and got caught. Buying a spy back counted as a positive trade interaction and gave me positive rep with the pirate/swarm...

So, if anyone is looking at this, it is probably best to wait until the first DLC/Xpac is released, or at the very least they have 10 or so patches under their belt.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I finished up my first game as the Mortalen ( angry space lizards ).

Total time about 80hours, it's not a quick game ! Taking and keeping territory is a lot harder than ROFLstomping enemy fleets. I actually won by taking the World Destroyer into the second place empire and then destroying their planets because conquering them takes too long late game ;p

Mortalen infantry combat bonus leads to overwhelming power in the boarding space, especially if you focus the space marine line. It's pretty funny seeing a Hive carrier get captured by a fleet of frigates with less than a 1/10th of it's combat power.

Overall great fun, but if you are on the fence about it, I'd suggest waiting for a few more patches. It has memory leaks, various infuriating bugs and places that still need some polish ( UX mostly - the troop management interface is the shittiest of the shit interfaces that'd you find in a 1990 shareware game).