Dividend Plays (Your Grandma's Portfolio)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Have some XOM, from back when it was still XON. They used to give stocks or options to buy stocks at a discount for reaching certain goals during a turnaround. Had it for about 25 years. The dividend has well paid for and then some. Was really surprised to get one this year. They are under a lot of pressure from stockholders and some board members to fully green and divest themself from oil. Good luck with that.

Had some Dow Chemical as well but I eventually unloaded it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thinking any finishing off this years roth ira limit with an aristocrat ETF. My thought is a mix of some returns would continue to give me a bit of income the rest of the year to continue some individual stock trades. Any recommendations?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thinking any finishing off this years roth ira limit with an aristocrat ETF. My thought is a mix of some returns would continue to give me a bit of income the rest of the year to continue some individual stock trades. Any recommendations?
Fair warning. Most dividend plays are heavy in Oil and Telecom.
I have my mom in HDV and it has done well over the years for what it is. Another idea is PFF. It is a preferred stock ETF. PFF will get you between 4.5 - 5 % a year in dividends.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I've been thinking about putting part of my portfolio into something "value based" which usually means dividend stuff as far as I have learned.

So far I've been looking to spread that some using the SDIV ETF. Anybody else look at those?

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I have a bunch of ADP from when I used to work there. In Oct it was 131 bucks, Jan it was 161 bucks and now it's 192 bucks at the end of March. I'm honestly shocked.

This is the company that the Gov't uses to provide is jobs report since they do payroll. Decent Dividend too. Just a few years from being a dividend king.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've been thinking about putting part of my portfolio into something "value based" which usually means dividend stuff as far as I have learned.

So far I've been looking to spread that some using the SDIV ETF. Anybody else look at those?
It's a global dividend fund. Look at the top 10 holdings. They don't instill a lot of confidence in me. Look at HDV. Keep in mind HDV is near a 52-high so it will reflect in its current dividend yield.

Screenshot_20210328-222129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ABBV goes ex-dividend on the 14th. Currently about 8% below the 52-high. Dividend yield is right at 5%. ABBV is a dividend aristocrat.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I wish had known this before I sold the PFE.

Pfizer Backtracks on Dividend Cut After Upjohn Spin -- Market Talk
DOW JONES & COMPANY, INC. 8:52 AM ET 4/22/2021
Symbol Last Price Change
VTRS 13.3down 0 (0%)
QUOTES AS OF 04:00:00 PM ET 04/21/2021
0852 ET - Pfizer reverses course on plans to reduce its dividend after hiving off its off-patent drugs business Upjohn. The New York drugmaker previously said it would reduce its payout by the amount of the dividend its shareholders would get from their new holdings of Viatris(VTRS), formed by the merger of Upjohn with generic drugmaker Mylan. But citing an expected strong financial performance, Pfizer now says it's maintaining its 39-cent quarterly dividend, meaning investors who still hold the Viatris(VTRS) shares they received in the spinoff will enjoy a bigger payout when Viatris(VTRS) starts paying dividends later this year. ([email protected])

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user