DIY Marine LEDS

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
With such a diverse group here, and based on how rabid some of my friends are about the more usual computer technological stuffs. (As far as I'm concerned most electronics are still devil magic) I figure there must be some more electrical engineer types that may also have marine aquariums they've dinked with.

I have a 55g long I'd like to take from T5's to LED at some point in the next year. I could drop 1600+ on 2 Radion's but I'm leaning towards DIY led since from what I've seen it's fairly simple even for an idiot, and great results.

I don't think anyone could hold my hand through the whole thing (unless they want to to show off to a relative luddite like myself) But I'd appreciate any known all in one explanation/walkthrough online. I've found various forums that have 100 page threads which have outdated info. (CREE E or C? used to be awesome 2 yrs ago, now are achaic by comparison) So I'm having tough time finding the best place to teach myself.

Unsure of if I want a Meanwell heatsink that doubles as the fixture/display or take an existing fixture and rig it up with fans. (Leaning towards meanwell.) Then there's choice of single chip vs pucks vs multichip to say nothing of lighting spectrum.

Who thought a coral tank would be so complicated eh?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
At first I thought he was talking about a fish tank, then I thought he was talking about a computer, and by the end I have no clue wither way.

Which reminds me...I'm hungry

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I believe he's talking about upgrading from fluorescent lighting to LED's for his aquarium. Get Big Ern up in this bitch.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to be an electrical engineer but I don't know anything about DIY aquarium lights, LED or otherwise. I think the aquarium message boards are probably your best bet.