Do you have health insurance?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
After the 87% discount, talked to my surgeon today and it turns out my appendix completely burst by the time he got in there. Probably gonna be in here 5-6 days if all goes well. Im guessing 8-10k out of pocket. But who the fuck knows ive been on dilaudid for 51 hours straight.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That sucks man, don't worry about the money yet, just get better and get out of the hospital first and foremost.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Holy shit bros they just dropped off the estimate. For 4 days 4 nites an appendectomy and a CT scan the undiscounted rate was $18952, with an 87% discount im out of pocket for $2463. Thats so much better than I could have hoped for.

I took a pic for the unbelievers but I guess I cant attach from my phone.

Denton Regional Medical Center for life yo!

*Apparently I did well enough today that they're kicking me out tommorrow. Wish I could stay one more day though. Still feel pretty fucking rough

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Disp_sl

shitlord
Definitely got lucky, but you may get future bills in a couple months, so just be aware. In Ca. it's $4-$5k/night just to stay overnight at the hospital, let alone the actual cost of the procedure. I had my tonsils removed 7-ish years ago and the 3-4 hour procedure was $13k.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I had a bilateral fasciotomy in all four compartments in my legs with a facility cost of $15,647 which I only had to pay around $500. Thank God for insurance. ;p

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got tired of the shittiness of Anthem Blue Cross website. After dealing with Online Banking since high school, I've built standards. Anthem doesn't tell you how much is owed, your payment history, a breakdown of expenses. It has operation hours! Their internet website only accepts payments in certain windows. If you try to pay or look at your stuff at normal-to-most-people after work hours, it will tell you to try again during their hours of operations - it's the fricken internet, install some queuing system. Their website was often down when you could get to it in their stupid window.
They have the gall to have a button allowing you to email them, "We like to hear your feedback on how we can make the site better" - how about adding common sense expected services.

Left them. Signed up for work insurance. Lost some offerings, gained some others, costs less overall. Waited for package to come. Got a paper saying the package would come. Waited some more. Several months go by and I check and no sign of me registering. So for like 3-4 months I've been without insurance. It's nice not paying nearly a week's worth of pay each month for a promise, but it also feels like I'm playing Russian Roulette and I pray nothing big happens to me until I get something.

On a side note, fiancee's Medicaid/Medicare is awesome and far superior in coverage to even the most advanced plans Anthem/Work provide. She had been in the hospital for 5 months and didn't have to pay anything, may less than 200$. Fully covered all her sonograms. The pregnancy itself will be nearly free. Will probably hold off marriage for 2 years or so because if we get married she loses it all. I cannot qualify because I don't buy tattoos and cigarettes and alcohol and bullshit, and thus have money in the bank despite shitty pay.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Back on parents policy til i'm 26, thanks obama.

I spent 2 years on my own and had an HSA with blue cross blue shield and that was long enough to develop enough hatred for the entire fucked up industry. I dont care if obamacare fucks everything up and half the country dies of dehydration at least the industry will have to change.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got tired of the shittiness of Anthem Blue Cross website. After dealing with Online Banking since high school, I've built standards. Anthem doesn't tell you how much is owed, your payment history, a breakdown of expenses. It has operation hours! Their internet website only accepts payments in certain windows. If you try to pay or look at your stuff at normal-to-most-people after work hours, it will tell you to try again during their hours of operations - it's the fricken internet, install some queuing system. Their website was often down when you could get to it in their stupid window.
They have the gall to have a button allowing you to email them, "We like to hear your feedback on how we can make the site better" - how about adding common sense expected services.

Left them. Signed up for work insurance. Lost some offerings, gained some others, costs less overall. Waited for package to come. Got a paper saying the package would come. Waited some more. Several months go by and I check and no sign of me registering. So for like 3-4 months I've been without insurance. It's nice not paying nearly a week's worth of pay each month for a promise, but it also feels like I'm playing Russian Roulette and I pray nothing big happens to me until I get something.

On a side note, fiancee's Medicaid/Medicare is awesome and far superior in coverage to even the most advanced plans Anthem/Work provide. She had been in the hospital for 5 months and didn't have to pay anything, may less than 200$. Fully covered all her sonograms. The pregnancy itself will be nearly free. Will probably hold off marriage for 2 years or so because if we get married she loses it all. I cannot qualify because I don't buy tattoos and cigarettes and alcohol and bullshit, and thus have money in the bank despite shitty pay.
I made the same rant about Anthem years ago lol.

I get decision anxiety everytime I look at healthcare stuff. It never seems to add up to me.

I guess in response to Trump everybody's fleeing the marketplace and I need to sign up for different coverage - plus, my son was randomly dropped.
I'm at least above average smart and this shit is difficult, I can't imagine how the morass of idiots are faring.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Do you pay for health insurance at work?

I just found out i'm eligible for health/dental/vision insurance, but I'm hesitant to spend the $200 a month or so to get it.
How'd it go, Porky? Did you spend the ekstra money?

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Back on parents policy til i'm 26, thanks obama.

I spent 2 years on my own and had an HSA with blue cross blue shield and that was long enough to develop enough hatred for the entire fucked up industry. I dont care if obamacare fucks everything up and half the country dies of dehydration at least the industry will have to change.
Plot twist a decade later, it didn’t change. Turns out Obamacare was written by the insurance and hospital lobby lol

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Because someone necro'd this thread, I clicked on it and saw Porkchop Porkchop 's OP:

Do you pay for health insurance at work?

I just found out i'm eligible for health/dental/vision insurance, but I'm hesitant to spend the $200 a month or so to get it.

$200/month... How far we've fallen. I pay $1700/month now. Thanks Obama

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Because someone necro'd this thread, I clicked on it and saw Porkchop Porkchop 's OP:

$200/month... How far we've fallen. I pay $1700/month now. Thanks Obama
What state, how many people, through your employer, health+vision+dental, preexisting conditions?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
None of your business, None of your business, None of your business, None of your business, None of your business, None of your business, and None of your business. :)

The government wrecked healthcare (just like everything else) via the 3rd party payer effect:

PS I used to have cheap health insurance 11 years ago too. It's not me, it's them