Do you have health insurance?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For half the price. It is the same cost to your employer whether they give the money to you or to the insurance company. If you had an extra $2000 in your paycheck every month instead of that coverage, you could get more appropriate coverage and pay for your own massage and come out $1000 ahead every month. I think that unions are stupid for pushing for these Cadillac health plans instead of more pay raises.
And for a 4th time I'll tell you, I wouldn't get that 2 grand, no job related to mine comes close to paying that much more, even cut it in half and it wouldn't.

To insure the family of 5 I have on it now with Dental, Vision, and everything health related you can imagine with no deductible and no out of pocket would cost me more then a grand.

And for a 5th time, my job wouldn't come close to making up the difference, I may get 1/4 of that 2k....maybe. Thats it....and I still come out behind.

Is this the case with most others? no, but it is with me and I have no illusions about it.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
As a hospital administrator this thread interests me. I'm the CNO (Chief Nursing Officer) at my hospital, and have served as a regional administrator over several other hospitals in our company. I've been educated on the PPACA (Obamacare) until I'm blue in the face, and have written multiple provider/insurance contracts.

I see the point of nearly every post in this thread. I'm a bit one-sided to the discussion as I deal with those without coverage every day and see the effects it can have on a family. I'm also VERY fortunate to be in a position where my health coverage is affordable.

What truly concerns me is what I know of the PPACA and how it will effect the general public over the next 8 years, regardless of who is in office or what party is in control. This question will take on a different shape, and will have much more drastic effects for some.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I told him $20 for gas and $11 for parking.
They charge parking at a hospital? Thats fucked up.

BTW, thanks everybody for the comments. I went ahead and signed up for the "full network" HMO option with Blue Shield California. No deductibles and $15 co-pays. Better to have it and not need it I guess.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
No insurance here. Could get it through work but my companies insurance is literally laughable. It was shit to begin with but when they sent us our benefit info this year I actually laughed...

Anyways I have not looked recently but the last time I did acceptable coverage was simply out of reach for me. Started out with pre-existing conditions related to my back/hands but I was also mugged leading to even more delightful, lifelong health problems. See my doc once a month for schedule 2 meds and will for the rest of my life. Any plan I found that I could reasonably afford I would piss through the annual limit within six months. As a single 27yo with no children I had that option at least. Hoping the new laws will allow me to get some form of beneficial coverage.

terapin_sl

shitlord
I think that unions are stupid for pushing for these Cadillac health plans instead of more pay raises.
I used to think the same way. Until my kid got hit by a car. 11 months hospital and rehab, 3.2 million dollars in hospital bills. I was out of pocket something like 120 dollars. The insurance company never said no. From special booties to increase blood flow in his feet, to private ambulances to transport to different hospitals they covered it all. Its a gamble do you spend 400 dollars a month on insurance or throw the dice and hope you never need it. Obviously we would have been devastated financially, and my son probably would not have made the recovery he did if we did not have insurance.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
No insurance here. Could get it through work but my companies insurance is literally laughable. It was shit to begin with but when they sent us our benefit info this year I actually laughed...

Anyways I have not looked recently but the last time I did acceptable coverage was simply out of reach for me. Started out with pre-existing conditions related to my back/hands but I was also mugged leading to even more delightful, lifelong health problems. See my doc once a month for schedule 2 meds and will for the rest of my life. Any plan I found that I could reasonably afford I would piss through the annual limit within six months. As a single 27yo with no children I had that option at least. Hoping the new laws will allow me to get some form of beneficial coverage.
Get a plan that has at least a $150,000 limit. You mean you'll be hitting THAT limit within 6 months in terms of medical?

I'm on student insurance, but it's effin' great. 80/20 plan with low OOP and low deductible. High annual limit. Before that, I got denied by a private insurer because I told them I was on isonizaid for latent tuberculosis. What fucking cockgobblers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm in MA, not sure on other states but we get penalized here if we don't have it. It's something like $15/week from my job that I work 5 hours a week at, peanuts really. The only place that ever turned me down was my gym was giving $10/month discounts if you showed them proof of insurance and they said mine wasn't valid. DICK SUCKS.

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know who your employer is, but let me tell you, a plan with a $200 deductible and is $80 every 2 weeks for a family of four is in the top 5% of plans available out there right now. If you ever have ANY problems with claims or anything let me know and I will fix that shit
Good to know, thanks. They have always been decent with me. There was only ever one time a claim was screwed up, but that was my company's HR being retarded at the time, so it was all cleared up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to think the same way. Until my kid got hit by a car. 11 months hospital and rehab, 3.2 million dollars in hospital bills. I was out of pocket something like 120 dollars. The insurance company never said no. From special booties to increase blood flow in his feet, to private ambulances to transport to different hospitals they covered it all. Its a gamble do you spend 400 dollars a month on insurance or throw the dice and hope you never need it. Obviously we would have been devastated financially, and my son probably would not have made the recovery he did if we did not have insurance.
Yeah, and the guy that won the lottery thinks that lottery tickets are a great investment. I'm not saying don't have insurance, and with a lesser plan you might have been out of pocket 10-20 grand but the odds of something like that happening don't match the difference in price for the no deductible type health car plans. Like I said, I paid in 66k to my insurance over 10 years. If I had paid half that much I could have had quite a bit of medical expense and still come out ahead.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of NC through my company, coverage for family is about $200 a month. Also have dental/optical coverage and short long term disability which adds maybe $10 more a month. Single coverage is like $160 a month.

I was 32 when I had a bout with atrial fibrillation, cost me 2k out of pocket - insurance paid about $40,000.

If you can get health insurance at any age I highly recommend it. Would like to hear more about Kalec's take on a "universal" coverage plan.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yes. Health care is payed via taxes in the land of vikings.

Personal income tax in Denmark is one of the worlds highest:progressive and capped at 51,5%.

Approximately 15% finances free health care for every citizen. In contrast 43% is spent on social welfare, 3% on defense, 2% on public safety, 14% on free school system.Link in danish.

How does that sound to hardworking Americans like yourselves?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, and the guy that won the lottery thinks that lottery tickets are a great investment. I'm not saying don't have insurance, and with a lesser plan you might have been out of pocket 10-20 grand but the odds of something like that happening don't match the difference in price for the no deductible type health car plans.Like I said, I paid in 66k to my insurance over 10 years.If I had paid half that much I could have had quite a bit of medical expense and still come out ahead.
Crazy, at my current rate in 10 years I'll have paid $10,680.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Crazy, at my current rate in 10 years I'll have paid $10,680.
Been at my job for 9. Health care is no cost, $100 deductible for office visits yearly, $1000 deductible for major surgery.

So in the just over 9 years, I've spent, uhh...probably $3000 total. No doubt we could probably make more money without it, but I highly doubt it would come close to what we make with it. That's just not the way most companies work.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Been at my job for 9. Health care is no cost, .
Think I'm a little confused here. Are you saying you're getting free insurance through your job? They're not giving you a list of different types of options at the beginning of the year?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Full company paid health care. We've got a $20 co-pay for office visits, $100 deductible per person, per year, $1000 deductible for major surgery.

No options. You just get it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
It sounds similar to how my student insurance works. You have to pay for it before each semester but there's only one option. I would definitely ask HR if they're deducting money from your pay for insurance. Just seems bizarre unless that's the norm now.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
They're definitely not deducting money. Union plan.

The union gave up a lot of shit to keep the full company paid health care over the last 10 years or so, but it is definitely full company paid. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get the argument that opening the door to paying money just means we'll be paying for our health care, and never get back all the shit we bargained away.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Same here Cut, matter of fact, our Union contract ended Oct. 6th and we've been day to day ever since with the company paid health care being the sole reason an agreement hasn't been reached yet. In the end the company will cave, they'll have to. If we strike then they will then have 14 states with zero income coming in from them and no one to maintain their lines. I think last time there was a strike it was in 1998 and lasted 10 days and cost the company $20 million. 14 years later it's going to cost them much much more if it comes to that.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Our contract is up this year too, and the company will cave if we don't. Unfortunately, we've got a lot of pussies who are willing to sell the farm away. They talk a big talk, and then all go vote yes on whatever bullshit proposal the company offers up. It's how we lost the 5th week of vacation, 17 sick days, and pretty much all raises for the last 8 years.

Hey, I don't wanna go on strike either, but it's a lot better than continually getting my job stolen out from under me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah we kinda have something like that going on too, we have a couple of our head guys saying "If we strike then the single mother with a kid can't live off $200 a week strike wages" while the rest of us say "Neither can those of of who are married with families of 5, but we realize we'd rather have a hard time of it for a few weeks then eventually get a wage where can can no longer live off of it.

It's bullshit really, contract was up almost 3 months ago and this day to day stuff just further empowers the company to do whatever the fuck they want.

Our techs also still get pensions and I know those are on the chopping block too. I don't get one, just 401K matching so while I don't give a shit if pensions for them go away or not, i can see why they would want to fight for them.