Doctor Who

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if this has been covered but in the BBC Christmas TV magazine there's an interview with Moffat who says we'll find out that Matt Smith is the 13th Doctor and that "some fundamental Doctor Who myths and stories will be either turned right on their head or completely re-imagined'."

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as long as we get a new doctor and matt smith leaves, i dont care how they explain it. smith was awesome his first season, but he steadily gets on your nerves after that. i dont hate the guy, but i am ready for somebody else.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Matt Smith has been my favorite Doctor. As sad as I am to see him go, I can't help but be pumped for Capaldi.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hell even if they don't have the whole Gallifrey Council give him a new set from saving Gallifrey, they could simply go way back and say the part where River gave all her remaining regenerations to save him from the poison in "Lets Kill Hitler" gave him more regenerations. Could be a stretch but it could work.

Funny thing though, you catch on to a lot rewatching previous episodes. I could be streching it, but I just rewatched the Demon's Run episode on this marathon on BBC atm, and at the point where Rory went to pick up River, and joked at how "unless there are TWO of them", River made the comment of how "that's an ENTIRELY different birthday" - probably nothing, but was that Moffett possibly hinting at the 50th Anniversary Birthday where we had Tennant and Smith?
biggrin.png
Like I said, probably a stretch but still hilarious none the less.

Inque

FunEmployed
The episode where they ran into the multiple versions of Smith and River during "The Last Night" etc may have been the reference, those were the bonus episodes on the DVDs. I'm willing to bet you're correct though, it's a reference to the 50th instead.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
MEGA SPOILERS
Okay so Tasha Lem, the Mother Superioress of the Papal Mainframe is clearly River Song although to their credit they never actually come out and say this. She knows how to fly the Tardis, clearly has had a romantic relationship with the Doctor and most significantly: "You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life, shut up and win!"

So somehow the computer in the Library became the Papal Mainframe and River continues on...albeit in a very different sort of body. The episode does an excellent job of tying together the various threads of the 11th Doctor and clears the way for the 12th to take the stage. I wonder how significant the final line of the episode will be? Does the 12th really manage to forget how to properly pilot the TARDIS and we return back to semi-random wandering?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Peter Capaldi? On this show. What the fucking fuck is going on here. You can't even curse on this show can you?

Excuse my ignorance, huge Capaldi fan but not so much this show. Every time I watched it the guy playing the Doctor seemed like a cornball.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Terrible.

Smith deserved way better than that. Moffat really fucked up this ending. There was no build up, no emotion to it, nothing. The one thing that got me in the feels was Amy Pond coming back.

Stop reusing the Doctor's most impressive villains over and over. You're ruining their impressiveness. Nobody goes "OH SHIT!" anymore when you see the Daleks or Cybermen. Now you can't go 3 episodes without them. They're no longer that unbeatable race, or the race that was infinitely and finally wiped out. And the Angels? What a fucking copout.

Hated it.

Terrible.

Smith deserved way better than that. Moffat really fucked up this ending. There was no build up, no emotion to it, nothing. The one thing that got me in the feels was Amy Pond coming back.

Stop reusing the Doctor's most impressive villains over and over. You're ruining their impressiveness. Nobody goes "OH SHIT!" anymore when you see the Daleks or Cybermen. Now you can't go 3 episodes without them. They're no longer that unbeatable race, or the race that was infinitely and finally wiped out. And the Angels? What a fucking copout.

Hated it.
I do think that ultimately he was a little short changed. I disagree totally with the notion that Cybermen and Daleks are losing their luster. For me, the Daleks and Cybermen have never really been "Oh Shit!" villains as much as I always had a fondness for them based on the fact that The Doctor had been battling them for the last 50 years.

Amy Pond coming back was dogshit for emotional tugging compared to the fact that right before regeneration there is a slow motion scene of him dropping his bow-tie. I also really appreciated the half eaten bowl of fish fingers and custard on the TARDIS console. It was the subtle things like these that made the episode for me. The only thing I would have changed would be changing Tasha Lem into River Song. The role seemed tailor made to be River, especially with Tasha saying things like how it was easy to pilot the TARDIS and when the Doctor reveals that she has been fighting the psychopath inside all her life. It's like the role was originally supposed to be River, but the actress couldn't do it.

If I can find the article, I will post it, but I also remember reading that Smiths final monologue before regenerating was entirely improv and are his personal thoughts on being The Doctor which always makes it worse. It was like when Tennant said he didn't want to go.

Edit: Qhue beat me to it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
MEGA SPOILERS
Okay so Tasha Lem, the Mother Superioress of the Papal Mainframe is clearly River Song although to their credit they never actually come out and say this. She knows how to fly the Tardis, clearly has had a romantic relationship with the Doctor and most significantly: "You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life, shut up and win!"

So somehow the computer in the Library became the Papal Mainframe and River continues on...albeit in a very different sort of body. The episode does an excellent job of tying together the various threads of the 11th Doctor and clears the way for the 12th to take the stage. I wonder how significant the final line of the episode will be? Does the 12th really manage to forget how to properly pilot the TARDIS and we return back to semi-random wandering?
Damn Qhue. Great catch. Also explains why in the failed timeline her grave would have been there.

Fuck the Smith haters. This was a great closeout. I loved the "one upping" of Tennant's regeneration. Tennant blew up part of the TARDIS, Smith blew up the fucking Daleks and created a firestorm of regeneration.

The pop in of Capaldi was great, especially after Smith went on and on about not forgetting one single line....DO YOU KNOW HOW TO FLY THIS THING?

Also a great reference to the Five Doctors. 'Nicked it off the Master in the Dead Zone.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
that was ok, not mindblowing or anything that spectacularly, but it does the job. i thought tennant's "i dont want to go" line was corny as fuck and it stands out as a strike against his doctor. i thought the premise of all the doctor's biggest baddies spending all their time fucking with him was weak, i kept asking myself. wait, they finally got the doctor trapped like they wanted to in the pandorica and they cant let him stay there making toys while they take over the universe? i guess i missed some important key dialogue that explains this, i always do, but it felt like they just wanted a way to retrospect Smith's accomplishments in a neat little package that sorta kinda moves the plot along.

other notes, is clara's grandmother the same old woman that was lusting after the doctor on the "doctor tour" in tennant's last episode with the master? i dunno if tasha is riversong 2.0 but i hope not because if they ditched the old actress because she was getting too old to be a love interest then they fucked up because she is perfectly age appropriate for cappaldi. so will there be new doctor episodes in 2014?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Also note that Tasha is short for Natasha = Birth Day and is a name often given to girls born around Christmas and Lem backwards is...

moontayle

Golden Squire
Completely missed the Tasha Lem thing but Moffat all but smacked us over the head with it. "Driving the TARDIS is easy, it's driving the Doctor that's hard."

I thought it was a good send off. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with Capaldi though.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Didn't enjoy this episode much at all. Thought it was a mish mash. Moffat following on from Davies in creating too many twists and sub plots and trying to be too clever.

Cybsled

Ya, spot on about Tasha Lem being River Song. I also did like how this episode did explain certain things, like why the TARDIS blew up.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This episode was about tying up most of the loose ends so they wouldn't be bogged down with outstanding details and looming fixed points with the new set of regenerations. I don't think that's a bad thing, I just wish they had picked something better than a mysterious town named Christmas full of people we don't care about as the Doctor's "last stand". The villains were all familiar, but the protected were extras.

That's why the most interesting things in this episode weren't tied up revelations but what new details were introduced for later stories.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, once Tasha came back for Clara it was pretty obvious who that was. He really did all but smack us in the face with it.

I feel like we only got about 2/3 of that episode. There were entire stretches of it that felt abbreviated. Knowing that Smiths speech at the end was improved makes it much better. One problem in the writing is that it was starting to become too self aware, but for the actors final scene that sort of self awareness is a different thing. It's not a play, he can't come out and take a bow after the curtain. That speech substitutes.

With how sentimental Smiths doctor became I think that it played the cheap emotion just about right though. Amy Pond had to be there, and I'm glad she was, even if she was just a hallucination.

Of course the one glaring hole I see, the really major one, is that the tardis didn't get biggie sized to stand over his tomb. Of course I guess it doesn't have to... it can always go sentinel his tomb at any point in the future. But that one struck me as, "Well.. I guess they either forgot about that or they decided that it was too convoluted to work in."