Doom: Annihilation

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If you've seen the first Resident Movie... You've seen this. It's terrible.

Siliconemelons

yeah, it's a fun movie. and dude getting turned into cube steak was hilarious

That was actually a very well shot scene. We had the establishment of what the lazers could do, we had the cool/oh my! gorss! shot already- so how can you one up it? well, you cant..visually... so do it with an actual good character and suspense moment. How the camera just passed by Morpheus and kept going straight in on Leelo multipass's face as she watched in open eyed horror at what she was seeing - it was great, then topped off with that we "see" him fall apart in the blurry reflection that hits your own mind to put it together for yourself in a better more horrific scene than CGI could have done.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, totally agree. the scene is set up very well to match and then subvert your expectations on who gets through it. in a lot of movies like this, when a death happens, you are rooting for the death scene more than the characters, but when the laser grid shows up, you end up having the same feeling as the character. you can see on his face the exact expression of "i got thi-oh fuck" and instead of, like you said, failing to show it properly and taking away the emotional agency, the movie just lets you piece together the horror of it. i don't know if it would have worked the way it does if the dude before him didn't already get cut in half.

edit: meanwhile, in the final chapter, they revisit the laser grid and it's just a choppy mess. there are camera changes every half second...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Siliconemelons

yeah, totally agree. the scene is set up very well to match and then subvert your expectations on who gets through it. in a lot of movies like this, when a death happens, you are rooting for the death scene more than the characters, but when the laser grid shows up, you end up having the same feeling as the character. you can see on his face the exact expression of "i got thi-oh fuck" and instead of, like you said, failing to show it properly and taking away the emotional agency, the movie just lets you piece together the horror of it. i don't know if it would have worked the way it does if the dude before him didn't already get cut in half.

edit: meanwhile, in the final chapter, they revisit the laser grid and it's just a choppy mess. there are camera changes every half second...

Yeah, in the first movie it was well done - I get that it was not "the game" and the ending with umbralla rushing in was cheese "Get him to the NEMISIS PROJECT HURHAHAHRR!"- but really, it was actually a well done movie... it was dark, the intro where the system killed everyone was suspenseful etc.

The last one I watched was... I forgot the 2nd? or 3rd from the last - ended on some big oil tanker boat with some dude that is some hybrid and could open his mouth like a super vampire from blade II... I really wanted to finish the movie series but I lost track of their order.

I still put RE1 on a different tier of movie than all the followups - they just got convoluted and a cluster of plot that was actually well set in 1

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If forced to watch Last Jedi again or this....?

What do you do?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If forced to watch Last Jedi again or this....?

What do you do?
This. No contest. Doom is a goofy IP horror that had a goofy movie, and this looks like another goofy movie. Par for the course. TLJ is an awful movie, a franchise killer and raper of memories all rolled into one. I haven't watch this, but I bet it has a more coherent plot than TLJ.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This. No contest. Doom is a goofy IP horror that had a goofy movie, and this looks like another goofy movie. Par for the course. TLJ is an awful movie, a franchise killer and raper of memories all rolled into one. I haven't watch this, but I bet it has a more coherent plot than TLJ.

this is probably extremely accurate. simplified; without having watched doom, i'd put money down that doom is terribly acted with a cohesive plot, whereas TLJ was well acted but the plot was both internally and externally inconsistent.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
whereas TLJ was well acted
giphy.gif

• 2Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This is not a good movie, but it is definitely better than TLJ in terms of what I would rather watch again if forced. If Trooper Li had gotten naked, I might even call the movie ok.