DOOM

Kintun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well the speed was more in Quake (thinking way back when). I picture BFG's fired at the wall or a door from the delay, or tracking rocket hits to the wall for splash, ditto for Plasma. And the satisfying double barrel shotgun to the face when D2 came out. Run strafing for the increased speed was a new idea when this came out.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm looking forward to all the salt from everyone here who used to rock [DooM] back in '95 getting smoked. I'll be one of you and I'm super stoked...but age and reflexes catch up.
Sounds like someone used to crying 'lpb' tbh.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm looking forward to all the salt from everyone here who used to rock [DooM] back in '95 getting smoked. I'll be one of you and I'm super stoked...but age and reflexes catch up.
Reaction time is an excuse. You can compete at high levels still being an old fart. You may not go pro at Doom but you can still frag people by simply be better than your opponent. If you lose a duel it isn't because those young kids and their quick reaction times its because you suck.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you're my dad who was relatively decent at "2D" Doom 2, then yeah, you're going to get smoked in Doom (4). If you could compete in Unreal Tournament or Quake 3, it's not going to be much different. If you're used to anti-terrorist vs terrorist, battlefield, or call of duty, it's going to be very different. Closest thing today is Halo, and Halo is missing a ton of gameplay mechanics present in Doom.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Doom open beta the 15th - 17th:DOOM on Twitter:

I also tried making a video for the first time in my life about my favorite weapon combo from my time in the closed beta. Watch it if you want to steal my loadout for the open beta!

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weapon... loadouts?
bold-strategy.png

Yeah, it is what it is I guess. Sucks that everybody has access to a rocket launcher right off the bat each life but, what can you do?

I'm hoping their SnapMap tech or modding will let you create normal DM maps, but if not, it's still been a lot of fun so far.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like someone used to crying 'lpb' tbh.
Real talk from an OG Team Fortress game chat log. I will never forget it.

HPW: YOU ARE ALL PING
LPB: You're right, my ping aims and shoots for me.
HPW: WHATEVER MAN, YOU ARE ALL PING

For you new assholes, HPW stood for high ping wussy.

spronk

FPS noob
cancelled my preorder, they also announced a $40 season pass which will have 3 map pack drops which pretty much means the playerbase will be split pretty hard once they drop. game is fun but not $100 fun. rocket launcher/shotgun not actually slowing people down at all is a huge flaw in the game, its just weird running behind someone, rocketing them, and it having zero impact on their speed / direction.

still open beta should be fun, but the 10-20 hours you can play there is more than enough for most people

some of the weapons definitely need to be moved out from loadout to weapon drops, like super shotty and as sir funk noticed the static cannon seems a bit OP

be also interesting to see how the season pass/DLC plans affect the mod tools, plus how the PC mod tools will be affected by the mod tools being released on console too

Caliane

To be fair, did it ever cause any kind of knockback in the doom franchise? I saw that as more of a Quake feature. Though the pushback in quake got weaker each game.
yeah.

granted yes it was more in quake, since doom didn't have up or down movement.

But still, shots had impact.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Told ya this game sucks.
smile.png
Open Beta 4-15 so you can see the suck yourself.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
idk, I can't name a better deathmatch experience out there currently. I definitely wouldn't say it sucks, even if it isn't a direct remake of what we expect from a Doom/Quake game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
cancelled my preorder, they also announced a $40 season pass which will have 3 map pack drops which pretty much means the playerbase will be split pretty hard once they drop. game is fun but not $100 fun. rocket launcher/shotgun not actually slowing people down at all is a huge flaw in the game, its just weird running behind someone, rocketing them, and it having zero impact on their speed / direction.
Bethesda.net

I am not very excited about these being behind paywalls:

Three new maps
One new weapon
One new playable demon
One new armor set
One new piece of equipment

...why. Assuming the game succeeds there will be even more behind paywalls. Not a fan.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This game seems to be heading the way of Evolve and Titanfall, unless the single player delivers blowjobs, people will joke about it for years to come and Bethesda/ID are murdering one of the most famous names in the industry. There's a lot of negativity right now and they are doing nothing to dispel that.