DOTA 2

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Map awareness has been the bane of my competitive gaming forever from Starcraft to Dota and is by far the biggest limiting factor in my play ATM. I think I'm going to play some games with nothing but global heros (treeant, AA, NP, Zeus spectre etc) until I'm blue in the fucking face and/or map awareness improves.

groovy_and_sl

shitlord
I'm in the same boat, and I think NP is one of the best heroes for learning map awareness. Probably any split pusher, but with NP it's always painfully obvious how weak my map awareness is.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Treant is the best for this I think. You just need to get used to it ad I still get tunnel vision easily when playing carries.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I highly suggest watching a replay from your own personal perspective. It can be really eye opening to watch your camera movement, how many times you actually check on allies/enemies for their item progression, tp scrolls, regen etc.

Cybsled

I've been wanting to put $60 into this game since it's F2P and I want to support the game and community and I feel I've defiantly gotten that much value out of this game already to justify that in my head. I just don't give a shit about cosmetic items at all. Any suggestions? Might buy some announcer packs like the above.
Can't go wrong with an announcer pack, especially some of the newer ones. If you like Portal, the Glados one is good. Her mega kill pack seems to be more popular than her game announcer pack from the games I play in. "Serial killer! War Criminal! Triple homicide!". The regular announcer pack for her she basically shit talks you and makes you feel bad...just like Glados does in Portal ;p "This may be the most heroic thing you've ever. While sitting motionless. In your parent's basement."

Bastian announcer pack is popular as well.

You may also like some of the HUDs out there. They are cosmetic, but I like the darker color schemes on a few of them vs. the standard bright one. You also can't go wrong with the Ember Crane Lina loading screen...while you wait for the game to load, you at least get to look at giant breasts instead of the standard DOTA logo ;p It's funny...if you go on the market, that is the -only- loading screen selling for any respectable amount of money ($5-6 on average...runner up is a Windrunner that seems to average around a buck).

Also, while not purely cosmetic, you can buy gems that track things like kills, gold spent, wins, certain special abilities (ie, pudge hook kills) and socket them into the cosmetic items. It's a fun way to keep track of your success with a particular hero and acts as a sort of "e-peen" meter if people inspect your hero's item loadout. If they see you have hundreds of kills with Invoker and like 100+ sunstrike kills, they know you mean business
wink.png

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Check the market for items you might want before you buy through the store interface, in general you'll get a discount.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
the global heroes are great for learning to be aware of the mini map but honestly i think playing supports in general really helps teach more game awareness. In a general sense just keeping an eye on the enemy movements and warding accordingly so you always have eyes on them is huge for your whole team. Also during the laning phase you can really change the flow of a game with a timely tp to save your mid from an attempted gank or maybe seeing the opposing safe lane diving your off lane and you tp in and all of a sudden your team gets a kill instead. I think doing things like that help increase your general game sense more then playing something like a np but thats just me. as an aside of sorts I still am not very good at doing any of this but it was one of the first things Reth brought up to me when I asked him for help.

calla_sl

shitlord
playing global heroes is not a good way to build map awareness. like night said, playing support will. because if you dont pay attention to the map, youre dead. no better way to learn unless you like to stare at your respawn timer.

np could possibly help but he is easily countered

Sulrn

Deuces
NP teaches you to look for opportunity, which is by and far the most important aspect of map awareness.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Random question here. I'm almost positive this doesn't exist but figured I'd ask anyway. Is there any website that details past broadcasts of streamers? Such as people the streamer partied with or the heroes the streamer played?

I enjoy a lot of the streams much more when they actually party up with someone. AdmiralBulldongs stream is much more interesting when he streams with Bububu, Xyclopz (specifically), Sheever, or Bumie not so much when it's a solo stream. As of now I just fast forward through the streams to see if it's party or not, but it'd be nice if someone knew of a magical solution to this first world problem.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Ive looked at np as teaching good decision making. The first thing you ask is where is everyone then move from there. For instance you see them spread out farming then you can either push a lane or try to gank. If they're grouping to push (and this is a weakness of alot of nps at my Level suck at this) then your first 2 thoughts should be can my team defend or fight without me and if not can I make a difference. Guess what im getting at is hes great for learning decision making and awareness but if you dont already have that decision making theres better heroes to play to work on awareness

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seems unreasonable that Sigma was allowed to have 3-standins from the same team (dog) against Fnatic.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
they need to update the graphics engine or something. compared to Blizzard's new game, this is going to look dated as fuck.

Cybsled

People play LoL with it's shitty graphics, so I don't imagine DOTA2's looks will hurt that much.