DOTA 2

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cloud-9 ran a farming Jakiro in the finals of ESL One qualifiers against Empire.

They won, but the early-mid game didn't go spectacularly so I doubt they will do it again. That said the final fight Empire instantly melted to the vacuum+wall+macropyre.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to go carry Jakiro in Dota 1 a long, long time ago. Getting damage items like MKB/S&Y, slowing them down and then destroying them as they tried to run. If they ganged you, Ice path and Ult, fight in your own fire and they all would melt.

Never seen it in Dota 2 though, lol.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I used to go carry Jakiro in Dota 1 a long, long time ago. Getting damage items like MKB/S&Y, slowing them down and then destroying them as they tried to run. If they ganged you, Ice path and Ult, fight in your own fire and they all would melt.

Never seen it in Dota 2 though, lol.
GANG?

What are you a fucking peruvian?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Jakiro is really shitty core unless you are giving him space to farm up mek/pipe/scepter/necro and their carry isn't rushing a bkb. Ice path is still really strong spell and macropyre with scepter, well, some people just want to see the world burn. Combo him with DS, shaker, furion, clock, treant or ss and you have pretty powerful teamfight.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jakiro is really shitty core unless you are giving him space to farm up mek/pipe/scepter/necro and their carry isn't rushing a bkb. Ice path is still really strong spell and macropyre with scepter, well, some people just want to see the world burn. Combo him with DS, shaker, furion, clock, treant or ss and you have pretty powerful teamfight.
I agree, other than Aghs (+veil) he doesn't really gain very much with farm. That said he seems under picked in the pro scene, he has huge magic damage, pushes creeps fast and has high tower damage.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is seriously one of the greatest threads, just everyone trying to convince him not to do it and he seems pretty damn content on dying.

I can't wait.

Cybsled

The new stretch goals are lame.

6.8 mil - some daily challenge where if you win with a certain hero, you get 25 compendium pts (shit)
7.2mil - Vote on a hero to get an alternate voice/dialogue pack. Compendium owners get a copy of the item (eh, could be neat I guess)
7.6mil - Some min/max tool you can use to compare how you did in GPM/XPM with your least played heroes (meh)
8 mil - Vote for which hero gets a reworked model (Something that would have happened anyways, but you can at least vote for who gets it 1st)
8.4mil - custom multi-kill banner (meh)
8.8mil - they broadcast the afterparty (meh)
9.2mil - creep models change after you kill rax (meh)
9.6mil - A-Z hero challenge support (meh)
10mil - some ability to do a voice taunt at start of match and prediction tracking blah blah (meh)

Wtf Valve...have the balls to make 10mil "Techies is released"! DO IT!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So how do people feel about the prize pool distribution - and what it should theoretically be now that we've crossed 6 million. Here is a brief article about the scale of the money in context of cost of living in SEA.#BiggestPrizePool: TI4 and why its huge prize pool matters - Mineski

The article doesn't really hit on it, but how do people feel about payouts from 9-16? And if so what is reasonable. I'm of the opinion that 9/16th should get 50k/team at least. That still leaves 5.6 million right now to the top 8. I would like it better if 5 guys didn't make 500,000 dollars each. Which as that article points out is damn near jaedong's lifetime earnings in starcraft/II. 50-100 thousand dollars allows for salary/teamhouse/stability/reward for actually making it to TI. And shit - top 80 players and the bottom 40 get a trip? As a fan I'd rather more people get paid because these guys aren't making dick for salaries (mostly). Any SEA/Eastern European/Chinese teams this is life altering money and a a huge chunk of change for everywhere else.

Just some figures to assist discussion.

1% of the prizepool is now 60,000
5% is 300,000
8% is 480,000. (1% per bottom 8)

Here is last years distribution.The International 2013 - Liquipedia Dota 2 Wiki89% of the prizepool went to the top 4. 8% for 5/6 3% for 7/8th

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why does Mineski care how the prize pool is distributed? Kappa

NI2tnSb.png

Getting a vacation and 75k for being the 8th worst is pretty good.

Cybsled

So how do people feel about the prize pool distribution - and what it should theoretically be now that we've crossed 6 million. Here is a brief article about the scale of the money in context of cost of living in SEA.#BiggestPrizePool: TI4 and why its huge prize pool matters - Mineski

The article doesn't really hit on it, but how do people feel about payouts from 9-16? And if so what is reasonable. I'm of the opinion that 9/16th should get 50k/team at least. That still leaves 5.6 million right now to the top 8. I would like it better if 5 guys didn't make 500,000 dollars each. Which as that article points out is damn near jaedong's lifetime earnings in starcraft/II. 50-100 thousand dollars allows for salary/teamhouse/stability/reward for actually making it to TI. And shit - top 80 players and the bottom 40 get a trip? As a fan I'd rather more people get paid because these guys aren't making dick for salaries (mostly). Any SEA/Eastern European/Chinese teams this is life altering money and a a huge chunk of change for everywhere else.

5% is 300,000

Here is last years distribution.The International 2013 - Liquipedia Dota 2 Wiki89% of the prizepool went to the top 4. 8% for 5/6 3% for 7/8th
I do feel that everyone this year should get some financial prize just for making it vs. the past models of 9-16 gettting jackshit. Obviously 1st place has the most room for trim, although you still need a hefty prize (need that golden apple to motivate people). Lets say you made it 40% for 1st prize. Even with a very conservative 6.5mil final prize pool, that means 2,600,000 for 1st prize (520k before taxes per player). Then maybe trim 2nd place to 20% (which yields 1.3mil with that 6.5mil prize pool total). That gives you 12% to play with if you used last year's distribution model.

It went 50-22-10-7-4-4-1.5-1.5. 9 through 16 got shit.

If you went this year, you could do a 40-20-10-7-5-5-2-2-1.5-1.5-1-1-1-1-1-1. Or you could make 16th place 0.5% and split the remaining 0.5% among the wildcards that don't make it past that round. It makes the prize pool distribution a little richer for the bottom guys, includes the 9-16 (or more) folks, and it still doesn't really penalize the top guys since there is so much cash available.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Edit: You beat me to it with just some simple math.

The mineski article is merely putting the amount of money in context to where they are from. Secondly that chart is based on 5 million. We're already at 6, and more than 2 months out.

I was more interested in a discussion of if people were in favor of distributing the prize something like this
First 40%
Second 20%
Third 10%
Fourth 7%
5th/6th 5%
7/8th 2.5%
9-16th split the remaining 8% Or even give 9-12th slightly more than 13-16th.

First place is still going to take home damn close if not more than 3 million dollars.

an accordion_sl

shitlord

5% is 300,000

I don't think it's really the duty of the tournament organizers to ensure that teams have reasonable salaries. Their job is to provide airfare, accommodations and a comfortable play area, while competently broadcasting the event. All these teams have managers (and some even coaches), it's on them to ensure their players have appropriate salaries and enough to comfortably live. I know it definitely doesn't work like that in terms of team salaries, but that's no one's fault except the players/teams. Why should we feel pity for them and redistribute prize pools?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I agree with you on general principle about tournament organizers, but this isn't just a tournament, and this isn't just a prize pool. As a fan, I would rather know that all 80 players at TI4 get rewarded for being at TI4 with THIS size of prize. Getting 16th at TI isn't like dropping out of the Starladder group stage going 0-16.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Here is a real life sport event that is organized close to TI4. The UEFA Champions League. You have to earn your spot in the tournament, but once you're in your club makes money for being in the field. This isn't about pity, once you make the TI4 Field you have proven that you can play Dota at a high level.

UEFA Champions League revenue distribution - UEFA Champions League - News - UEFA.com
The net amount available to the participating clubs will be split - ?500.7m in fixed payments and ?409.6m in variable amounts (market pool). This will be distributed according to the proportional value of each television market represented by the clubs taking part in the UEFA Champions League (group stage onwards), and will be split among those sides competing from a given association.

The 32 clubs featuring in the 2012/13 UEFA Champions League group stage can anticipate a minimum ?8.6m - and the team that goes on to win the trophy next spring could collect ?37.4m, not counting the market pool share.

Each of the 32 sides involved in the group stage will collect a base fee of ?8.6m. Performance bonuses will also see ?1m paid for a win and ?500,000 for a draw in the group phase.

The teams competing in the round of 16 can also expect to pick up ?3.5m each, the quarter-finalists ?3.9m and the semi-finalists ?4.9m. The UEFA Champions League winners will receive ?10.5m and the runners-up ?6.5m.