DOTA 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Liquid is a prime candidate to disappoint, the new Secret is a kind of an enigma, but unless they all live together somewhere or bootcamp like crazy, I don't see them having major results, the new OG looks good on paper, but has a few players that tend to crumble under pressure. The rest of EU doesn't look like championship contenders, maybe they will upset somebody here and there, but I'm not holding my breath. NA is like EG up there, then the EE stack/DC below them and then nobody else, I guess nothing really changed. CIS continues to be a joke, SEA is a big unknown and CN might get a shot in the arm thanks to Wings, who are apparently staying together.

This shuffle it was really just musical chairs, no real rising pubstars to watch for, !Attacker didn't find a solid team and that's about it I think.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
First time playing again in literal years...
Is matchmaking really this cancerous or (I hope) am I missing something?
There are not a whole lot of options on specific US East/West servers and most are private...
95% of the games I join on All Regions are close to full or full and the host is just AFK and never starts the match. I host a game with a normal name and AP settings, no one joins.
I thought maybe my port settings were messed up but I can see tons of games and join them just fine, also no issues actually playing.
Why is it taking me literally an hour and ten minutes to find a reasonable game?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You're doing custom games or something silly it sounds like, don't do that. Just click play dota > normal match > pick you regions and game modes > start. It'll put you in a queue and launch in ~60s, no lobbies or waiting rooms or anything.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
First time playing again in literal years...
Is matchmaking really this cancerous or (I hope) am I missing something?
There are not a whole lot of options on specific US East/West servers and most are private...
95% of the games I join on All Regions are close to full or full and the host is just AFK and never starts the match. I host a game with a normal name and AP settings, no one joins.
I thought maybe my port settings were messed up but I can see tons of games and join them just fine, also no issues actually playing.
Why is it taking me literally an hour and ten minutes to find a reasonable game?

wat?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Any team with Bulba is not going to be good, dude is the Jeff Garcia of Dota 2.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah I wasn't in normal games. For some reason it wasn't very clear to a returning player who hadn't seen all this crazy shit before. Sorry noob, thank you.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Yeah Reborn UI is totally different, anyone want to play im like 2k party 3.5k solo

Needless

Toe Sucker
Naga siren is pretty entertaining, so slow but once you get a radiance into manta its goodnight fellas

4 dudes trying to gank without bkb = siren song and peace the fuck out. God love non competitive games

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
CoL
1. Justin 'justin' Rosselle
2. Mihai ‘canceL^^’ Antonio
3. David 'Moo' Hull
4. Zakari ‘Zfreek’ Freedman
5. Kyle ‘melonzz’ Freedman

Swindle somehow managed to come up with even dumber nickname.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
CoL
1. Justin 'justin' Rosselle
2. Mihai ‘canceL^^’ Antonio
3. David 'Moo' Hull
4. Zakari ‘Zfreek’ Freedman
5. Kyle ‘melonzz’ Freedman

Swindle somehow managed to come up with even dumber nickname.

Isn't it just half his nick? I recall him being SwindleMelonzz before.

I haven't had the chance to watch any WESG games, but some of the teams seem pretty awesome particularly that one German stack.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Purge is like 5.8k. Let that one sink in for a bit.

I guess the main takeaway is spamming Omni will get you pretty far?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Nah, he is like the perfect person for grinding games, since he is the cure for the common pub cancers. Never rages, optimist and able to assume leadership. Omni helps, since people suck at countering him and he needs about 1500 worth of items to be good until 40 minutes in, but at 5k you should have riki

I'm not holding my breath, but next time you are raging or snark at somebody in your game, don't. It makes the game better for everybody. Try to say what your mates are doing well, even if it just means using "Well Played!" afte every kill.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
And after every kill means after every kill your team gets, spamming well played after your opponent kills someone on your team doesn't have quite the same effect.

But yeah at the end of the day it's a 5vs5 game, you don't have to be technically a beast and able to solo mid carry every game to climb MMR. It's a good way to do it if your skill is higher than your MMR, but getting the 4 fuckers on your team to play a game of dota together versus the 5 retards on the other team is going to win you games.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to copy what Purge wrote about Slacks MMR grind here, since I think it applies wonderfully to most of the playerbase:
I've been working on a video series explaining MMR fully for the last week on and off since that coaching session. Here is my breakdown of what slacks does and why it works.

Disclaimer this is mostly a letter to the people who are confused and letting that confusion channel into flame targeted towards slacks, but if you can look past that part you should be able to better understand what slacks does that works.

1: Ultra morale boost. There are lots of whiny dota players out there(me included). Most of them are prone to tilting, rage, or abandoning. Slacks helps ensure those players tilt and rage less. Because those players naturally tilt and rage when they play by themselves, their MMR is lower than it should be because they play worse those games they tilt and lose games sometimes because of that, so by him ensuring they don't tilt, Slacks(by being in the game) raises their effective MMR for the match by a few hundred points. Based on predictive analysis of + - MMR trends due to team advantage in this thread here, assuming each player is perfectly ranked and it's an average performance for all, a 150 average MMR advantage(aka all 5 players on your team are 150 mmr higher than your opponents) gives that team a 70% chance to win their dota game. Affecting other's performances for the better is a HUGE advantage to raising MMR. 300 avg MMR advantage is 90% win chance.

2: Slacks rallys the team around a goal. We're gonna call this teamwork, even if the plan isn't the ideal way to play dota and can fail sometimes. He does direct his team and they generally listen cause morale. 5 people on the same page is >>>> than 5 solo players.

3: His developed playstyle. Most people say 'he picks omni it's clear why he's 4.7k, it's because anyone who spams Omni will rank up cause Omni is 60% winrate!'. If you believe this you're an idiot. Picking an OP hero will adjust your current MMR by a %, but it doesn't double it or whatever. At some point you'll hit a plateau and stop increasing(as you'll hit that balance with any hero). 4.7 is slacks plateau with his previous playstyle and game outlook. He didn't get there just because he picks Omni.

The reason Omni and Undying and Kotl are likely slacks' favorite heroes, is a mix of them fitting the playstyle that he developed(which by the way, is impressive that he found something that worked and he stuck too it since most people just try to copy the pros exactly and frankly do it poorly). Couple correlations between these 3 heroes. They have heals and they can end the game at the mid game through heals, sustain and strong teamfight.

heals are OP because there are few in dota and people don't expect them, so when enemies do aggressive things then die because of heals; instead of a 1 for 1 from an offensive support, slack's team gets a 1 for 0. So heals massively impact the course of a game's tempo due to gold swings. The key here is you have to have decent map awareness and be places. Slacks pretty much only goes places and does shit, with some occasional pushing of lanes, the only other thing(partial sarcasm here) he knew how to do before I coached him. Pushing lanes is good, 90% of you could learn something rom slacks with this point since it creates tower pressure which forces TP's/reactions and then those people can't gank/rosh/take towers. Just cause he doesn't know why he does stuff doesn't mean it's not good. He literally learned from playing enough games and remembering stuff. That's one learning path you can take to be be 'good' at video games.

So Slacks creates pressure on the map and his opponents don't know what to do. Go watch SexyBamboe play, esp 2-3 years ago when few/no one roamed. People didn't know how to react so they'd chase him through the jungle with 3 heroes for 30 secs and he'd suicide to neuts creating space/wasting time. It's that sorta idea. Put them out of their comfort zone and they'll get flustered and make mistakes.

Slacks also uses his skills very effectively, and he has very good map awareness. His teamfight awareness and general decision making in fights is above average to his MMR I feel. 99% of players don't move their camera enough during a fight to take info. Slacks does well with this and it's one of the things that allows him to make better teamfight decisions.

So with heals, you get swings, and you also get teamfights. If no one on your team ever dies, and you have sustain for your team, then the game ends because all of the idiots(no offense!) from 3k-4.7k have no idea how to split push against this playstyle and nullify its advantages. They see people grouping on the map so they show up. They don't know why but they show up. Then slacks beats you because his hero is good at early engagements and you didn't understand the power curve of your hero like he does. You didn't have a good reason to go there when you could defend a push with 2 heroes and split/farm with 3.

And that's what slacks does. Kotl + aghs, Undying+mek, and omni+mek ends games at the 30-40 min mark. Slacks knows that if the games go much longer than that he loses, because he often loses when that happens. So that learning has taught him how to play the game, and it works for him. Those 3 reasons are why he's 4.7k, and has lots more potential.

Other reasons he shouldn't go late game or why he loses there often: He doesn't know how to ward aggressively, pressure the map effectively(but he's trying early-mid), and play late game omni because he eventually stops having good impact due to weak farm leading to weak items(late game impact).

But he figured this all out and adapted his playstyle to it.

It's really beautiful in a way. Once I put the pieces together it made sense. I'm sure morale/leading the team makes up for 500-1000 MMR, but he easily presses his buttons better than any 3k player. He knows what skills/heroes counter his skills. He has great team fight awareness for the most part.

And he sticks to his strategy. It's a little cheesy or whatever, if you guys want to use the word 'cheese' to flame him in the future that's probably the best shot you can take, but that's really all it is. Slack's playstyle is cheesy and his in game dota skills don't really look like the average 4.7k player, whatever the fuck that means since all players have vastly different strengths as weaknesses, evidenced by Slacks.

Slacks developed, by himself, a cheesy sorta way to win dota games. He likes playing that way and it works for him because very few players under 5k have any idea how to counter it, because most you guys leading up to that MMR don't understand strategy options.

Like the way most people play dota is just reading 1 hero guide and playing the hero that way, but there is so much more to it that than.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Slacks plays a teamwork 5v5 based strategy revolving around healing heroes who are good at early-midgame fights and ending the game. It works in pubs and he sticks to it. He knows how his heroes fit together to make a strategy. What do you guys do? Pick 1 hero and just play the hero the way that hero is played? This is the part of the game I'm just sorta starting to understand really well now and is a wonder to listen to top tier pro players talk about. They truly understand what heroes are good at, where they fit into those strategies. Slacks found a piece of that gold and he's sticking to it.

You guys(and me) flame him because he has no idea how to be efficient as a support, or to get farm while doing that. The difference is that I'm allowed to do that because I'm his friend and I apologize afterwards and ask if I went too far.

The best example is 2 1k players playing a pub game. The carry is mad at his support because his support isn't pulling and is sapping experience. The support is mad because his carry is only getting 30% of the last hits. Who is wrong? They both are because they both suck. That's why they are 1k MMR. Don't be such a dick to slacks ya buncha armchair dota players.

You guys need to cool your jets and be careful about what you write in his chat. Instead of projecting all of the disgust and hate towards him as a player you can realize how many things slacks does that are amazing for his in game skill level that make him a MUCH better dota player than the average hater who criticize him. Stop projecting your unhappiness with your MMR towards him and realize it's because you aren't a 4.7k MMR player like slacks is. It isn't a miracle, you just don't understand why what he's doing is effective, just like I didn't when I first coached him after watching ~7 of his replays.

It's not chance or any of that. Stop making excuses for yourself. Yah slacks has no idea how to farm or how to play carries so I'm sure the MMR of his mid or carry or offlane is relatively awful, but lots of you guys can stop being so obnoxious about it. He doesn't stream so you can write in chat 'LUL purge told him to buy wand and he STILL HASN'T BOUGHT ONE LUL'.

Try playing like him and raise your MMR up to his point. Until you can do that, then you're inferior at executing his strategy. And if you can't raise your MMR to his level then you are simply inferior at winning solo ranked dota games than Slacks is. It's that simple. Doesn't matter how many skills you read or learn about if you can't execute them for half a shit either, let alone reach his MMR.

I wish I could have that kind of morale impact on my games and that kind of positive attitude. That's a very respectable skill that helps you be a better player and teammate. That's the stuff you should be writing in chat: 'Wow slacks your power of Morale is really impressive, I bet your allies are happy to play with you' or some shit. Just cause twitch chat is a short burst of text doesn't mean it's cool to act like 13 yo children who just figured out how to talk shit.

We all suck and it's easy to see that when watching others play dota, even top tier pros make obvious mistakes in the moment, but guys slacks is a human not a punching bag. And this goes for all streamers. We read chat and it's annoying to read negative comments and have to endure people taking pot shots at us. Yes it's our jobs and career paths, but why do you think top pros that you like don't stream as often? That's for sure one of the reasons.

I get that it's fun to try to be edgy and rude as a joke and that's why I do it to my friends but I don't do it(or try not to do it) to other people who aren't my friends(and yes I know me saying it to my viewers instead of to the people is similar and it's slightly hypocritical or whatever but it's my job to say what went wrong in dota games and yes sometimes I go overboard when I'm annoyed/pissy/being obnoxious, but I'm a human like slacks). Pls be nice to streamers, and be careful about how the words you write come off(real rich coming from me but I mean it).

Also keep an eye out for my MMR series that I'm gonna hopefully finish writing scripts for today or this week. It will be less angry than this post but have lots of thoughts like these.
Source: It's lie a legit mystery to me how slacks is about to get 5k. I'm not flaming; I'm actually just curious. He obviously deserves it because he won enough games. But how did he do it? • /r/DotA2

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is really incredible how a change of attitude can impact overall play, not just your own but someone on your team. I really try and think I've improved my attitude greatly over the last few months. Not only are games better overall but even the blowouts are less stressful and keep my blood pressure down. Stomps especially because it isn't like you want to throw or anything (and it can be difficult to gauge when it is REALLY over) but sometimes clowning and trying out crazy shit with a teammate can be fun. Or you can just zone out and focus only on a small piece you want to practice for 10 min while your team you lose.

But yeah, it is hard as balls to be competitive and still retain light heartedness and not just be full try hard. It has been my number one goal of improving outside of anything mechanical or have knowledge.