DOTA 2

Cybsled

That is very true. I'm pretty certain the vast majority of Navi fans are only as such because of Dendi. The team finished virtually last in TI5, but he is such a super star it doesn't really matter to the fans.

Part of the problem is that with Pro-Sports teams, the loyalty is usually regional and sort of gets treated like a religion (ie, you were born in Mass, so you must love the Red Sox and Patriots or you are a heathen!). For people outside that region, usually the loyalty happens because said team had some legendary player(s) in the past. You see this to a degree in TI5: Evil Geniuses may not be the favorite team of many in the USA, but because they are perceived as the "home" team, they will get support as a result.

Team Secret is sort of founded on that idea...players like Puppey know that most of the loyalty is tied to the player instead of the actual team, but the teams profit the most and the players don't get as much as they potentially could. Players like Dendi actually get a set salary from their team in addition to tournament winnings and some really high profile guys can get endorsement deals, but in most cases players live tournament to tournament to support themselves. As more and more money gets pumped into the scene, I do think we may see a transformation that begins to benefit the players more and more.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I wonder what kind of money will the Major winners get, Secret made more finishing 8th at TI than from all the tournaments over the past year COMBINED. Thank god Valve is breaking up the behemoth. If they stay together, I see no reason why they wouldn't have a very good shot at the next Major, but it's up to the players. I knoww I'm going to follow Puppey and Kuro wherever they go.

It would be interesting if we will see some chinese players try to join the western scene, ala koreans in Starcraft.

Cybsled

Valve was on record stating that TI would still be the big one. I am thinking the majors will be like the Chinese "TI", where you have a pretty big pot (over 1 million), but nothing like TI.

Cybsled

One of the DOTA2 SFM winners for TI. I liked this one the most
wink.png

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Offseason drama will be insane already regardless. Too much money now to stop it.

Now, the question is if it stays sorta regional/language or if the whole fucking thing just goes all pro-sports.

For good or bad, no fan has a team loyalty at all but instead we like certain players or occasionally, certain styles. That's horrible for potential team managers or "team branding". Can you imagine if Twins fans quit cheering for them and started cheering for the other team when they traded a pitcher? Oh my.
If a team stays consistent for a long period of time, this might change.

CDEC is just raping ppl

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think EG is out of ideas unless they draft techies or abaddon.
Oh I don't agree with that. I think if Fear isn't going to play a late gamer(ie Razor) I think he's more than capable of picking a better timing team fighter(veno) and allowing Sumail to play the heavier carry mid hero.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Oh I don't agree with that. I think if Fear isn't going to play a late gamer(ie Razor) I think he's more than capable of picking a better timing team fighter(veno) and allowing Sumail to play the heavier carry mid hero.
I wouldn't put any faith in Fear being the team's playmaker, his playstyle is bad because he doesn't put enough trust in his teammates. It's a very greedy way to play and only works because of the other people on his team. Sumail/Aui/Universe are the team's best chance at winning.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't expect that to happen. Fear has played almost only late game heroes in the whole TI. Razor, Qop, AM, Clinkz, Gyro, Ember, and Bloodcyka.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA