DOTA 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Wisp is broken in pubs if you have decent guy to lane with and even a little bit of map awareness gives you 4-5 free kills per game with teleport. There's a reason why a guy playing wisp only was at the top of DBR. Another support who can have similar impact is Kotl, it's pretty hard to lose a lane with him and his push/antipush gives you invulnerable towers or you just get all enemy towers down by 20 minutes and then it's easy to finish the game with the huge gold advantage. The ulti is just cherry on top, but you fall off hard by 40 minutes.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't mind Merlini doing it, but Tobi's post has a lot of good points in it. Its bad for casting as a whole if everyone does it. You take away too much of jD's business(or any other caster) by streaming THEIR tournament and it won't be a business anymore.

The whole "needing permission" thing that Tobi was talking about seems like a pain in the ass but I understand that as at least a short term fix.
No, that's just retarded, when you lock who can do what in certain situations you essentially ruin any essence of competition amongst casters. If someone needs that everyone HAS to tune in to him, or just simply not watch it then there's less incentive to perform at the highest level. That never needs to be taken away.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
The competition is in putting together your own production then, not stealing what someone else has created and freeloading. If people want to see a certain caster then it should be easy for him to get picked up.

You can't just walk into an NFL game and start your own fucking broadcast, and you're stupid if you think you should have that option.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
yes i agree. the real question is, who do you pick when you are solo queueing and have to pick a support?
KotL/Lina/Lion/Lich

Essence of competition among casters ? What are you smoking ? There's a tournament somebody took time to schedule, produce and advertise, but when it comes to casting they should say "fuck it, somebody will do it". I don't mind casting it in client for the ticket holders, but once you stream it, you effectively profit from somebody else doing all the legwork. There's already 2-3 events going on at a time rather often and viewers will go to the best stream.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
So basically what you're saying is we should just submit to the tournament creators will and take whoever they give us to cast the game? As opposed to say, diverting traffic to someone who's better at casting and giving them exposure and maybe potential deals in the future? I'm sorry but that's just stupid. If a tournament wants to pay a caster to cast, then they should be able to easily attract more viewers than what a random schmuck on twitch does.

I'd like to think of it in terms of SC2 since I feel the caster situation is more solid there. It's like when you see Tasteless and Artosis casting GSL because that's who GSL hired, however you'd fucking love to see Apollo and Day9 or Kelaris or someone else up there.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If they give somebody exclusive rights to cast, then yes.

I'd imagine sponsors of D2L have taken into consideration that there are their names and logos on splash screen and overlay, if you can force anyone who casts those games have those too, then we might be onto something, but I don't know how those deals work. Keep in mind we came really close to G-League not even being available in English because the producers were afraid of the drop in quality and not making enough money to make it worth it. SC2 is not even issue because you can't get into the game without admins letting you and restreaming a stream makes it into inferior product. The only fair way to do it is to provide audio stream and tell people to watch the original for the game. It gets a bit murkier with streams in different languages, since strictly speaking you are providing a service that offers something different. However I presume most tournament organizers have the foresight and they either made a conscious decision to not provide that stream and funnel everything into single stream or provide one and were back where we started.

For healthy scene you should have tournaments or parts of tournaments open to cast for anyone, like groupstages or qualifiers. The right way to do it is to ask first, not cast first. Any kind of absolute decision will end up doing more harm than good. You are also very well aware that some random schmuck on twitch with 5 viewers isn't really relevant here, but it's very few people with thousand of viewers who can do this for profit and who bitch the loudest when their easy money gets cut. I'm not blaming Merlini, but Versuta totally deserved it.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Sutekh, I'm fairly certain you must be living in a utopia.

The whole Versuta thing is dumb anyways. Russians gonna be Russian.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So basically what you're saying is we should just submit to the tournament creators will and take whoever they give us to cast the game? As opposed to say, diverting traffic to someone who's better at casting and giving them exposure and maybe potential deals in the future? I'm sorry but that's just stupid. If a tournament wants to pay a caster to cast, then they should be able to easily attract more viewers than what a random schmuck on twitch does.

I'd like to think of it in terms of SC2 since I feel the caster situation is more solid there. It's like when you see Tasteless and Artosis casting GSL because that's who GSL hired, however you'd fucking love to see Apollo and Day9 or Kelaris or someone else up there.
Yes. Especially when the tournament directors are getting paid by the sponsors to make sure their logos are up on the overlays and are getting a return in advertising for their investment in the tournament. As opposed to some random caster who is restreaming it and taking views away from the tourney organizers. What you propose is a good way to make sure the tournaments almost never get big named sponsors that can put real dollars into the tourneys.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
What exactly was Versuta doing?
Streaming tournaments he didn't have permission to stream. Which sometimes isn't a problem if there is no Russian caster or if the tournament doesn't have a large sponsor.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Under Valve's rules he ha every right to stream the tournament because be bought the ticket. Either way, I don't give a shit about that random Russia, if he were banned from twitch and dota2 forever I couldn't care less. I agree that sponsors logos need to be up on streams, but that's a problem with valve, not people restreaming. Allow a custom UI to be put up by tournament creators.

suzumebachi_sl

shitlord
I have two free copies of the game on Steam if anyone wants them or knows of someone that does. PM me with the email or steam handle.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have about a dozen copies to giveaway if anyone is interested.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't see the point of treant protector, is he in the game solely just to troll the fuck out of people when they press the random button? He's literally the worst hero and is only getting worse.