DOTA 2

Northerner

N00b
I like the summary but don't agree across the board by any means cyr.

Group is group and as long as you continue, all is basically well. I don't buy into the everyone is keeping pocket strats meme but there sure is a bit of that going on.

I was amused to see Synderen actually play again and hell, props to the guy for not completely shitting the bed. He's a personality and I fucking really love what he's been to the community but it's kinda like if Day(9) were taking on Jaedong in the day... anything that isn't a complete holy_fuck_stomp is a kinda victory and I think he actually played competently. Kicked ass? Hell no but still, Esc isn't where they are because of him alone by any means.

DC's success is likely the biggest story. I doubt they can keep it up but I love that we've got a peoples' champion going on.

Overall? Weird but great meta. I'm leaning slightly towards it being a drafter's meta over the execution meta we all love but so many, many games to go. Don't sleep on Navi yet though and Wings is far from done too of course. Boringly, OG is still my pick right now. Solid dota is good dota and they seem to have the supporting team that keeps them doing good shit. Plus, what *we* think is talent doesn't mean it is. RTZ, Sumail, Puppey, Dendi, Miracle, W33, S4 etc etc are names of course but we've all seen how that works out. Sometimes.

EDIT: Fucking amazing games though so far. I've watched this shit for as long as it has existed and still, these have been really, really, really, good matches. Not always balanced but fucking great skill level. Makes me feel even older than I am but that's fine, I've not even played the game in years!

Cybsled

CpJaA0mUEAAtYPd.jpg

Brackets and prize pool breakdown. Grand champs are 8.6 million!!!

Lots of people are tinfoil hatting the EG vs Alliance game, indicating that EG threw on purpose because both teams have the same owner.

Northerner

N00b
I don't even want to think about the potential for fuckery given that dota is worth what it is and is played in RUS, SEA, brasil, KOR, so on and so on.

Starcraft and then SC2 almost got gutted over betting scandals and in Korea you can leave your wallet on the scanner in the subway and it'll end up back in your hotel. Not quite the same of course (the Japs are fucking insanely honest but will screw you over on other shit) but I wonder about the TI thing getting too big.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't think it'd be worth it for EG to risk their name just to make some betting money when they still have a shot at winning the whole thing, and getting banned forever from Valve event if it came to light which basically means never having a dota team again since it's pretty much the same. It's also pretty stupid to think that Alliance isn't able to take games off basically anyone, regardless of their current ranking or whatever. So many teams lost to Alliance on games they looked like they would win, hell they came back from megas like, 2 or 3 times?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Nice assessment Cyrus. Only thing I disagree with really, and this is coming from an Alliance fan boy, is that they could probably win their first loser bracket series. I don't give them much of a shot at beating EHome, but they can definitely take a series from Fnactic or Escape. After that it'd be either Liquid, Navi, EG, or Newbee which I'd give them 60-40 underdogs at most against any of those teams.

Cybsled

Navi definitely has a tough road head. TL in a BO1, then they get either EG or Newbee if they get past the BO1.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't think it'd be worth it for EG to risk their name just to make some betting money when they still have a shot at winning the whole thing, and getting banned forever from Valve event if it came to light which basically means never having a dota team again since it's pretty much the same. It's also pretty stupid to think that Alliance isn't able to take games off basically anyone, regardless of their current ranking or whatever. So many teams lost to Alliance on games they looked like they would win, hell they came back from megas like, 2 or 3 times?

Not betting money, owner money. It does GG better to have two teams in the upper. I joked with Dandain before that series about these results, but I don't know how you (not you, you) can honestly say that first game was 322, not in any planned way at least. The second game maybe PPD did gg out early but we're talking about EG here and they were getting shit stomped.

I hope navi gets past their first games, I really want to see them live. Alliance I think can make it. Along with EG. DC is the craziest, I just have no idea. They're CDEC but maybe better?

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Im a huge DC fanboy, so I am pretty biased towards their chances. I think Misery and w33's experiemce really helps them. My main worry about DC is Misery does get outdrafted sometimes. It is also super important to get reso a hero that has good movement, I truly believe when he gets a stagnant carry where he cant move into the fight the way he is comfortable with, he suffers.

Cybsled

They added a bracket prediction to the compendium that locks in about a day. Make sure to fill in your predictions.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't believe that it was #3 best of the group stage. I forgot about that Miracle Invoker though. That shit was just so sick.