DOTA 2

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bristleback is a ton of fun. Hard to use in most situations but once you get treads a vanguard and a rod of atos he starts to be kind of beastly. Rod plus goo is effective as fuck, add in 45% reduction while back to enemy and the guy is super hard to put down. Get a heart and the fun really begins as you can initiate like few others. He is kind of hard to get kills with though, for me anyway. I saw some guy fucking dominate with him one match got like 23 kills in a row or some shit. Was an amazing display of a true STR hero.

Sulrn

Deuces
Bristleback is a ton of fun. Hard to use in most situations but once you get treads a vanguard and a rod of atos he starts to be kind of beastly. Rod plus goo is effective as fuck, add in 45% reduction while back to enemy and the guy is super hard to put down. Get a heart and the fun really begins as you can initiate like few others. He is kind of hard to get kills with though, for me anyway. I saw some guy fucking dominate with him one match got like 23 kills in a row or some shit. Was an amazing display of a true STR hero.
Funniest moment I've had in the game was wiping on a 5-man at Dire mid T2. Bristle was the last man standing on our team and basically walked around in circles in their jungle. 5 heros beating on bristle for literally 3 minutes. They ended up all dying from successive quilblasts . Gauntlet baiting and heart with blademail... such a troll build.

#LowTierHighJinks

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I played some Dota2 last night, just 1 full game and a few 5 minutes start and quits against bots. It feels.. different compared to LOL. I don't know what it is, it's just doesn't feel right? The fucking tooltips for abilities are long as fuck with tons of stats.

Then again, I'm walking into a game with all the heroes unlocked (paralysis by choice) and then you get into the game and there are a million items you don't even know how to use. Then when you play the game you don't know what class combos to use, what lanes to choose. Me and my brother in law were just like "uhh.."

It might need some more research or video watching to get a feel for the game. But when I jumped into LOL a few weeks ago, I had peeps holding my hand so it was much easier.

One hero I played the whole game with was Venosomething and was kind of ok.

I have to say though, loading guides is really awesome. The UI is too big though.

Cybsled

Invoker is probably the hardest hero in the game to master. He's basically an EQ1 bard, except when you twist songs you get different spells. Meepo is also pretty hard to learn. Lone Druid is basically two heroes, so he can be hard to get used to sorta (the pet gets most of the gear, the actual hero less).

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Invoker is fun, but spamming the combos kills my wrist after a single game. Didn't Valve create something like new player hero pool ? It might be a good idea to watch a pro game or 2, or just watch random stuff through DotaTV, if there are a lot of viewers it's probably a game with skilled players. You will see the depth, if nothing else.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Ive only been playing for about 2 weeks so I kind of know what your going through. Ive been watching alot of purge plays and northernlion plays videos to get a feel for heroes and items to build. For me personally lich veno chaos knight blood seeker vengeful spirit bristle back and brood mother where easy to jump into while centaur warrunner and ancient apparition where miserable experiences for me. Again for me If im playing a support I just try to get arcane boots mekanism or pipe of insight and wards...

I played some Dota2 last night, just 1 full game and a few 5 minutes start and quits against bots. It feels.. different compared to LOL. I don't know what it is, it's just doesn't feel right? The fucking tooltips for abilities are long as fuck with tons of stats.

Then again, I'm walking into a game with all the heroes unlocked (paralysis by choice) and then you get into the game and there are a million items you don't even know how to use. Then when you play the game you don't know what class combos to use, what lanes to choose. Me and my brother in law were just like "uhh.."

It might need some more research or video watching to get a feel for the game. But when I jumped into LOL a few weeks ago, I had peeps holding my hand so it was much easier.

One hero I played the whole game with was Venosomething and was kind of ok.

I have to say though, loading guides is really awesome. The UI is too big though.
Ill show ya the ropes on sunday. How to support / deny / pull etc

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Invoker is fun, but spamming the combos kills my wrist after a single game. Didn't Valve create something like new player hero pool ? It might be a good idea to watch a pro game or 2, or just watch random stuff through DotaTV, if there are a lot of viewers it's probably a game with skilled players. You will see the depth, if nothing else.
There's a tutorial planned with a limited hero pool yeah, just not in yet.

There probably should be a "difficulty" stat on character selection along with the carry, escape, tank ones.
Starting out you can't try to learn what every hero does, each ability, and each item. Learn the basics of maybe three or four simpler heroes (ignore pro scene, play what's fun and what's simple) and play them vs other NEW players. As long as you're learning with evenly skilled players you can't go wrong. You'll eventually learn what to pick to compliment or counter other heroes, when and where to be aggressive or defensive, etc. If you try to play like an advanced player without the experience you probably won't learn, won't have fun, and will quit.

One issue with videos is most of the time those players are very experienced and have the proficiency to play like they do. Even if you're a an experienced gamer, you're still a shit DOTA player and you need to expect to play like that and learn as it comes.

Watching games of advanced DOTA players will help you only a bit more than watching NFL games will make you better football player.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Baitmaster hand holding you is your best bet. Can't imagine jumping into a game like this without someone there to guide you.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Draegan me and lewdie play a lot. We're on the TS server from time to time. Also, idle in the foh channel and most people would be more than happy to teach you the ropes. Laning in Dota is a bit more fluid then LoL. In lol its always 1 bruiser top, 1 tank jungle, 1 assassin mid and 2 adc/support bot (or by golems, to 2v1, whichever).

In Dota, you pretty much have multiple ways of spreading your champs across lanes. The usual meta in pro games is as follows
Trilane: This is composed of what is called a 3/4/5 position (god I hope I'm not fucking these numbers up. I'm just now acquainting myself to this numbering position system.) Your 3 is your hard carry, which is supported by a 4 and a 5 which are usually heroes that can support. A support is usually a hero that can thrive off of having no farm, and minimal levels. The supports job in this lane setup is to pull, ward, and gank/roam. I'll get to pulling later. The 3 in this position is usually somebody who benefits off of safe farming, usually a hard carry. Once again, lane setup in Dota is much more fluid. I've seen weird things like tinker being run in a trilane (comparing to LoL, tinker is kind of what you would consider an AP carry).

Solo Mid: The hero you put in this lane will need both farm and level. They will also usually be good at providing ganks for the team and high burst damage. They have a significant presence in early and mid game.

Solo Long/Hard Lane: This is a hero who can either farm very safely (by use of spamming long range skills or escapes), or just stand in range of xp. Most of the time, a long laner can contribute by levels alone in mid game. Some times though, a long lane must be sacrificed so must long laners can also jungle well or gank well.

Now this just one lane setup. There are also 2/1/2 and 1/2/2 setups as well as the 1/1/3 and many more. However, in pubs the most common you will see until you get into a higher bracket is 2/1/2

A few terms you will find foreign at first, but are absolutely essential are as follows.

Pulling: This term refers to the pulling of neutral creeps (jungle creeps) into lane creeps in some way or another. The easiest type of pull to do is on the safe/short lanes, in which you pull the camp closest to the lane into the lane at ~16 and 44 seconds into the respective minutes. A rax (barracks) spawns creeps at every half minute. This allows the enemy lane to push into or past your tower for safer last hitting. It also provides your supports, who get no last hits in lane, a little farm for wards and tp scrolls by last hitting these neutrals. More advance pulls can be achieved with specific heroes, and what is called double pulling where you daisy chain pulls from one camp to another.

Stacking: This involves pulling a neutral camp away from its spawn at ~52-54 seconds into the minute. Neutral camps spawn every minute IF there is no previous camp blocking it. The most common camp this is done on is the ancient camp (the camp separate from the main jungle on each side) by supports or mid. Then, a carry or class that can farm them well will come and clean either a triple or more stack for tons of gold and xp.

Creep walking: This is usually done at the start of the game by mid. You just block your creeps while walking to the river. You will learn as you play more when to creep walk throughout the game and whatnot.

As far as items go and learning what to build, the best thing I can recommend is to play with us so we can explain it more in game. There are ridiculous amounts of combinations of items to get depending on what you play. However, some of the more prominent items are

-BKB (Black King Bar) Provides 10 second immunity which decreases by 1 second each use down to 4 seconds)
-Sythe of Vyse provides a 3.5 second disable
-Blink Dagger gives a hero a sort of flash ability
-Mekanism provides a 250 heal in an AoE around the hero that uses it
-Monkey King Bar (MKB) provides damage and a mini stun and provides its user with 100% chance to hit through evasion (this includes shooting up hill)

There are many more things I could say about Dota, like how there a complex mechanics in even the vision mechanics (sight range for certain heroes, whether it is obstructed by terrain ect), but there are entire guides that can go into more detail then this.

Cybsled

Dota fails of the week on youtube is a good learning guide. It teaches you what -not- to do ;p

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just want some decent blogs/sites that I can read at work to get a bit more familiar with shit. My bro and I want to get into the game, but it's frustrating due to the overwhelming shit in this game. And I'm barely over being overhwelmed in LoL.

Just go to Purge's site that was linked last page I believe. Its got the great intro to DoTA article and then you can watch a bunch of tutorials he has made then graduate to the VoDs where he spectates random skill pub matches and points out what the players should be doing/building and when they get it completely wrong.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The one thing I got confused with is the legacy RTS (is it really legacy?) stuff where you can select other minions and shit. That threw me off until I realized what was up.