DOTA 2

Nutron_sl

shitlord

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
As a non player I've really enjoyed the articles as well. Watching the teams throughout the season but coming in to the game so late means that I had not much back story on teams or history of drama. Also, this week has been boring as hell with no matches going on. At least something starts tomorrow and this weekend.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
As a non player I've really enjoyed the articles as well. Watching the teams throughout the season but coming in to the game so late means that I had not much back story on teams or history of drama. Also, this week has been boring as hell with no matches going on. At least something starts tomorrow and this weekend.
The calm before the storm!
wink.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also to add confusion, Ars-Art replaced Artstyle after TI1 in Na'Vi. Artstyle is currently not playing pro anymore, even though following one of v1lat's random tweet(russian caster, equivalent of tobiwan) that announced a new pro team with legendary names people assumed it'd be Artstyle+PGG+Azen+whoever else isn't playing atm for a good team but used to be pro. Just rumors though. Also Artstyle would maybe have issues finding a sponsor considering the reason he left Na'Vi was because he didn't want to pay the cut from his TI1 winnings.

Anyway starts tomorrow, they announced the groups and shit already onhttp://www.dota2.com/international/home/overview/. Group B looks a bit harder than group A but not by much, teams are fairly well spread out. Also they added a bo3 in loser bracket the rest is still bo1, so a bad group stage performance could be fairly disastrous and you really don't want to be falling down to loser bracket.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Also to add confusion, Ars-Art replaced Artstyle after TI1 in Na'Vi. Artstyle is currently not playing pro anymore, even though following one of v1lat's random tweet(russian caster, equivalent of tobiwan) that announced a new pro team with legendary names people assumed it'd be Artstyle+PGG+Azen+whoever else isn't playing atm for a good team but used to be pro. Just rumors though. Also Artstyle would maybe have issues finding a sponsor considering the reason he left Na'Vi was because he didn't want to pay the cut from his TI1 winnings.

Anyway starts tomorrow, they announced the groups and shit already onhttp://www.dota2.com/international/home/overview/. Group B looks a bit harder than group A but not by much, teams are fairly well spread out. Also they added a bo3 in loser bracket the rest is still bo1, so a bad group stage performance could be fairly disastrous and you really don't want to be falling down to loser bracket.
Ew players pay a cut of their winnings to sponsors?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
That's how it works unless you want to pay for all your equipment and travel expenses. They take all the risk.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Depends, wealthier teams are known for letting their players keep their prize money - Liquid, EG.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Depends, wealthier teams are known for letting their players keep their prize money - Liquid, EG.
Sponsors dont sponsor teams to get money out of their earnings tho, they do it as a promotional effort because "OMG I NEED SAME KEYBOARD AS DENDI TO BE GEWD MID". They make a lot more money than they invest into flights/publicity/etc from sales. Which is why I'm surprised players agree to give a cut of their winnings to them, because the better the team performs, the more money their sponsors make anyway from visibility.

I can understand a cut going to the team management, etc... Just surprised to hear sponsors getting some $$ ??

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Prize money to sponsors ? Wow, never heard of that. Cut of the money to management ? Yeah, that happens.

Define horrible: Their results put them in the top 6 teams in the west, when you count the prize money.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
Yeah i was gonna bite my tongue on liquid because they have been showing up, but eg on the other hand hasnt shown anything recently at all.
The most hilarious thing was the American Dota League tournament. EG doesn't even drop a GAME all tournament, then goes ZERO AND THREE against Team Liquid in the final. Like, total blowout, not even close.

Solo queueing on U.S. east, primetime, I was the only player on both teams to speak English. And of course they blame me for everything that goes wrong. My jimmies are rustled.

Valve needs to bring back solo matchmaking. That way you don't end up part of a 4 stack of terrible brazilians vs a 5 stack of slightly less terrible brazilians.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
Solo queueing on U.S. east, primetime, I was the only player on both teams to speak English. And of course they blame me for everything that goes wrong. My jimmies are rustled.

Valve needs to bring back solo matchmaking. That way you don't end up part of a 4 stack of terrible brazilians vs a 5 stack of slightly less terrible brazilians.
Solo matchmaking is already in. It's under the same options as "Preferences" where you select your language (English master race) and it's a checkbox.

So basically, it's hidden and any time I use it I get like 15 minute queues.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the Na'Vi thing I don't know the details but basically Na'Vi takes a cut of all the winnings supposedly 10%. At the same time they provide salaries and cover all expenses. I guess in general it's fine but that's a lot of money when it's The International so it kinda makes sense, with that said they're under contract and shit if they didn't like it I'm sure they could have found another team. It seems to be fairly common for some of these companies, at least Artstyle had similar issues when he was working on finding a new team after leaving Na'Vi and Darer and Moscow5 had the same type of system where they pay him a salary but take a % of the winnings, with the issue being the salary was ridiculously low in comparison.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
As I understand it the situation is similar to professional SC2 just not as insanely sweatshoppy.

It's just like any other job. You work for the organisation and they provide you with the means to do that. Players get a salary and a contract. Setups to play on, travel, organisation, booking, managerial duties, and in some cases housing are all taken care of for them. In return the organisation gets a percentage of their winnings and whatever they make from monetizing that teams "brand". Not every team is like that but most of the big name teams are.

It's really the only way to make it work when you are talking about a team of players doing this are their only means of income for years at a time. The prize pool for the international is so outside the norm its ridiculous. It's putting up consistant results in the smaller events that allows these teams to build a fan base and be a worthwhile investment of a companies sponsorship dollars. I'm sure an independent team could make a living if they were good enough but it would be a hell of a lot harder and riskier. It sounds odd but these people are professional athletes and it takes way more than skill to turn that into a reliable income. The support structure that sponsors and organisations provide is what allows the best teams to focus on the game and actually be the best at what they do. The better your team the better your paid and supported which more than makes up for only getting a small part of your winnings.