Dr. Dog - Psychedelic Swamp

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know this is probably not metal or electronic enough for most ears around these parts, but this is a band I really dig. Very Beatles-esque pop rock. I saw them live in Oakland a couple weeks ago and I was very impressed with their vocal harmonies in the live setting. They were perfect. The new album, Psychedelic Swamp, is actually a complete re-working of their very first album. Interesting concept. You can listen to the whole thing on YouTube, but this one tune is one of my favorites.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They were always very hit or miss for me. Really like some of their stuff and really dislike some of their other stuff.

Shadow People is one of my favorites

They also do a really good cover of Heart it Races by Architecture in Helsinki

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They were always very hit or miss for me. Really like some of their stuff and really dislike some of their other stuff.
I can see that. I think Be the Void is a pretty bad album, but overall they have far more yays than nays for me.

I've been digging the new album quite a bit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You should listen to the original Psychadelic Swamp. It's.... rough.

The lead singer's voice is the biggest sticking point for me. It works with some of their songs and sounds jarring in others. But I do think they have a lot of talent for songwriting.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
My friend Dmitri is their current drummer/multi-instrumentalist. Him and a few of the guys from his Tucson band grew up playing with them and there are some very distinct parallels between Dr. Dog and his Tucson band, Golden Boots. Pretty excited to get to see them next week in Tempe. Whenever they pass through the southwest they usually kick around in Tucson for a bit and do some after hours acoustic sets on friends' porches but, since moving up to Phoenix, I've really been missing this style of music.

The singer stuff definitely rings true for me as well and that same issue carries over to their Tucson offshoot. Dmitri said that he liked to do it with Golden Boots to push songs out of their comfort zone so I imagine that Dr. Dog has a similar reason for it. Having one singer who's voice can work with every song and a second who is an acquired taste seems to be a result of their one take recording style (and their attempt at recreating that vibe now that they get infinite takes).

I guess if you guys are interested, this is the drummer from Dr. Dog's Tucson project

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Never heard of either band, but the songs here are good. Ghosts is the main reason why I am posting