Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I don't know if I agree with that. Myst was still immensely popular but most people who completed it purchased or found a walk-through.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Not all girls like pink either. Myst is an exception I imagine because it was so popular for being so obscure and whatnot. Since then you get a game like this maybe once or twice a year and more often then not they're a cash in. I mean the genre was really, -really- popular around the Myst era. Iron Helix, Monkey Island, Hugo, Maniac Mansion etc...

Games like it still get made they just don't typically draw headlines.

Caliane

'No gameplay' games were huge in the 80's/90's. The puzzle-adventure games were basically just 95% story and were great. I love Gabriel Knight, Discworld, 7th guest, King's Quest, Space Police, etc...
They are still around and still extremely popular. Most cases, just on different platforms.
The walking dead, Back to the future, Fables... on pc.
Professor layton, Ace attorney, and a myriad of others on DS.
Iphone/android picture match games are still huge money makers, as well as other forms of puzzle games. This is where most are.
Princess makers...

That was the problem. Bioware went through a genre shift. Its not that they wanted to make dating sims that was the problem. it was they were turning their RPG franchises INTO dating sims. It was coming at a price.
Development is time and money. Balancing a game to function when you remove all the gameplay will invariably come at the cost of good gameplay.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well the last line in that video kinda supports that argument... Laidlaw parts with "This is the Dragon Age game we always wanted to make".

So if they hadn't been hamburger-helpered into a MASH-A-FOR-AWESOME gay-terrorist-dating-sim they would've made.... Skyrim?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The core gameplay in DA2 was good, easily better than DAO. The encounter design, level layout, settings, characters and story was shit.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
The bigger thing that probably sank Dragon Age was the intention to turn it into an actiony type of RPG for consoles. The writing was the one thing that only suffered *a bit*, so if the chick in question had had anything to do with it, it would have been writing.

Also, a lot of "get rich quick" was obvious in the making of it, with stupid shit like asset reuse and whatnot. DA:I has no asset reuse, and since they brought the tactical setup to all platforms, they were able to stay a bit truer to an RPG, than some action mish mash.

Having seen it at E3, I'm very excited for it. It would have been my best game of E3 if I hadn't also seen Witcher. :p

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That video eased my skepticism quite a lot, it looked really good. Now I'll still wait for reviews most likely but looked pretty cool, and yeah kinda a Dragon's Dogma vibe, but less action-y. The fact you can select your companions to make them do shit though is a strong plus compared to Dragon's Dogma. Fuckers were dumb as fuck.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ugh I can't be the only one getting a wow feeling from the video? I mean it's even called the hinterlands... I dunno, I just hope we dont get bear butt quests up in this game.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know it's a real word but come on! Ok so after watching the complete video I take back half of what I said. It looks fantastic but please let there be no fedex quests.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't remind me of Hinterlands. More like I don't know Skyrim or Fable or something like that. I got slightly excited when instead of following the road, the guy/girl playing jumped down something. I gotta say my first impression in the first 3-4mins was "oh god they say you can go anywhere but that's probably full of invisible walls everywhere and him following the road is so he doesn't get stuck against a large pebble". Who the fuck ever follow the road like that when playing a game, I mean, really?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Game reminded me most of Kingdoms of Amalur. same dialogue system, combat looked very nearly the same except with multiple party members, and the art style and animations were very similar too.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Game reminded me most of Kingdoms of Amalur. same dialogue system, combat looked very nearly the same except with multiple party members, and the art style and animations were very similar too.
May seem like KoA if you never played DD
biggrin.png
A - Also to Pyros, as far as following the road, that was unheard of if you were in DD
biggrin.png
A - all the good shit happened off the road!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Dark Arisen didn't have roads as far as I remember, unless you mean like the vanilla Dragon's Dogma areas. It's pretty standard to not stay on the roads regardless of what you play, simply because they're most often designed as "realistic" roads so it takes longer than just running straight where you want instead of zigzaging around along the road. But it makes sense for the presentation and shit they went with someone following the road, just feels very restrained when at the same time they tell you "you can go anywhere" and the guy doesn't go but instead follows the most obvious path.

Wish they'd announce a Dragon's Dogma 2, I'd buy a PS4 for that probably.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I never understand crapcom decisions, but yeah i meant vanilla DD. I didnt get into DD till DA was out so i was fortunate to have alot of content to go through since i took my time. I also had Seans super pawn in my group to be crazy OP lol. By the time i killed Damien the first time i had prly stayed up 40 hours playing the game.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Raptr QA: Dragon Age: Inquisition developers - Raptr

Raptr recently hosted a developer Q&A with members of the Dragon Age: Inquisition team. BioWare answered dozens of questions, covering everything from romance, death, crafting, and more.

There's too much to repost here, but here are some of the highlights. Be sure to visit the Raptr page here for the raw Q&A.

• There are eight characters to romance in the game, two of which will have racial preferences due to the game's story
  • The Inquisitor will be referred to by his or her name by friends, and not solely by the traditional (and clunky) "Inquisitor" title
  • Players who like solving problems through diplomacy will be able to using something similar to the persuades in Origins. They work and are acquired differently, however, and they're based on different areas of knowledge
  • Crafting is still in flux, but players will be able to change the color of their followers' gear by equipping new gear. Characters like mages won't be restricted to flimsy robes, provided they craft the right gear
  • Players will be able to pick between two voices for each gender. The British male voice actor is Harry Hadden-Paton, and his American counterpart is Jon Curry. The American female Inquisitor is Sumalee Montano. That's not counting localized versions. BioWare teased that voice actor Gideon Emery might be in the game, too. Emery voiced more than a dozen characters in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, including Fenris
  • There are no plans to bring Varric back, aside from a quick cameo. Players might learn more about his past, though. Cassandra will make a quick appearance as well, and Dagna is in the game, too, but not as a follower. Zevran won't be popping up at all
  • BioWare isn't planning to have any DLC at launch, and plans for post-launch content aren't firm at the moment
  • The game will feature elemental deaths for "many creatures," and the team is working on finishers for elemental spells and weapons as well. They're still working on physical finishers
  • Dragon Age II's minimap is returning, along with the ability to pin custom points of interest on it and set active quests
  • Your relationship to your followers and major characters is similar to the old approval system, but with one significant change: It's more dependent on your deeds and attitudes than the frequency that you give them gifts. Upset a party member enough, and they could leave the group
  • As with the past games, some specializations will affect story moments. BioWare isn't providing specifics, other than saying it varies by specialization
  • Side missions are being written so that they feel like something the Inquisitor would spend time doing. Rather than running errands for anyone who tugs on her tunic, she'll choose to take on additional quests that endear her to the people or increase the Inquisition's power
  • The mysterious Friends of Red Jenny will make an appearance in the game. Mike Laidlaw says they were included, "Because I've wanted to answer 'who ARE they' for a while now.'"
  • Players can collect different mounts, and choose which ones to ride

Zulst_sl

shitlord
  • Players will be able to pick between two voices for each gender. The British male voice actor is Harry Hadden-Paton, and his American counterpart is Jon Curry. The American female Inquisitor is Sumalee Montano. That's not counting localized versions. BioWare teased that voice actor Gideon Emery might be in the game, too. Emery voiced more than a dozen characters in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, including Fenris
Alix Wilton Regan will be the British female inquisitor voice actor I'm fairly sure. If you played ME3, she was Samantha Traynor.

• There are no plans to bring Varric back, aside from a quick cameo. Players might learn more about his past, though. Cassandra will make a quick appearance as well, and Dagna is in the game, too, but not as a follower. Zevran won't be popping up at all.
Pretty sure they don't mean Varric or Cassandra here since they're companions and will be following you around the whole time. Was trying to find it in the actual Q&A but couldn't find the relevant part. But what the fuck about no Zevran but they put in Dagna. I had to go look her up on the wiki just to remember who she was. What a bunch of cunts.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
After that gameplay video this is officially on my radar. I combat looks just great, and I love the art style.