Dragon Age: Why We Can't Have Nice Things

• Guest, do you have a hole in your podcast listening list? Our very own Seananigans will be broadcasting this Saturday 7/27 at 3:30pm Central

Go into the FoH discord and find the Happy Time Fun Hour channel and give it a listen!

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Me too, titsmcgee, me too.

"Is that the dark spawn? I feel bad for the dark spawn. They did him dirty!" - that made the whole clip worth it cause he has the most derp ass fkn face possible.

It appears as though the trailer's bad reception has caused the marketing budget to balloon out. As Ive seen a hell of a lot more shit coming out teasing that the game is every bit as dark and gritty as the last. Its almost like you can scroll down the comments on trailer, and for every comment against the games look and feel, there is a paid shill saying the opposite. Website Algo's pushed one of the ad's on me earlier and the ad teased "Not your kids Dragon Age" or some shit. Like.. Ok, that must be the pushback to the Fortnite reference in the comments.

But just like has been said - that comical action packed fortnite trailer looks like its just some poorly thought out marketing fiasco. As the game teasers that keep coming out have, at least, "some", redeeming qualities.

As far as the DEI guys, I swear those types of people look at nerd rage on the internet for inspiration. "Oh, Rings of Power did a black elf? We can do that too! Oh.. whats that Ming ming? You want to be an Elf too? We sure can do that! Fuck all those yt nerds that think Elves need to be fair skinned! ..... (But then I just remembered that Elves are treated like absolute dog shit in the DA universe, and laughed to myself a bit.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have absolutely zero problem admitting when I am wrong.

If the trailer was just an incredibly stupid marketing attempt and the game is actually good I'll be the first to eat a whole slice of humble pie while scraping egg off my face...

...But I don't think it's going to happen

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
its-so-dense-so-dense.gif
Fuck you Rick Berman! You ruined this thread too?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It will also probably suck because everything sucks now.
"ALL THINGS SUCK NOW! EVERYTHING NEW IS TRASH, ALL THINGS OLD ARE BEST!"

Says the boomer who totally ignores the fact that we've had two of the best games in the last 2+ decades of games released, all within a span of 2 years.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Hodjing

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"ALL THINGS SUCK NOW! EVERYTHING NEW IS TRASH, ALL THINGS OLD ARE BEST!"

Says the boomer who totally ignores the fact that we've had two of the best games in the last 2+ decades of games released, all within a span of 2 years.
If you mean CP2077 and BG3, I still haven't finished either one. :p Loot and inventory management is a pain in the ass in both, fucking terrible in BG3.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you mean CP2077 and BG3, I still haven't finished either one. :p Loot and inventory management is a pain in the ass in both, fucking terrible in BG3.
You have an amazing way of ruining everything.

• 2Worf

Caliane

could also be disco elysium, a top 5 of all time game made by communists inexplicably. or Wrath of the righteous, which is my #1.
and thats just crpgs. elden ring? lies of p? tons of incredible games in the indie market too.

oh wait no. he meant Starfield. clearly he meant Starfield.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
BG3 and ER. I didn't include CP because of how long it took them to fix.

Like Caliane Caliane said, there are TONs of great games, especially "indies". Hell, Kenshi is one of my favorite games ever and basically one dude and his sister made it.

This is the best time to be a gamer. To say otherwise is willful ignorance or simply allowing nostalgia to adopt that Luddite mentality of, "everything old was awesome, everything new sucks!" - without any context or introspection whatsoever.

Hell, I fondly remember the days of scouring EB Games at the mall fucking weekly with my homies, desperately trying to find co-op games we could play together. Having to most settle for PvP shit that sucked. Now, I can't throw a rock without hitting 5 games that I badly want to play co-op with the boiz.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Unless your favorite genre is MMO...

The more I look back on EQ and WoW, the more I realize that my favorite parts of those games were the exploration, being truly excited/terrified of what was coming around the corner, and the satisfaction of completing a hard dungeon/raid. Every single one of those things was satisfied twice over in the Souls games with the added bonus of not having to find a teleport or lose a gear roll to a hunter. Fuck MMOs, they deserve the grave they dug for themselves.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The more I look back on EQ and WoW, the more I realize that my favorite parts of those games were the exploration, being truly excited/terrified of what was coming around the corner, and the satisfaction of completing a hard dungeon/raid. Every single one of those things was satisfied twice over in the Souls games with the added bonus of not having to find a teleport or lose a gear roll to a hunter. Fuck MMOs, they deserve the grave they dug for themselves.
giphy.gif

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Agree especially for a completionist. BG3 wore me down by Act 2 on inventory management that I shelved it even though I thought everything was great, I had trouble ignoring items and drops and managing shit so I essentially quit. Keep meaning to go back to it after I did some mental exercises to not loot anything at all.

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I very briefly watched some streams of it a few times. Was hard to avoid as everyone was playing it for awhile. I'll try it if I get a chance one of these days. I'm guessing the combat makes it good? Isn't it one of those roll-on-the-ground-to-avoid-damage games? That's the laziest shit mechanic.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I very briefly watched some streams of it a few times. Was hard to avoid as everyone was playing it for awhile. I'll try it if I get a chance one of these days. I'm guessing the combat makes it good? Isn't it one of those roll-on-the-ground-to-avoid-damage games? That's the laziest shit mechanic.
Yeah if you just roll around a few times you can beat every mechanic in the game. No can defend.

But seriously, everything about ER is a work of art. If you like fantasy RPGs it should be first on your list to play.

• 1Like

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider

Nope you can jump, parry, block, roll, or just move out of the way. You can use your goat horse, you can use ranged weapons or spells. It's an everything game. You can beat the entire game without ever dodging or rolling once.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

The combat is fine, you will have to get used to Souls game combat. The exploration is what makes it excellent. Have you ever played a game with a map that doesn't tell you anything about where to go or what to do? How about one that absolutely rewards you for every single bit of digging into nooks and crannies? It is also gorgeous to look at with amazing music. It is a mix of dangerous and wonderous that cannot be had in any other game.

• 1Like