Dragon Quest: The Definitive Thread

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Please, Dear God, let this be good. Enormous fan of the original series and DQM.

That looks like Saro from DQ4. If so, good choice for a game. I've never played any of the DQM series, so if anyone wants to do a quick rundown of it be my guest.

DQ12 and DQ3 Remake seem to both be pretty M.I.A. considering I made this thread a couple years ago to put news on them down and we've pretty much had nothing since...

I still haven't beaten DQ7 (3DS) or DQ8 (PS2) but I decided I'm gonna make a concerted effort to run both of them over the holidays finally. Only did DQ7 PS1 in the past and it was such a PITA that I fell far short of doing everything. Hear the 3DS version is a lot better, we'll see.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
That looks like Saro from DQ4. If so, good choice for a game. I've never played any of the DQM series, so if anyone wants to do a quick rundown of it be my guest.

DQ12 and DQ3 Remake seem to both be pretty M.I.A. considering I made this thread a couple years ago to put news on them down and we've pretty much had nothing since...

I still haven't beaten DQ7 (3DS) or DQ8 (PS2) but I decided I'm gonna make a concerted effort to run both of them over the holidays finally. Only did DQ7 PS1 in the past and it was such a PITA that I fell far short of doing everything. Hear the 3DS version is a lot better, we'll see.

DQM is like Pokemon but with an increased emphasis on breeding (or melding/synthesis, for Joker and after) and decreased emphasis on elemental rock-paper-scissors (although there are still specialized skills like Metal Slash). Most of the spells are the same as mainline Dragon Quest (so Frizz, Zap, Zam, Blizz, Woosh, etc).

In the first two DQM games for the Game Boy Color, there was more emphasis on letting your monsters determine their own moves rather than you directly controlling them; you basically set whether you wanted them to focus on offense, healing, or support, because doing so improved your monsters' personalities, and with high personality values, they had a chance of special procs based on their role (offense=auto crit; healer=MP cost to zero; support=cuts through spell resistance). They mostly got away from that and switched to direct control in Joker, although there are still certain passive monster traits that will let them attack twice or thrice if you don't issue a direct order.

You can even breed the Demon Lords if you want to (they're in what's usually called the ??? family), and they're usually the strongest options you have (although Gem Slimes make excellent healers because of how fucking fast and evasive they are).

And yeah, that is Psaro and Rose.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So it's

Game Boy Color - Dragon Warrior Monsters (1 and 2)
DS - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (1/2/3)
3DS - Terry's Wonderland
Switch - Dark Prince

Did I miss any? And did all of these get US releases? HLTB has them all at around 30 hours which is a lot, as much as I'd like to check them out. If they were like one third of that I'd totally do it. Maybe I'll get the new one though, since DQ12 is taking so long...

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
So it's

Game Boy Color - Dragon Warrior Monsters (1 and 2)
DS - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (1/2/3)
3DS - Terry's Wonderland
Switch - Dark Prince

Did I miss any? And did all of these get US releases? HLTB has them all at around 30 hours which is a lot, as much as I'd like to check them out. If they were like one third of that I'd totally do it. Maybe I'll get the new one though, since DQ12 is taking so long...

lol. 30 hours maybe if you had a guide, only did the story content, and knew exactly what to breed. For me as a junior high kid trying to fill up the monster compendium, the GBC games were basically a sandbox before sandboxes existed; talking hundreds of hours, because the dungeons were procedurally generated. Joker's story was a little more streamlined, and it had static dungeons; I could probably see the 30-hour figure there, yeah.

Joker 3 and Terry's Wonderland were Japan-only.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor

They are working on DQ12 but it's had some setbacks. There's an interview from June 2023 talking about it but it's pretty vague.

Dragon Quest XII apparently facing development difficulties as they target adult audiences and deal with remote work

Some guy in a Reddit post says he has an insider who's given him DQ info for several years and is always right. He says to expect an announcement in March 2024 and release in September 2024. Take that as you will.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They are working on DQ12 but it's had some setbacks. There's an interview from June 2023 talking about it but it's pretty vague.

Dragon Quest XII apparently facing development difficulties as they target adult audiences and deal with remote work

Some guy in a Reddit post says he has an insider who's given him DQ info for several years and is always right. He says to expect an announcement in March 2024 and release in September 2024. Take that as you will.

I was wondering where the Metal Slime King avatar guy was in this thread!

September 2024 would be perfect for me, because I'll probably be finishing up my 2018-present series replay next summer (if I can get through DQ7 over winter, the last 3 will be no problem)

It does bum me out that we have no way to play DQX though. Weren't they supposed to put out a single-player version of that game? In theory rom-hackers could translate it and put it out on Wii emulators.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A bit of an important note for anyone planning to play Dragon Quest 7 on the 3DS (like me). Looks like Nintendo is shutting down the DLC server for it in April 2024.

I haven't played it yet so I'm not entirely sure what this means. Will things still be playable if you've accessed them, or will they be inaccessible altogether after that? IDK. The "DLC server" for this game is different from most games, in that I don't think you download maps so much as just log into them.

But either way, anyone planning to play DQ7 3DS "at some point" may want to make an effort to do it before next April. The DLC maps are said to be some of the best content in the game, and they're also the only good places to actually level grind. Once they're gone, the game will be a lot more of a pain in the ass.

Personally I'm going to take a swing at starting the game over the Christmas holiday and hopefully get through it.