Dragon Quest: The Definitive Thread

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought a New 2ds just so I can hack it and play DQ7-8. Hard to go from Switch screen to 2ds tho, size difference is crazy.
Did you look into emulation? If you need the portable aspect it's not necessarily great I guess, but for playing at home it's much better imo. I've been playing Etrian Odyssey Nexus the past couple of weeks on emulator, using Citra and it basically runs perfectly, the filters to smooth it out isn't that great but can only do so much with the base shitty 3DS resolution on a 4K screen but it's decent enough. Just need to find the roms which I did a few years ago, I don't know if they're hard to find now. I only grabbed a few games I was interested in anyway and don't know if I'll ever play them, just felt like playing Etrian the other day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I found
dq7 + a working 3ds emu dled and running on my galaxy s8 in under 10 mins just now
if you are having issues.

Yeah that could work. Damn, that's sick. I could probably play the 3DS DQ8 on there too. DQ8 is the one I missed entirely.

What's better, PS2 DQ8 or 3DS DQ8?

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah that could work. Damn, that's sick. I could probably play the 3DS DQ8 on there too. DQ8 is the one I missed entirely.

I've never owned a ds to offer that opinion. 🤷‍♂️
I'll dm you in a little bit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Probably ps2. It was a 1080 capable system where nds was a weird resolution like 800. The emulators for 3DS are always weird with the second screen. Many games all it did was display something like a map. I’d rather just have a full screen emulated and press a button to see the map.

I’m not sure if that applies to DQ8, just my past experiences with DS emulators and other games in the past.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On Citra, you can just display the main screen and switch screens on a button(F9 by default but can rebind), or use different sized screens if the other screen is somewhat relevant. In my setup, the main screen is like 3200 x whatever and the other screen is much smaller fitting in the rest of the screen, so I can still see it without having to swap(on Etrian it's the map so it's actually important) but it's not annoying. You can have them to whatever custom size you want which is nice, and you can even make them overlap(for example can put the small bottom screen in a corner like a minimap, although depending on the game it can be annoying to display it like that).

Citra is also available on google store so I assume it runs on mobiles, although I don't know if it's the best one for mobiles or not, and probably need a pretty beefy phone to run it smoothly.

Example of my current setup stuff, second screen is large enough that I can see it cause it's relevant for this game, but if it's not you can make it a lot smaller, or overlay it on top of the other screen to save space instead. Still it's plenty like this.
Base Profile Screenshot 2021.09.30 - 17.43.57.52.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
On Citra, you can just display the main screen and switch screens on a button(F9 by default but can rebind), or use different sized screens if the other screen is somewhat relevant. In my setup, the main screen is like 3200 x whatever and the other screen is much smaller fitting in the rest of the screen, so I can still see it without having to swap(on Etrian it's the map so it's actually important) but it's not annoying. You can have them to whatever custom size you want which is nice, and you can even make them overlap(for example can put the small bottom screen in a corner like a minimap, although depending on the game it can be annoying to display it like that).

Citra is also available on google store so I assume it runs on mobiles, although I don't know if it's the best one for mobiles or not, and probably need a pretty beefy phone to run it smoothly.

Example of my current setup stuff, second screen is large enough that I can see it cause it's relevant for this game, but if it's not you can make it a lot smaller, or overlay it on top of the other screen to save space instead. Still it's plenty like this.
How do you draw the map? It’s been a long time since I played those but I remember you had to draw the map with the stylus. Was pretty annoying, I really liked the games despite that annoyance.

joz123

Potato del Grande

3ds version is better. Has more characters, orchestra soundtrack, extra dungeons and instead of random battles the monsters appear on the screen like they do in DQ11.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
3ds version is better. Has more characters, orchestra soundtrack, extra dungeons and instead of random battles the monsters appear on the screen like they do in DQ11.

I'm referring more to "3DS emulator on phone versus PS2 on TV" so I guess a lot comes down to how the emulator goes for me. It's good to know the 3DS versions of 7 and 8 are such improvements though. If all goes well with emulation, I'll be able to play 7/8/9 again that way, and then the wait begins for a DQ10 localization...

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This sounds like it’s almost a different game then. Rajaah Rajaah you have to play through both if you want to earn my respect.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How do you draw the map? It’s been a long time since I played those but I remember you had to draw the map with the stylus. Was pretty annoying, I really liked the games despite that annoyance.
You can draw directly with the mouse, it emulates the touch screen perfectly like that. I set the automap option to full(it draws walls and ground tiles as you walk next to/on them) so I don't have to do it too much though, but whenever I want to draw stuff in the distance or add things, I just use the mouse to do it. Gamepad otherwise. With the automap features they added starting Untold, honestly you don't really have to draw, you just have the option to add text or objects on the map it doesn't do automatically(like doors, shortcuts, chests, gathering points, regen spots, FOEs spawn points or pathing and so on).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You can draw directly with the mouse, it emulates the touch screen perfectly like that. I set the automap option to full(it draws walls and ground tiles as you walk next to/on them) so I don't have to do it too much though, but whenever I want to draw stuff in the distance or add things, I just use the mouse to do it. Gamepad otherwise. With the automap features they added starting Untold, honestly you don't really have to draw, you just have the option to add text or objects on the map it doesn't do automatically(like doors, shortcuts, chests, gathering points, regen spots, FOEs spawn points or pathing and so on).
Ah that sounds way better. I only played the first two and it was the only part I really didn’t like. I may look into emulating the later one some day.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah that sounds way better. I only played the first two and it was the only part I really didn’t like. I may look into emulating the later one some day.
Googling it quickly cause I didn't remember for sure, IV(the first 3DS game) started the automapping, but it's the "partial" automapping option, where it only colors the ground tiles you're walking on, you still have to draw the walls. Starting Untold 1(which is a remake of EO1 with additional classes, dungeons, voice acting and a story mode) they have the option for the "full" automapping which adds walls automatically around you. The rest also has this(Untold 2 which is a remake of 2, V and Nexus which is the final EO and is a big mix of all previous EOs). This still forces you to add some stuff to the map yourself as I mentionned, like doors and shortcuts and stuff but that's just drag and dropping icons on the map every now and then, and the rest works more or less like automapping works in other games.

Untold is also when they start some other qol iirc like floor warps(once you clear 80% of the map of a floor, you can warp directly to the stairs when you come back from town so you don't have to constantly walk through cleared floors) and mass selling, iirc.

So you can pretty easily play Untold 1, Untold 2, V and Nexus without much hassle, but playing IV and III means sadly going to less friendly mechanics(III especially since even IV did some efforts in comparison, wish they had made Untold 3).

Anyway not really the right thread, although DQ did the same sort of things with the 3DS remakes of the older games and more qol features in the modern ones.

• 1Like

Szlia

Koichi Sugiyama, the composer of all the DQ games, just died. He was 90 (he was already in his 50s when he started working for Enix).

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Koichi Sugiyama, the composer of all the DQ games, just died. He was 90 (he was already in his 50s when he started working for Enix).

Dude made some amazing shit. RIP

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a weird history when it comes to Dragon Quest. I was very much into DQ1 on the NES (it may be the 1st or 2nd RPG I ever played) but for whatever the reason I never continued on with the series. Played DQ2 but never finished it and then I haven't played any of the others. Part of the reason may be because I heavily gravitated towards the FF series and then at some point I got a Genesis and went hardcore into PS (as well as some other RPG's on that system like Vermillion). I've always wanted to maybe get back into it (I have DQXI on my wishlist), just a question of finding the time. I've always thought it was a great series regardless.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

RIP.

I found DQ music to be weak overall, but mad respect for all game music composers regardless.

spronk

FPS noob
he was an interesting dude, he probably viewed all white people as white devils

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
he was an interesting dude, he probably viewed all white people as white devils

Could they maybe leave out the "he said bad things back in the 80's!" in a fucking obituary post?

• 1Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Could they maybe leave out the "he said bad things back in the 80's!" in a fucking obituary post?
If you follow the thread the douche starts making it about himself, these people are insufferable narcissists in desperate need of a physical beating, nothing too brutal just a bloody/broken nose, couple of loose teeth, black eye, and maybe a short nap on the pavement. You know, the kind of shit we used to get in fist fights as kids (I lost more than I won by a wide margin).

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Please, Dear God, let this be good. Enormous fan of the original series and DQM.

Last edited:
  • 1Like