dragon riders of pern--ebook 2 bucks

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if anyone is interested the first 3 dragonrider e-books are avail(dragonflight/dragonquest/the white dragon) for 2 bucks(total for all 3) @ B&N and amazon

i have not read them in years but...for the price, getting them

edited saying ebook in text.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
if anyone is interested the first 3 dragonrider books are avail(dragonflight/dragonquest/the white dragon) for 2 bucks @ B&N and amazon

i have not read them in years but...for the price, getting them
You can probably find these for free at your local library.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
2 bucks for all 3 e-books is a good price. which is why i posted this, i already own the books. hell i already have the E-books(!elit file you know)i just figured , good price for 3 really good books.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All of the ones by Anne are pretty enjoyable. The books where she started collaborating with her son are fucking awful.

iannis

Musty Nester
Bradley is the same way. Her Darkovers are fun. The ones that she let her brother/fans write... not as much.

If you like pern and haven't read Darkover, DO EET FAGGET. They're totally not close to the same thing, but if you like one you'll probably like the other.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bradley is the same way. Her Darkovers are fun. The ones that she let her brother/fans write... not as much.

If you like pern and haven't read Darkover, DO EET FAGGET. They're totally not close to the same thing, but if you like one you'll probably like the other.
I just don't get how book critics were slobbing on his knob going 'oh man this is the same Pern' when it's not even close. Anne's pern was fairly light, and she tended to gloss over the details of a fall. You got the impression that it wasexceptionallyrare for a dragon or rider to die to thread score. Honestly, aside from all the implied nastiness about Fax, the darkest things she ever wrote were F'lon getting murdered, and F'lessan and Golanth getting crippled, and you knew F'lon was gonna die at some point in the book since it was previously established that he died in a gather brawl.

Todd's books, jesus christ it's like fanfic. Really dark fanfic. Between plague after plague, riders dying in every threadfall, freak accidents on top of that, and it quickly got to the point where I just wasn't invested in any of the characters anymore. Like when Fiona gets trapped in the time snarl, I was just like 'oh fucking well there goes Fiona' and then was surprised that the chosen one managed to save her. Speaking of chosen one, WHAT THE FUCK. He turned a light sci-fi setting into fucking high goddamn fantasy. Timing it used to be a fairly dramatic and uncommon occurrence. Instead every single fucking problem gets solved by time travel. Then we have a tribe of gypsies who can see the future. THEN MORE FUCKING TIME TRAVEL.

Ugh. He ruined the fucking series. I honestly probably won't even read After the Fall is Over, assuming Todd finishes it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it's kinda nuts. The whole unspoken point of timing it is that that shit right there... that shit CANNOT be good for you.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I remember reading about the Dragons of Pern by Anne McCraffrey in elementary and middle school. I was obsessed with them. I hated the third book though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I remember reading about the Dragons of Pern by Anne McCraffrey in elementary and middle school. I was obsessed with them. I hated the third book though.
I figured gays would love Dragonriders of Pern, seeing as how a significant portion of the world's heroes are gay or bisexual.

iannis

Musty Nester
There are some very prominent gay characters in Darkover as well.

And you root for them. They're not flaming queens, they're just gay dudes. Women wrote both series. I think that makes a difference.

We're not talking about high literature. We're talking about relatively light fantasy. When a dude writes gay characters in light fantasy they turn out to be pedophiles or corpse fuckers. DARKEN RAAAAAAHL. Or if he's gay himself they turn out to be these ridiculous sorts of characters.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're not talking about high literature. We're talking about relatively light fantasy. When a dude writes gay characters in light fantasy they turn out to be pedophiles or corpse fuckers. DARKEN RAAAAAAHL. Or if he's gay himself they turn out to be these ridiculous sorts of characters.
Renly and Loras!

I find that's actually the type you get a lot, where the character is quietly gay. Which makes sense since they're generally living in these generic macho medieval type settings.

As for Dragonriders of Pern, I'm not sure the last one I read. I remember one of them teleporting to a spaceship/satellite, and I think one after that where it was the constant jumping back and forth in time to bring dragonriders from millennia ago to replace dead ones.

I read another from McCaffery once, Dinosaur Planet or something like that. Was about on par with the Pern books. Good mix of sci-fi and caveman type shit.

Digby_sl

shitlord
Loras vs Ringil ?

Dragonflightwas my first Fantasy book ever, and read a lot of the series... not sure I want to ruin that memory by reading these as an adult.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Renly and Loras!

I find that's actually the type you get a lot, where the character is quietly gay. Which makes sense since they're generally living in these generic macho medieval type settings.

As for Dragonriders of Pern, I'm not sure the last one I read. I remember one of them teleporting to a spaceship/satellite, and I think one after that where it was the constant jumping back and forth in time to bring dragonriders from millennia ago to replace dead ones.

I read another from McCaffery once, Dinosaur Planet or something like that. Was about on par with the Pern books. Good mix of sci-fi and caveman type shit.
Teleporting to an orbiting spaceship happens in All the Weyrs of Pern iirc. It happens shortly after they reactivate AIVAS. The jumping back to bring dragonriders forward is probably from the very first book, when Lessa goes back 400 years to bring back the oldtimers to repopulate the empty weyrs. She takes one long trip 400 years back and almost dies from the stress/oxygen deprivation, so they take a bunch of short 25 year hops forward to get back.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The jumping back to bring dragonriders forward is probably from the very first book, when Lessa goes back 400 years to bring back the oldtimers to repopulate the empty weyrs. She takes one long trip 400 years back and almost dies from the stress/oxygen deprivation, so they take a bunch of short 25 year hops forward to get back.
No it's one of the later books, written with Todd or just by him. Not important.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No it's one of the later books, written with Todd or just by him. Not important.
Well it was only the third pass during Turd McCaffrey's books so they couldn't go that far back. But yes, it's not important because his books sucked.

iannis

Musty Nester
Loras vs Ringil ?

Dragonflightwas my first Fantasy book ever, and read a lot of the series... not sure I want to ruin that memory by reading these as an adult.
They're still pretty good as an adult, but you can see a lot more of the organizational craft that went into writing them. The White Dragon is actually much BETTER as an adult. That, I think, was the book McCaffery wanted to write.

Arakkis

N00b
I don't understand how these books have become so successful. Dragonsdawn was enjoyable for the scifi planetary colonization elements and Moreta was interesting to me because of the story of how a primitive society would deal with a disease outbreak, but the main three books of this series were terrible. The moods and motivations of many of the main characters change in an almost bipolar way. One second they are noble and honest, and the next they want to commit genocide. And for some reason McCaffrey likes to use exclamation points in places where they are not needed! I am often at a loss to understand what emotion the character is conveying when the exclamation points are used! This seems to be part of a larger problem where the character interactions make little sense as human beings talking to each other. She often describes the characters as crying with laughter over interactions that seem more awkward than funny or witty. Maybe I don't have the nostalgia of reading these as a child to fall back on, but I have been recently going back and reading some of these older series, and this is the first one I am not enjoying. I will probably finish the third in the main trilogy tonight because I have taken to skipping pages of useless dialog that does nothing to advance the story.

TLDR: I just don't understand what people find appealing about these books.