Dragon's Dogma 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
DD was kind of my first introduction to somewhat hard, non hand holding action games. For a lot of people it was one of the Souls game but I'll never forget walking in the dark night and coming across a troll at a bridge. Shit got my heart beating fast as I couldn't see WTF I was doing and the thing was hard. The first griffon kill was pretty epic too and then there was the dragon? thing at the bottom of some deep pit or something like that? The pawns made it maybe a little too easy eventually but I thought they were a fun concept.
Don't know how it'll be for this but online pawns tend to be pretty broken cause the cost to hire them was absolutely not scaled properly and you could end with like lvl 100 pawns at lvl 15 or whatever, it's definitely one of these feature that's better ignored if you're looking at a more challenging run. I think since this one has you design all your pawns it shouldn't be as bad, in the first one you only designed your "main" pawn, and then you'd get 2 other random ones out of a pool of premade pawns(if offline) or 2 out of the online stuff, but in DD2 seems you can make your whole 5 man party(your main char+4pawns) so definitely what I'll do and I'll ignore other people's pawns.

Made my char earlier today, will probably tweak it somewhat until release, I'll get the pawns done too later will probably just do generic appearances for them as I can't be bothered doing too much for them, probably big brawny guy for a fighter, young elven girl for mage and another one for last slot although I'm not sure what I want to make with that yet, likely archer cause I bet the melee AI is still dumb as fuck at times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don't know how it'll be for this but online pawns tend to be pretty broken cause the cost to hire them was absolutely not scaled properly and you could end with like lvl 100 pawns at lvl 15 or whatever, it's definitely one of these feature that's better ignored if you're looking at a more challenging run. I think since this one has you design all your pawns it shouldn't be as bad, in the first one you only designed your "main" pawn, and then you'd get 2 other random ones out of a pool of premade pawns(if offline) or 2 out of the online stuff, but in DD2 seems you can make your whole 5 man party(your main char+4pawns) so definitely what I'll do and I'll ignore other people's pawns.

Made my char earlier today, will probably tweak it somewhat until release, I'll get the pawns done too later will probably just do generic appearances for them as I can't be bothered doing too much for them, probably big brawny guy for a fighter, young elven girl for mage and another one for last slot although I'm not sure what I want to make with that yet, likely archer cause I bet the melee AI is still dumb as fuck at times.
Made your char?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I never played the first one, but I want to give this a shot. I'm going to play on PC, and I see people saying you will want to use a controller over mouse and keyboard for this game. Is that true?

You should absolutely use a controller.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Made your char?
Last page has links they released the char creator, can get it on Steam directly on the store page or on PSN and the xbox equivalent, so you can make your char in advance and just play when it releases, it's not much but saves some time if you like customizing stuff for a while.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There were actually a fair number of underground dungeon areas in the original base game, aside from the endgame loop of Everfall. The caves under the town, ruins under the waterfall, dungeon in the city, cave passage to the goblin wall, undead cultist lair, princess prison, and far north waterfall cave were all part of the base game. That being said, I am fine if they step back on that number a tad to focus on more variety elsewhere.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
DD was kind of my first introduction to somewhat hard, non hand holding action games. For a lot of people it was one of the Souls game but I'll never forget walking in the dark night and coming across a troll at a bridge. Shit got my heart beating fast as I couldn't see WTF I was doing and the thing was hard.
This is what really hooked me. I thought it was hard at first, then the first big fight was cool enough so kept with it. Then was wandering around at night and came across a cyclops. The lantern light swinging around, climbing the fucker, can’t see shit outside our fight. Shit was amazing and I was hooked hard after that, was such an epic fight.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm just going full on big axe wielding warrior for this.

Mystic spearhand too gay. Trickster seems cool though.
Going archer into magic archer…I think, with pure offensive mage pawn. Unless they balanced warrior I remember them being mostly shit until 80% in. The taunt barely worked, couldn’t really take more hits than anyone else etc. Weakspot damage and climbing on large creatures effectively is king so archer or thief type for me. As a warrior the first cyclops with armored ankles is gonna make me reroll 😅

Then again early dungeons with humanoid sized dudes might be a problem.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Going archer into magic archer…I think, with pure offensive mage pawn. Unless they balanced warrior I remember them being mostly shit until 80% in. The taunt barely worked, couldn’t really take more hits than anyone else etc. Weakspot damage and climbing on large creatures effectively is king so archer or thief type for me. As a warrior the first cyclops with armored ankles is gonna make me reroll 😅

Then again early dungeons with humanoid sized dudes might be a problem.
With respecing at camps I think you can probably switch your setup based on what you're gonna be fighting so even with just warrior as long as you spec into the skill that does damage when you're climbing on shit you'd likely be fine for example.

Fighter wasn't so bad either the taunt worked well against wolves/goblins/birds which is the annoying trash mobs, and it had good dmg skills for single target too but a pawn can do that shit just as well so eh.

I'll be starting Thief since that's what I liked the most in DD1(the melee part of Strider/Magick Archer), but not sure what I want to do after, I think it'll depend on how easy the other classes are to unlock and what skills they have that they might not have shown, so I'll decide once I have data. Magick Archer as pure archer sounds meh for me as I barely used their ranged skills in the first game, so maybe Spear guy since it looks kinda broken with the teleport on top of enemies shit. Might just go Warrior too cause big sword is fun, I wonder if they'll be able to slip in Guts cosplay into the game again. If unlocked early and there's not many/any hidden skills I might just go Warfarer though so I can just mix stuff up and feel more like DD1 with a proper full skill setup.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
With respecing at camps I think you can probably switch your setup based on what you're gonna be fighting so even with just warrior as long as you spec into the skill that does damage when you're climbing on shit you'd likely be fine for example.

Fighter wasn't so bad either the taunt worked well against wolves/goblins/birds which is the annoying trash mobs, and it had good dmg skills for single target too but a pawn can do that shit just as well so eh.

I'll be starting Thief since that's what I liked the most in DD1(the melee part of Strider/Magick Archer), but not sure what I want to do after, I think it'll depend on how easy the other classes are to unlock and what skills they have that they might not have shown, so I'll decide once I have data. Magick Archer as pure archer sounds meh for me as I barely used their ranged skills in the first game, so maybe Spear guy since it looks kinda broken with the teleport on top of enemies shit. Might just go Warrior too cause big sword is fun, I wonder if they'll be able to slip in Guts cosplay into the game again. If unlocked early and there's not many/any hidden skills I might just go Warfarer though so I can just mix stuff up and feel more like DD1 with a proper full skill setup.
If respec comes with stats as well then yeah don’t matter but if you locked into what you leveled as then you might gimp yourself.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If respec comes with stats as well then yeah don’t matter but if you locked into what you leveled as then you might gimp yourself.
Na they said stats don't work like in 1, and stats didn't matter that much anyway in 1 it was some min maxing bullshit but ultimately you could absolutely switch to war/assassin even after leveling to 200 as sorc, you just did a bit less damage but difficulty was never that high in DD1 that the 15-20% less dmg actually mattered. Also that was mostly when playing those 2 extremes, if you played anything like strider/mystic knight/magick archer their stats growth were a bunch of everything so you weren't good/bad at anything anyway so could easy switch to other stuff.

• 1Solidarity

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Anyone making any good characters with the character creator? These are the best I could come up with - I am not good at this.

1710037809162.png

1710037935713.png

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll buy this for sure but not having played the first one mess with my OCD.

DD1 is a good game worth playing? Its like 4 dorrah on Steam right now.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll buy this for sure but not having played the first one mess with my OCD.

DD1 is a good game worth playing? Its like 4 dorrah on Steam right now.

It's well worth picking up, especially on sale. It's still fun as hell.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

C
It's well worth picking up, especially on sale. It's still fun as hell.
Cool! Bought it, I think it might be a good Steam Deck game as well.

Any particular class(?) if you want to have an easy time in it?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
C

Cool! Bought it, I think it might be a good Steam Deck game as well.

Any particular class(?) if you want to have an easy time in it?

Mage/Sorc can be a bit annoying for first time players due to long cast times and targeting spells, so I'd suggest fighter or strider to start. At level 10 the advanced vocations open up. The main character can freely respec vocations, so give them a try and find what you like. You main pawn can also be respecced, but cannot use any of the hybrid vocations.

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
To get the most out of DD1's combat, I'd recommend going dagger assassin so that you can climb on monsters' backs and use heavy attacks. Make your main pawn either a tank or mage, and then hire a tank or mage whichever you didn't choose. last pawn is a flex slot, can be anything you feel contributes the most.

Climbing on monsters' backs and going to town is the most fun part of the game.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

It's a bit dated in the UI/gameplay but it feels like a solid RPG for sure. Now after playing a while it does not bother me at all. It's just that I have no clue WTH I am doing.

Need to protect at least one milker!

Skärmbild 2024-03-10 110526.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's a bit dated in the UI/gameplay but it feels like a solid RPG for sure. Now after playing a while it does not bother me at all. It's just that I have no clue WTH I am doing.

Need to protect at least one milker!

View attachment 519037
If you just follow the main questline you'll basically get stuff done, just ignore Bitterblack Isle when that unlocks as it's basically endgame content(it's the Dark Arisen DLC stuff but can be accessed pretty early iirc, just you'll get smashed and do 1dmg per hit until you have enough gear).

And yeah Strider definitely the better class to start with and get into the combat although Fighter also works. Once you unlock other classes I'd recommend checking Magick Archer(need Strider+Mage) as it's basically magic strider and has really cool skills, Assassin(strider+fighter) which is a more traditional stabber and Mystic Knight(fighter+mage) which is some sort of paladin thing but with a unique skill that creates floating turrets that fire magic bolts at stuff when you hit them with your weapon. Sorcerer can be fun too(big spells).

• 1Like

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so apparently encumbrance is still an issue. thinking of going thief but probably have to go through some levels of warrior for carrying perks then swap to thief