Dragon's Dogma 2

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Never fast travel, one of the best things about DD is the night time atmosphere - no other game comes close.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What does this mean!?!? Is it gonna rock? Capcom fully funding it?!

Skärmbild 2024-03-16 122955.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I tried to play Monster Hunter a couple years ago, but instantly refunded it when I realized you can't rebind keys. I've played on the right side of the keyboard (directional keys) my entire life and I couldn't play a game using WASD if you had a gun to my head.
friend disturbing GIF

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man I am trying to find the joy in the original and struggling. There is definitely a charm here but it's so fuckin janky. Sometimes I feel like I am having fun and others I find it completely tedious.

Might end up lumping this in with the Monster Hunter camp where I say it's good for someone but not for me.
I focused on getting the main story done and found DD1 to be an acceptable experience, but once that was done, I have had no desire to play the game again. On the other hand, I found Monster Hunter World so uninteresting that I couldn't make it past the 10 hour mark.

Aazrael

Since I don't really know what is MSQ and what is not in this Game, how far into the game is the Trial for the Merchant guy?

And also is the MSQ doing the quests at the castle? And sidequests are the townfolk quests?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I focused on getting the main story done and found DD1 to be an acceptable experience, but once that was done, I have had no desire to play the game again. On the other hand, I found Monster Hunter World so uninteresting that I couldn't make it past the 10 hour mark.
Spewing Tyler Perry GIF by Nickelodeon

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Since I don't really know what is MSQ and what is not in this Game, how far into the game is the Trial for the Merchant guy?

And also is the MSQ doing the quests at the castle? And sidequests are the townfolk quests?
The OG was riddled with sidequest and random shit you can find by just exploring. Honestly, once you feel strong enough (lol you never are till the end) then just leave the highway and go venture into the forest and fields.

Talos

I'm also currently playing through the first one. I bought it back in 2017. Played a few hours and hated it so much I put it in "Hidden" games on steam.

Last week I decided to give it another chance due to DD2 hype. I'm having a blast. Not sure what the difference is between 2017 and now but something just clicked. I love it.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Think I was too underleveld at the last part. Just rushed to the end and bargained my way out! Probably the bad ending. :p

Will watch the other endings and now I'm redy for the sequel.

Edit: Tried one more time and got to the dragon with all the Pawns alive. Ended up killing him without too much trouble.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Did not know there were liek 2 more endings after the dragon. Collected all the wakestones
and killed the Seneshal and myself in the end
. So now it should be complete.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did not know there were liek 2 more endings after the dragon. Collected all the wakestones
and killed the Seneshal and myself in the end
. So now it should be complete.
Well there's still Bitterblack Isle, the DLC dungeon thing. I'd recommend checking it out since you still have half a week before DD2 anyway, BBI was really cool for postgame content. It might kick your ass if your gear is shit and your level low though(like for example if you rush the main story and didn't do sidequests). Well that and the original postgame content with the Ur-Dragon, worth fighting at least once.

I hope DD2 has a decent postgame too, I remember spending a fair bit of time in the postgame for DD1, on the flipside NG+ was kinda ass cause it didn't increase difficulty(they added Hard Mode with Dark Arisen DLC, but the "hard" mode is weird and not really much harder, just makes the early game a pain in the dick due to high damage scaling and then becomes more or less the same), so hope they improve on that as I want to do some NG+ stuff. A system like Elden Ring where it gets a bit harder every run would be great for longetivity.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Well there's still Bitterblack Isle, the DLC dungeon thing. I'd recommend checking it out since you still have half a week before DD2 anyway, BBI was really cool for postgame content. It might kick your ass if your gear is shit and your level low though(like for example if you rush the main story and didn't do sidequests). Well that and the original postgame content with the Ur-Dragon, worth fighting at least once.

I hope DD2 has a decent postgame too, I remember spending a fair bit of time in the postgame for DD1, on the flipside NG+ was kinda ass cause it didn't increase difficulty(they added Hard Mode with Dark Arisen DLC, but the "hard" mode is weird and not really much harder, just makes the early game a pain in the dick due to high damage scaling and then becomes more or less the same), so hope they improve on that as I want to do some NG+ stuff. A system like Elden Ring where it gets a bit harder every run would be great for longetivity.
Might try the BBI during the week. Not sure if I am strong enough for it though. How many hours is that part anyway?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm also currently playing through the first one. I bought it back in 2017. Played a few hours and hated it so much I put it in "Hidden" games on steam.

Last week I decided to give it another chance due to DD2 hype. I'm having a blast. Not sure what the difference is between 2017 and now but something just clicked. I love it.

Skyrim more than likely. They came out so close to each other than mfers were not getting off that Skyrim D for the DD!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Might try the BBI during the week. Not sure if I am strong enough for it though. How many hours is that part anyway?

BBI aka Dark Arisen is the shit. It takes the atmosphere you felt outside in the dark and made it into an entire island of eerie shrieks and monsters.

and the Boss is a total douche, however eventually i farmed him for all the goods - the bow from him made my guy a god.

• 2Like

Caliane

Skyrim more than likely. They came out so close to each other than mfers were not getting off that Skyrim D for the DD!
yeah.
Dark souls. Sept, 2011
Skyrim. nov 2011.

dragons dogma may 2012.

Raw numbers skyrim crushed them both. but, both also just totally dominated the coversations. DD did actualy sell almost as many games as Dark souls, around 2m.

I've actually tried to get into DD twice. neither time did I actually make it to gran soren.
first time, turned left explored the woody/plains area with the chimera. then down witchwood, did that and got bored..
second time, pretty much the same, but did explore more. might have made it TO gran soren, but never went in.

what doesn't catch me? lack of real exploration maybe? lack of character building depth? probably those two things.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
what doesn't catch me? lack of real exploration maybe? lack of character building depth? probably those two things.
Er, what? DD has both of those things in spades.

The game doesn't even start until you get to Gran Soren, which should happen within the first hour of play since you always want to be max level 10 when you get there. You certainly can't see what the character building is like, since that's the first place you can actually change vocations.

• 1Worf

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much as expected. Great game with performance and graphical (turn bloom off being the biggest takeaway) issues that seem par for the course with RE Engine. Still a bit concerned about it being less an actual sequel and more like some sort of "Dragon's Dogma done right" redux edition, but I'm definitely buying it.

...on Xbox, because Denuvo (and potentially even Enigma since Capcom has been going full retard lately) can still eat a fucking dick. On the bright side, while the performance will certainly suck compared to my 7800XT/5600X3D, the NZ trick will mean getting to start tomorrow at 7AM.

On the topic of 'DD done right' I really hope that they revamped how loot works, because there's got to be some middle ground between "spend 80 hours to gear up one vocation" or "save scum every chest and purification". Also, it's good to know that stats change based on the vocation you are using instead of being locked to whatever you were when you leveled up, but I also hope they made it so that upgrading skills doesn't lock you out of the lesser versions permanently. Even though DD1 is 10+ years old now, trying to find a mage pawn that has plain Anodyne instead of High/Grand is infuriating. Ditto for most sorc spells, shield drum being a downgrade from summons instead of an upgrade, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Like