Dragon's Dogma 2

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Think I may just go Sorcerer since I was just playing a melee build in Elden Ring.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's no need to be any particular thing since you can change it whenever you want and even your stats will change to match the current vocation you're using. That said, spell syncing is still a thing so it's always a good idea to have the gear ready to play both you and your main pawn as sorcs (also mage, since it's no longer just for sorcs in DD2). Trying to find rando pawns suitable for syncing was annoying even at max level in DD1 and I don't see that changing much in this. At least this time around inclinations are a lot easier to change, but it still requires people to actually know which ones to use for each vocation, and then actually change them. Based on how many pawns there are in DD1 with guardian/medicant/nexus/acquisitor after a decade of knowledge being put out, I'm not optimistic about the community being any better in DD2.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The game apparently is very heavily CPU bound.

It's going to be very interesting to see the Gamer Nexus breakdown when the video comes out.
This was the issue ppl mentionned even during the preview event basically and a few reviews pinpointed the issue even on console.

And yeah every review pretty much seem to say the same thing. Game is great BUT the performance is bad, both on PC and consoles, with PC being better but still not good even with the best CPU on the market, especially in area with a lot of NPCs like cities and some camps, and the game is very very similar to DD1 in terms of content(monster variety, vocations, combat systems, quests and so on) so it's more of a continuation/reboot of the game rather than a full blown sequel. The later issue isn't really one if you liked DD1 and just want more of it, but if you didn't or wanted something truly different that might be a problem. As for performance, it's unlikely it'll be fixed, best you could hope for is DLSS3/FSR3 framegen support on PC to generate additional frames and prevent the drops as much by capping it at 60(which currently isn't in the game, they only added the upscaling parts).

Still sounds good but with my non optimal PC I'm not sure what sort of performance I'm going to be looking at.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

It's unfortunate, but I try to keep in mind that DD (pre-DA) ran [and sometimes looked] like dogshit on the PS3 and was still one of my favorite games ever. Even Dark Arisen was still 30 fps on XB1/PS4 (or XSX/PS5, for that matter).

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was a terrible idea to play DDDA on my current PC right before DD2's release, since a drop from constant 100+ fps all the way down to 28-40 fps with poor frame pacing will make DD2's flaws even more glaringly obvious. With super high fps even using bow skills with a gamepad was pretty easy, but knocking that down to 30-ish will make those vocations just about useless except for on pawns, just like they were on PS3 in 2013. (Assuming the game still has basically no aim assist, and given that they resisted the idea of lock-on I doubt they'd cave on aim assist either.)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The game has aim assist if you don't aim manually, might be some skills that require manual aiming but a fair few looked they just fired directly in 3rd person and were automatically aimed at whatever was in front of you from the vocation trailer. You can choose to manually aim the same skills too if you want to target a specific part. Magick Archer meanwhile is largely auto aiming projectiles anyway so shouldn't be too much of an issue. And archer in DD1 was one of the strongest class if not the strongest, the multishot skill+explosive arrows was ridiculous powerful(although it was a pain to use in terms of inventory management, strain on ressources and longetivity when heading out, but it melts bosses). The low FPS didn't matter all that much imo for aiming, 30FPS isn't that bad for aiming, as long as you didn't have a pawn casting Maelstrom and tanking your FPS down to 10.

Anyway still excited, now hoping Capcom doesn't pull a Capcom and actually distributes their keys to 3rd parties in a timely manner so I get my keys before the game releases. They're very hit or miss on that, sometimes you get the keys half a day before release, sometimes 10mins before release and sometimes a few hours after(RE5 or something recently had that issue). Bought mine from GMG cause they sold it for cheaper there(same for Fanatical) and I've never really had issues with GMG but I remember Iceborne keys being distributed literally like 15-20mins before release. Still saving 15-20% on a game worth 70bucks is pretty good.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure what to play. I did the Rogue into Magic Bow in my DD playthrough. But it seems they split the Vocations a bit more in this one. Also kinda want to play something different this time, might try Mage/Sorc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure what to play. I did the Rogue into Magic Bow in my DD playthrough. But it seems they split the Vocations a bit more in this one. Also kinda want to play something different this time, might try Mage/Sorc.
Mage does look less shit than in the first and Sorc is one of the 2 vocations(other is Warrior) that you can unlock basically right away so wouldn't be a bad choice, plus they made some spells better for general use(the lightning spell lets you spend additional stamina to repeatedly recast bolts so you can quickly dispatch trash mobs by just spamming lightnings for example).

Since I didn't replay the game I'll be going Thief first and then see, I do want to play most vocations at some point so I'll probably use NG+ and stuff like that to play more things.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hope that we still have the badass tornado spell. Shit is so destructive and chaotic. Probably my favorite spell in any game.

• 1Mother of God

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I hope that we still have the badass tornado spell. Shit is so destructive and chaotic. Probably my favorite spell in any game.

Video just above your post has several use of Tornado, reviewer apparently only played Sorc(in one part he shows the vocation screen and he's like rank 4 mage rank 9 sorc rank 1 or unlearned in everything else). There's a part at ~6mins that's pretty funny with it.

• 1I Came

Vorph

Thief > Magick Archer for me, Mage for my pawn since vocation no longer matters for stat progression. Gotta have the mage myself because random online ones usually suck at it, plus I assume XP works the same as in DD and you want to avoid hiring pawns until you're high enough level that hiring one that's ~15 levels below you isn't a hindrance.

Mage does look less shit than in the first
From what I read it sounds like mage got a pretty huge buff relative to sorc. What features pawns actually use effectively remains to be seen as always though.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
IMG_3063.jpeg

• 1Worf

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
The reviews make it sound like the RGP elements are half baked. I really enjoyed the 1st one and I know I will play this. I hope I can immense myself in FF7 Rebirth and not impulse buy this before some of the major bugs are ironed out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The reviews make it sound like the RGP elements are half baked. I really enjoyed the 1st one and I know I will play this. I hope I can immense myself in FF7 Rebirth and not impulse buy this before some of the major bugs are ironed out.
They’re probably right. DD1 RPG elements were half baked as hell.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, DD1 was never great as an RPG. It's just one of those games where the oddities and jank make the good stuff more enjoyable.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!