Dragon's Dogma 2

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The save explains something I saw earlier. Watching a few minutes of random streamer cause I don't know anything about the game. He was trying to make an Inn save and it seemed like it was a huge pain in the ass and 10 plus minutes after he said he had to go before he could save and exit out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is any of this shit necessary anyways? I havent played DD1 in so long i dont remember fast traveling. I am pretty sure i walked 99% of everywhere i went.
It's all super optional stuff and/or common stuff. The camping gear you literally find dozens of them on the ground and you can buy them in shops, wakestone shards you get a lot just playing the game normally and unless you're one of these game journos dying every other step you don't really use them anyway, Rift Crystals you get clicking on riftstones/opening some chests/when your pawns come back from helping people and they're not super useful other than for buying the stuff that's also on there(pawn inclination resets and character creation reset), Gaol key you can buy from shops and not entirely sure what it does(I guess if you get arrested by the guards it's useful but likely not necessary even for that).

In the end the only really kinda unique stuff is portcrystal, but unlike first game vanilla, you get port crystals in every city(not just the major ones, even the medium cities have them), you have Ox carts to taxi between places too and unless you know beforehand where you need to drop a crystal because you'll have to come back, it's hard to use. DD2 likely has less backtracking too so it's not an obvious case like with DD1 and going to the Shadowfort for sidequests 10times.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The save explains something I saw earlier. Watching a few minutes of random streamer cause I don't know anything about the game. He was trying to make an Inn save and it seemed like it was a huge pain in the ass and 10 plus minutes after he said he had to go before he could save and exit out.
I think the streamer might have been retarded? Saving at an inn is like, going to an inn and resting there, that's it. And Inn saves are more like backups on the side in case your autosave gets fucked, technically optional but you do want to do it every now and then. But you can log out anywhere and the autosave will let you pick up where you left off np.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is controller way better for this? I played the first DD for all of about 20 minutes. Deciding if I should plug my controller in or not. I prefer it for shit like Elden Ring/Dark Souls over M/KB, but apparently this isn't all that Soulslike?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Is controller way better for this? I played the first DD for all of about 20 minutes. Deciding if I should plug my controller in or not. I prefer it for shit like Elden Ring/Dark Souls over M/KB, but apparently this isn't all that Soulslike?

It's still a 3rd person action game like Souls/Elden Ring, so I would stick with a controller.

DD1 was one save only as well, so that's not surprising. Being unable to start a new game without manually deleting your saves sucks ass and needs to be corrected asap. The mtx are disappointing, but it's a single player game so they're easily ignored. I've only had a chance to play for less than an hour, so I haven't run into a city where the performance issues are supposed to be. Getting 90+ FPS on a 4080 super on almost maxed settings without RTX enabled.

I've liked what little I have played so far, the only annoyance was a random pawn walk up to me and tried to invite himself into my party.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Haha what the fuck. Can't start a new game/character from within the game? Heard reports and sure enough, had to turn off cloud save, figure out the ID of the game and delete the save from steam/userdata/2054970 to restart a new game. Sounds like this game is deserving of some of the negative reviews on steam.

Bug or on purpose?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's still a 3rd person action game like Souls/Elden Ring, so I would stick with a controller.

DD1 was one save only as well, so that's not surprising. Being unable to start a new game without manually deleting your saves sucks ass and needs to be corrected asap. The mtx are disappointing, but it's a single player game so they're easily ignored. I've only had a chance to play for less than an hour, so I haven't run into a city where the performance issues are supposed to be. Getting 90+ FPS on a 4080 super on almost maxed settings without RTX enabled.

I've liked what little I have played so far, the only annoyance was a random pawn walk up to me and tried to invite himself into my party.

Sorry. That was my drunk gaming pawn. He does that from time to time.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bug or on purpose?
On purpose. It just allows one save. The game auto saves all the time so maybe they are trying to prevent someone from starting a new game and auto saving over it on accident? I don’t know. They should just make a “delete current save and restart a new game” option at the start menu.

I’m not sure why it’s such a huge issue for people though? You can’t gimp your character, needing to restart doesn’t seem like it would be a thing you would need or want to do very often at all. Not defending them on it, they should have the option in game, but idk why you would give a negative review for something so little.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Didn't devs say no fast travel was a conscious decision in game design to make it more immersive or whatever? And now they're selling fast travel items? If so, lol.

As always, I'm the least eager person in the world because it usually pays off and I don't want to give assholes even my game pass ms reward bucks.

I'll wait to see how things shake out, but one red flag I'll look for is if general reviews and discussion start to focus more on attacking anyone critical instead of just defending the good aspects of the game.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't devs say no fast travel was a conscious decision in game design to make it more immersive or whatever? And now they're selling fast travel items? If so, lol.

As always, I'm the least eager person in the world because it usually pays off and I don't want to give assholes even my game pass ms reward bucks.

I'll wait to see how things shake out, but one red flag I'll look for is if general reviews and discussion start to focus more on attacking anyone critical instead of just defending the good aspects of the game.
It's one portal stone that you can buy with money if I read the rage correctly. You do get a lot of them (9?) just by playing the game so should not really be much of an outrage.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone playing this on Series X?
Yes. It plays just like DDDA did on Xbone and PS4, except in this there's very little need for fine aiming since even bow skills autotarget for you, and that was the major issue with the last game on consoles. 30 fps is definitely jarring after playing DA on PC just a few days ago at 120+ fps, but it doesn't bother me after a few minutes. Can't say I've noticed frame pacing issues or any problems in the city either. Certainly not anything that would make me consider allowing Denuvo to infect my PC instead.

It's one portal stone that you can buy with money if I read the rage correctly. You do get a lot of them (9?) just by playing the game so should not really be much of an outrage.
Every bit of the DLC is like that. It's all stuff you get in abundance and you would have to an idiot to spend actual money on it. A lot of that stuff (like the portcrystal) are things that were included in the deluxe preorder, which was also a waste of $10 over the standard edition. It's just a Japanese publisher thing I guess. SEGA and Bandai Namco do it too, usually even worse than this.

I’m not sure why it’s such a huge issue for people though? You can’t gimp your character, needing to restart doesn’t seem like it would be a thing you would need or want to do very often at all. Not defending them on it, they should have the option in game, but idk why you would give a negative review for something so little.
You kind of can, seeing as almost all the pre-release info about vocations switching stats was bullshit. There's definitely a large stat swing between leveling as thief or archer (lots of str) and leveling as mage or sorc (lots of mag). I can't figure out the stat growth though so even if someone was really OCD about making the perfect character than can do anything (which is basically what warfarer ends up being, at least for the Arisen) I don't think it would do much good to restart at this point since there's no concrete info available. It actually just looks random to me at this point. Some levels I'll get like 1 str and 8 mag on my mage pawn, others it'll be like 3 str and 4 mag. Thief and archer were the same on the arisen too. Occasionally I've even gotten more mag than str on those.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

I guess the problem isn't that they misled their fans by statements or assumptions that fast travel wasn't designed into the game as a feature and then launched with an item shop that included fast travel items.

The actual problem is those people confused or complaining aren't justified in their "outrage" because it's easy enough to rationalize the existence of the items and item shop as no big deal if you ignore the bigger context of the situation?

And looking through some user reviews. Yeah. It's a lot of negative reviews that focus on feedback and reactions to the game, and then most of the positive reviews are just seethe-coping about how the people with anything negative to say are personally evil, wrong or defective.

I'm mean, I'm not naive. I know exactly how the gaming industry came to suck hairy balls. I just don't like it or the people enabling it.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's all stuff you get in abundance and you would have to an idiot to spend actual money on it.

Ah, cool, so they burned good will and spent dev time and attention to implement unnecessary things that may make their customers feel like idiots. That's better than a meaningful pay to win shop.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Yeah that’s already happening. Defending the horrid optimization to the hilarious “We don’t want you to fast travel. Well, unless you pay us 2 bucks per, then we would love for you to fast travel!”

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well reports are that the camp stuff you can buy weigh less than ones you can find in the game (not sure that matters) but portal stones are rare?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not $2 per. Like I said above, they un-bundled all the stuff that came with the deluxe edition for whatever reason. You can buy one portcrystal if you really want it, but it's pretty pointless when there's no eternal ferrystone like in Dark Arisen and those are the actual limiting factor. If they were selling THAT item or even like a bundle of 20 ferrystones, I could see the outrage.

I don't disagree that the DLC list is stupid and shouldn't exist, but people seem to be losing their shit over it even more than they did with Like a Dragon IW selling NG+ (a shitty broken NG+ at that) as DLC. Which is just weird. Hell it's not even remotely as bad as other Capcom games. I don't recall anyone even mentioning RE4 DLC when it came out, but look at this shit:
1711119696052.png

Well reports are that the camp stuff you can buy weigh less than ones you can find in the game (not sure that matters) but portal stones are rare?
Pretty sure it's just a reskin of existing lightweight camping kits. From what I understand they weigh less but you might get ambushed while sleeping more. Biggest difference is that you can't get the lightweight ones super early and for at least your first 30 levels or so you'll be lugging around one that weighs 6kg. I just throw it on the fighter pawn and forget about it.

Last edited:

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't disagree that the DLC list is stupid and shouldn't exist, but people seem to be losing their shit over it even more than they did with Like a Dragon IW selling NG+ (a shitty broken NG+ at that) as DLC. Which is just weird. Hell it's not even remotely as bad as other Capcom games. I don't recall anyone even mentioning RE4 DLC when it came out, but look at this shit:

Sure, friend. Feel free to engage in a calm and rational discussion of the issue and not succumb to the outrage, perceived or otherwise.

Or please explain the relevance of providing a "yeah, but" defense of a practice you acknowledge is stupid and shouldn't exist. I'll try to hear you out and myself not losey shit or be outraged, but it seems like you're defending a practice you don't like because you perceive others as reacting in an outsized manner they are perceived to not have reacted to similarly in the past about other things.

Does categorizing some people (because clearly it's not all) as losing their shit make the issue any less stupid?

Is it not relevant to discuss or criticize this particular issue, with this game, at this time, because some other game at another time was worse?

I guess I'm confused by the modern societal theme of people not even being able to capably discuss one thing because another potentially irrelevant thing also existed. I'm generally more interested in the psychology of gaming and gamers than the games themselves, so if that's something one wants to discuss I'm game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users