Dragon's Dogma 2

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is it better to run through the vocations for stat growth, so after I hit level 10 in thief I should switch fighter/archer/mage, then level up each of the advanced ones 10 levels at a time?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Game runs well for me. Noticeable fps dip in towns. Didn’t buy any useless MTX, didn’t feel the need to change my appearance 5 minutes into the game.

Two thumbs up for me so far.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Nothing is rarely about what is done, but how and why. It seems a lot of long time fans and followers of the game aren't so upset about mtx existing necessarily, but that it seems like a bait and switch to the design philosophy and was kept secret.

Doubt most would be surprised or bothered if they just did the industry standard "it will exist but be cosmetic or incidental items" approach. But that doesn't seem to be how they approached it, and people are annoyed to pissed about it.

Pretty easy unforced error, too.
The design philosophy of a 12 year old game? A TON has changed about gaming and the space surrounding it in 12 years.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The design philosophy of a 12 year old game? A TON has changed about gaming and the space surrounding it in 12 years.

That's a pretty weak dismissal.

Fans of the franchise who have been listening to the stated design philosophy of the current game and team are now dismissed as irrelevant because the original game is 12 years old? Huh?

The current team apparently didn't seem to adequately express their intentions for things like cash shop items and a lot of fans of the game/franchise are upset, but it's the fault of those fans.... Because things change!

Ignoring that I acknowledge the current industry standard and focus on their communication or lack there of....

I don't even know what point you're trying to make. Please explain, unless you're just being contrarian for its own sake which is the most likely option.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
To the whole 'just don't buy it bro/you find it all in-game anyway' crowd:

The fact that the DLC exists poisons the well. They had the conversation about how to properly balance drop rates of these things at some point vs how much they would cost in the store, which means even if you personally don't buy the bullshit from the store it doesn't matter because it has already impacted and altered the way the game was made.

Stop being a bunch of fuckin sheep and bending over for this garbage just because you're bored and want a new shiny toy.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm

To all Dragon's Dogma 2 players

We would like to update you on the status of the following items, about which we have received numerous comments from the community. To all those looking forward to this game, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

■Crashes and bug fixes
We are investigating/fixing critical problems such as crashes and freezing.
We will be addressing crashes and bug fixes starting from those with the highest priority in patches in the near future.

■The option of starting a new game
We are looking at adding a feature to the Steam version of the game that will allow players that are already playing to restart the game. We will announce more details as soon as we can.

■Paid DLC
All the items listed below can be obtained in-game or as paid DLC items.
Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker
Wakestone - Restore the dead to life!
500 Rift Crystals / 1500 Rift Crystals / 2500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift
Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item

■Regarding Frame Rate
A large amount of CPU usage is allocated to each character and calculating the impact of their physical presence in various areas. In certain situations where numerous characters appear simultaneously, the CPU usage can be very high and may affect the frame rate. We are aware that in such situations, settings that reduce GPU load may currently have a limited effect; however, we are looking into ways to improve performance in the future.

The Dragon's Dogma 2 Team

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know why people are saying it was secret when almost every MTX being sold was part of the deluxe edition, and everyone knew what was included in that. Of course they were going to sell it separate after release. Shit, I was happy to learn that there was nothing actually useful in the deluxe version since it meant I didn't even have to think about spending the extra $10.

Also, Dragon's Dogma (2013) had a bunch of DLC. Did everyone just forget because it was all included with Dark Arisen? The stuff included with Dark Arisen wasn't trivial or useless shit either. A huge amount of the armor and weapons were grossly overpowered compared to stuff you had to earn, and it even came with the eternal ferrystone on top of all that (which kind of spoiled the whole experience, at least for people who weren't on their 5th playthrough by that time).

They had the conversation about how to properly balance drop rates of these things at some point vs how much they would cost in the store, which means even if you personally don't buy the bullshit from the store it doesn't matter because it has already impacted and altered the way the game was made.
What? None of that stuff is rare and 'drop rates' aren't even really a thing in DD2. Which is awesome because save scumming to get a 2% chest drop was super fucking gay in the first game. Some monsters do drop items (most notably, minotaurs in the early stages of the game) that seem to be random but that's about it.

Portcrystals are all found in fixed locations, the only difference is that if you buy one you'll have 10 instead of 9. Wakestones are everywhere and I already have more than I will ever use. The explorer tent is just access to something early, and doesn't really do anything besides save you a couple kg in your pack. Art of metamorphosis is 500RC, a completely trivial cost. RC in general is easy to get and there's not really even much to spend it on besides cosmetics and items to change you pawn's inclination. Only thing I'm not sure about is if that vendor restocks his items after a few days if you buy him out. Everything else on the DLC list is completely useless or so abundant that there's no point. Oh, and the soundtrack, which nobody seems to take issue with anyway.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Oh hey, something about the actual game instead of weird DLC drama...

Seems all player made pawns are tanks and mages. Hard to find thiefs and archers. I went sorcerer and it's pretty fun blowing shit up. Anyone know when the mystic archer quest happens in game?
Are you using the grand riftstone to search for your pawns? Using the random ones out in the field always seems to be a terrible selection and each one has 'special search parameters' that you can't change. I haven't had any trouble getting exactly what I want when I go back to Vernworth.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
They’re purposely making travel a pain in the ass so they can sell you teleport tokens. That is scumlord behavior and worthy of a hard pass.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My favorite argument is that the things a gaming corporation is doing as conscious business decisions are no big deal because they're actually pointless things to be doing.

Well, golly, they're just wasting time and resources on pointless business decisions and/or they don't even understand their own product or consumers?

Well that just instills so much confidence I'd like to just send them some of my money directly for being such a great company and give them every benefit of the doubt.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They’re purposely making travel a pain in the ass so they can sell you teleport tokens. That is scumlord behavior and worthy of a hard pass.

The counter argument is the game was developed independently of anything to do with such items and just decided to slap on a cash shop in at the last minute for the heck of it even though it's all pointless items of no advantage and gamers are at fault for not assuming that would happen even if it wasn't explicitly announced. Which, if true, might be a worse in my book.

Best thing I saw was the cash shop was necessary to fund servers for the pawn exchange. C'mon, bro, don't you care that Capcom makes enough to fund the very critical pawn exchange.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
What is the end game content in this version? I'm seeing people say it's just the basic NG+ and nothing like the Everfall exists?

Vorph

I'm guessing you didn't actually play Dragon's Dogma? No fast travel and then extremely limited fast travel once you start finding a few portcrystals and ferrystones here and there was always a core part of the design. It wasn't until Dark Arisen that they added the eternal ferrystone, and even then it was only given to people who had a save file from the base game on their PS3 or 360. They didn't want people who hadn't already fully explored the world on foot to have it, and it wasn't until the PS4/XB1/PC release that they gave it to everyone.

Also, what is being sold is a portcrystal; the thing you place on the ground to create a location to teleport to. The "tokens" are called ferrystones and they are almost exclusively found in out of the way and difficult to reach chests, and otherwise prohibitively expensive (10k gold) to buy. So much so that even though I have a non-DLC portcrystal I haven't even bothered placing it because there's no way in hell I'd waste a ferrystone this early in the game. And no, there's no eternal ferrystone at all in DD2.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Y'all are smoking some serious fucking copium if you think the rates of item acquisition in games is not designed entirely to accommodate the cash shops in these games

The money doesn't lie - it works, and it works so big it warps the entire world of gaming as a result

• 3Truth!
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not really - they purposefully made it a pain in the ass, just like the first game, because the most compelling content in the game comes from schlepping around the open world looking at every nook and cranny, dungeon diving, etc. Nothing is pointed out to you. There are no markers on the map like open-world RPG #1395. The entire point of the game is to wander around looking for shit.

So many neogaf opinions in this thread lmao

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
That's a pretty weak dismissal.

Fans of the franchise who have been listening to the stated design philosophy of the current game and team are now dismissed as irrelevant because the original game is 12 years old? Huh?

The current team apparently didn't seem to adequately express their intentions for things like cash shop items and a lot of fans of the game/franchise are upset, but it's the fault of those fans.... Because things change!

Ignoring that I acknowledge the current industry standard and focus on their communication or lack there of....

I don't even know what point you're trying to make. Please explain, unless you're just being contrarian for its own sake which is the most likely option.
I've already made the point: Paypigs don't give a fuck. Money talks and gamers keep getting fleeced or have enough disposable income that they don't care. We had a chance to stop all this shit in its tracks when Horse Armor started all this shit and we collectively told game studios to fuck us harder. And you're included in that, bucko. Despite your very virtuous stance on message boards.

It all boils down to the fact that you very much sound like somebody who just wants to cry and be mad. I'm doubting you've even played the game and are likely ripping your opinions from other whiners on Reddit/social media.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Y'all are smoking some serious fucking copium if you think the rates of item acquisition in games is not designed entirely to accommodate the cash shops in these games

The money doesn't lie - it works, and it works so big it warps the entire world of gaming as a result
In most games yes. The shit they’re selling, in this game specifically, drops in spades in the game. This specific game we are talking about right now, not every other fucking game where they design around trying to sell you shit. You end up with WAY more shit than you ever need without buying a thing. You fuckers aren’t even reading the multiple replies stating this, you’re applying other games shitty drop rate design philosophy to this one.

• 1Solidarity

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
What a bunch of whiney little bitches. Its a single player game. Who gives a fuck if the devs put up a cash shop. Buy it or ignore it. Play it or don't. Get a saved game editor and do whatever the hell you want with it.

I've been watching people play it and it seems to run pretty damn smooth, no bugs or issues or fps issues, so I'm dismissing all of that as just more whining.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1WTF

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Welp, guilty. My bad.

I had four people who all were in a VC, legit playing it while I was chilling out and this is what they were complaining about the most. They were saying there's apparently a tool to do it but I guess that's just the $1.99 thing they were talking about so I just assumed this was the case.

With that said: It's still a terrible implementation for a single player game to have these limitations.

Needless

Toe Sucker

■The option of starting a new game
We are looking at adding a feature to the Steam version of the game that will allow players that are already playing to restart the game. We will announce more details as soon as we can.

wait what hahaha can you not just start a new game at all? hahahaha this is actually insane

i didnt even notice this while loading the game:

1711146045526.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users