Dream Theater - Self titled album coming Sept. 24th

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Looks like a concept album. Their last one, Scenes From a Memory, is one of my favorite CDs. I can't wait.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/board_po...sting-revealed

From the Article_sl said:
Dream Theater's self-titled album - the band's 12th studio release overall, and fourth with Roadrunner Records - will be released September 24, and now you can check out the cover art and see the track listing below!

Says guitarist John Petrucci about Dream Theater, "I see every new album as an opportunity to start over. To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We've fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We're incredibly excited about Dream Theater and can't wait for everyone to hear it."

The nine-track disc was recorded at Cove City Studio in Glen Cove, Long Island, with guitarist Petrucci producing and Richard Chycki engineering and mixing. It's the band's second album with drummer Mike Mangini, and the first one on which he was a part of the writing process from Day One.

In January, Petrucci said of Mangini's work, "When people hear the drumming on this album, they're gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn't there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he's just Mike Mangini unleashed. It's all him. It's all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy's an animal."

The track listing for Dream Theater is as follows:

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE

i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream

2. THE ENEMY INSIDE

3. THE LOOKING GLASS

4. ENIGMA MACHINE

5. THE BIGGER PICTURE

6. BEHIND THE VEIL

7. SURRENDER TO REASON

8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE

9. ILLUMINATION THEORY

i. Paradoxe de la Lumi?re Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

Dream Theater will be on tour in Europe in January and February 2014, and in North America in March 2014.
full_DT.New.Cover.HR.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll get it, but I'm not hopeful. The last album was their worst by a good margin. Nothing really stood out and it was cheesy even by Dream Theater standards. If this album ends up being a bomb, I might have to retire and old love and concede to the fact that Mike Portnoy was the most important member of the band.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never understood why people like them, then again I always hated 80's rock.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They aren't really 80's rock, they're prog rock/metal and they do it pretty well. Their latest stuff has been terrible though. I can understand people for hating on the singer, but the band is incredibly talented both in writing and playing.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Calling them 80's rock is like comparing them to Poison... Completely different.

The singer is the weakest part of the band by far though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They remind me of Nevermore solely based on the fact that both singers are absolutely terrible for a band of such enormous talent.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll get it, but I'm not hopeful. The last album was their worst by a good margin. Nothing really stood out and it was cheesy even by Dream Theater standards. If this album ends up being a bomb, I might have to retire and old love and concede to the fact that Mike Portnoy was the most important member of the band.
I'd listen to ADToE a million times over before I listen to Falling Into Infinity. That was one of the most disappointing records ever, especially after the awesomeness of Images and Words and Awake. The person they've missed in that band is Kevin Moore.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Scenes from a Memory is my favorite DT album by far. Falling into Infinity isn't bad at all. There are a good number of songs on that album that have reached fan favorite status and are staples of lives shows - Trial of Tears, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, New Millennium. You Not Me is one of the worst DT songs ever though.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Personally, I thought A Dramatic Turn of Events was fantastic and I am fine with LaBrie. It wasn't that long ago everyone was hating on Portnoy's raps as the worst thing about the band. I guess this much emotion says something.
Looking forward to the new album to see what Mangini can bring to the table when fully involved.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Dramatic Turn of Events was better than anything from 6 degrees through Black Clouds. I don't know what you guys are smoking. Mike Portnoy moved the band into a direction that I didn't like and I was glad that they sorta went back to their roots with their last album.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've seen DT live a few times, and oddly enough I've never seen a song from FII performed by them. I must have been unlucky (or in my case lucky because I hate FII). I've seen at least one song from every other album. They even played A Fortune In Lies last time I saw them. THAT was funny because a lot of the crowd just kind of stood there and was like "is this a cover song or something"?

I'm looking forward to seeing if having Mangini involved in the writing process this time changes things.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Dramatic Turn of Events was better than anything from 6 degrees through Black Clouds. I don't know what you guys are smoking. Mike Portnoy moved the band into a direction that I didn't like and I was glad that they sorta went back to their roots with their last album.
Crazy talk! I really dislike the newest album. I like maybe two songs from it.

As mentioned in this thread, hopefully having Mangini a part of the writing process from the beginning makes for a better album. Bringing back another concept album is also promising.

Neph_sl

shitlord
They're doing mini behind the scenes YouTube vids. There really isn't much here (each ep is only 2.5 min and no sound clips from the new record), but there are little blips of knowledge like the existence of an instrumental song, live strings, a 20 minute epic song, and a bass solo.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I personally enjoyed Black Clouds. Dramatic Turn of Events was pretty shitty imo.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not too shabby! I think I like it more than every track that was on the last album.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Diggin' the new single a bunch. Still too much Rudess for my tastes (wtb kevin moore back in the band) and the Soundcloud compression is shitting all over the mix, but I have high hopes for this album.