Dream Theater - Self titled album coming Sept. 24th

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
Surprised no one has posted in here today. I am downloading the album right now. About halfway through listening and sounds pretty good so far.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've streamed it a few times on SoundCloud. Much better than the last album. I feel like this album is a bit more back to their roots. Some of it feels very Rush-like.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
You can hear parts of songs that ARE Rush. In Surrender to Reason there is a part that is almost exactly like By-Tor and the Snow Dog and the ending note sounds like the end of Chemistry.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I really like this album, probably my favorite one in recent memory. However, the endings to The Looking Glass and The Bigger Picture really bother me. Finished with the reprise? Okay, end it with a quick flourish.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The slow piano song blows and the worst moments are still brought to you by LaBrie. This is probably the best album in a while though. I dig most of it. Mangini really shows off some chops.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Seems to marry the more recent, heavier stuff with the 90's approach quite nicely. Maybe we wont see a ton of people asking for Awake to be re-made, yet again. I am still getting to grips with it but I agree that the piano is a little overdone and that LaBrie goes for some things that don't quite come off. Petrucci's riffing impressed me more than the solos and Mangini is putting in some real work. Portnoy who?

Neph_sl

shitlord
I disagree. On a Dramatic Turn of Events, yeah, Rudess's keys were pretty prominent. They just let him off the leash in that one. But this album definitely integrates his sound a lot better.

As for LaBrie, I'm always inclined to point fingers to vapid lyrics. They managed to write less cringeworthy lyrics this album though. But then again, I'm a big fan of LaBrie + acoustic guitar/piano backing (Silent Man, Spirit Carries On, etc).

@Alex which "slow piano song" are you referring to?

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I am just impressed I could hear Jon Myung. He had a great sound on this album

Neph_sl

shitlord
Different strokes I guess, I actually like that song (save the ending).

But yes, more Myung is always welcome. You knew that he was keeping up with everyone else before, but it's nice to be able to pick out his sound for once.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
After A Dramatic Turn of Events I was about to write Dream Theater off, but this is probably the best album since Scenes from a Memory. There's still too much Velveeta to fall in love with the album.

I've fully embraced Steven Wilson as my favorite nerdy prog artist these days. He can do no wrong.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
To me, they just sound like they're happier as a band without Portnoy's heavy-handed manner. The music is brighter, and more positive in feel to me. Petrucci is still my favorite guitarist out there. Period.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Agreed. They do sound happier overall.

They have a new DVD out. LaBrie sounds pretty fantastic. This is the best I've ever heard him