DualShock 3 problems

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone had a DS3 start to act up? Mine is currently pressing the d-pad on its own frequently enough to piss me off, and I think maybe the face buttons are doing it too, albeit much less often. Like I'll be playing Dark Souls and suddenly it swaps my weapon slots even though my thumb is on the stick. I noticed that if I shake the controller I can make it do it over and over. I've tried it wired and over Bluetooth, on both PS3 and PC, and it does it in all cases.

I assume the answer is to just go buy a new one, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else ran into this problem (especially if you were able to fix it by taking the controller apart). Google searches didn't turn up anything useful, which I thought was strange.

Wish PS3 support for the DS4 wasn't so shitty still, sigh. I'd much rather buy one of those and have it for when I finally get a PS4.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Haven't heard of that one. GameStop has new PS3 controllers on sale for $45 atm until like January 12th.

Vaclav

There's some Youtubes on how to fix the problem, they looked really annoying to do though - had the same issue and it self-resolved after not using that controller a while though oddly enough.

Seems to be that there's some high density foam inside the controller that can in some cases get compressed that all the fixes are basically adding more wadding in those spots. But does seem that ~6 weeks of not using it fixed my bad controller so you might be able to just swap out another controller as a temporary thing.

Vorph

Thanks, adding "foam" to my search for the problem came up with some hits that were actually relevant. Going to try doing what they suggest before I trek out to Gamestop in shitty weather and buy a new one.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

Sean_sl

shitlord
Wish PS3 support for the DS4 wasn't so shitty still, sigh. I'd much rather buy one of those and have it for when I finally get a PS4.
So far it's worked for all of my recently released games except GTAV.

Here's also some lists of games people have compiled so far that work:

List of known compatible PS3 games for the Dualshock 4 - NeoGAF

DualShock 4 Compatible PlayStation 3 Games - PlayStation 4 Wiki Guide - IGN

Are there any glaring omissions of games that don't work that prevent you from buying a DS4? It seems to work on most stuff.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Have you spilled anything inside the controller? This happened to my brother in law, he accidentally spilled soda and it hardened inside the button. You could try putting alcohol on a q-tip and rubbing it over the buttons then continually pushing them to work the alcohol in (unplugged and off, of course). Then let it dry out for a few minutes and try it.

Vorph

So far it's worked for all of my recently released games except GTAV.

Here's also some lists of games people have compiled so far that work:

List of known compatible PS3 games for the Dualshock 4 - NeoGAF

DualShock 4 Compatible PlayStation 3 Games - PlayStation 4 Wiki Guide - IGN

Are there any glaring omissions of games that don't work that prevent you from buying a DS4? It seems to work on most stuff.
Well, the fact that it doesn't work with GTA V makes me concerned about the games coming out this year; e.g. Lightning Returns. I would hate to buy a DS4 and run into a 2014 game it doesn't work with and then have to go buy a new DS3 too. Plus I do own GTA V and there is some story DLC coming out sooner or later that I will probably buy because I'm a sucker.

That's not the main issue though. My understanding it that it's not seen as an official licensed PS3 controller and so it doesn't work with Bluetooth (you have to plug it in all the time which goes against the current rule-of-thumb for Li-Ion batteries, and also fuck using wired controllers in 2014, I don't even do that on my PC), there's no rumble or motion controls, and the PS button does not work. I have a PS3 blu-ray remote so I could work around the lack of PS button, but the rest of that is a deal-breaker. Sony just needs to issue a new firmware that fully recognizes the DS4, it can't be that hard. There was a PS3 firmware update a couple days ago, but afaik it did nothing for controller support.

That said, I just finished reassembling my DS3 after putting some electrical tape on the foam pad and so far it is working properly again. Hopefully I can just go back to waiting for Sony to update the PS3 for full DS4 compatibility.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This seems like as good of a thread as any to ask a question I've been meaning to ask:

What's the best solution for a gamepad for the PC? I have a wireless (USB) PS3 dualshock Logitech thinger that I bought for my PS3 awhile back, and I've tried using it. It seems to work ok, but there are a couple of games where it has severe issues, and the base windows drivers and their calibration thing seem to be wonked. Like it seems to think the right stick is actually the six-axis thing, or whatever, I'm not sure. The end result is in a few applications (specifically the SEGA steam thing that I'd like to play Shining Force II on) just flat out don't work properly, with buttons doing random things and being completely unplayable.

I'm not averse to just buying something new if that's the best solution. But I can't figure out why some games will work fine, and some won't, and especially the weird right stick being six-axis thing.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I guess I need to qualify that it needs to be wireless capable. Is there a good solution for making an X360 controller wireless on a PC?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for Windows is what I use religiously, works well. A lot of games you play on PC recognize it right away and you'll see the instructions change to show the correct buttons if you use it.

There's a wireless version too.

Vorph

I use MotionInJoy with a USB Bluetooth dongle on my PC to connect my DS3. If the Logitech controller you have is an officially licensed controller, you could try using it with MiJ. You should also try x360ce since your problem could be that the games want XInput rather than DirectInput, and x360ce emulates that.

Otherwise there's three main options if you're buying a whole new controller (or if you already own a 360):

1. DS4, wired or Bluetooth, works great. I believe X360ce is required for XInput emulation. Not sure if MiJ works with it at all.
2. DS3, wired or Bluetooth. MiJ required for proper XInput emulation and for Bluetooth connectivity.
3. 360 controller. Nothing special required, other than a tolerance for bad design.
wink.png
You can either use the model specifically labeled "for Windows" or a standard one with the Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I did install MiJ but it's not very user friendly from what I can tell. I can't even tell if it recognizes my controller or not.

Mine is supposedly a Logitech DS3 controller. It has a Logitech badge on it, but strangely has the buttons labeled with Egyptian gobbledygook instead of the normal square, circle, x, triangle.

Vorph

MiJ.png

^ What my MiJ looks like (wired connection because it's charging). I find the simplest way to see if it's currently connected properly is to press the Vibration Testing button. If the rumble works, it's connected. If not, click Game Controller Panel and then Properties to try and troubleshoot from there.

As for getting the Bluetooth working, I just followed the stepshere. Be aware that MiJ fully takes over your BT dongle. You won't be able to connect your phone or any other devices to your PC without disabling the MiJ Bluetooth driver.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, where it says "Connected game controller(s)" mine just doesn't have one, says "awaiting connection" or something similar. Couldn't figure out a way to get it to recognize it.

Vorph

It's probably not compatible then. I'd suggest tryingx360cebut I don't think there's much hope of getting it to work wireless without MiJ support.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
K, sounds like I'll just buy an X360 controller "for windows" or whatever, if that works best. Makes sense, since they're both Microsoft.

What is it that you guys think is inferior about the X360 controller? It has the same functionality (other than six-axis tilt shit), right? Same number/usage of buttons/sticks?

Sean_sl

shitlord
K, sounds like I'll just buy an X360 controller "for windows" or whatever, if that works best. Makes sense, since they're both Microsoft.

What is it that you guys think is inferior about the X360 controller? It has the same functionality (other than six-axis tilt shit), right? Same number/usage of buttons/sticks?
The Deadzone on the X360 sticks (and the PS3 sticks) sucks balls, the DS4 doesn't have a Deadzone or it's pretty close to not having one anyways. The grip on the DS4 also feels quite a bit better. The DS4 just feels perfect when you hold it. Other than that the X360 controller is great and the best controller out there next to the DS4.

Renault

N00b
As someone who just built a new gaming rig I'll jump in here with a question too.

Other then obvious stuff like GTA what are the major games you guys prefer playing with a controller over KB/M on a computer?