Dune (2020)

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I want some Miles Teg, think that was his name. Man i remember him being so bawss.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yeah, but, if you follow the books the fremen don't remain super fantastic. They just have a complete monopoly on space oil/crack. You can't get it anywhere else. Which is silly, but w/e. Their rule isn't really any better, and Leto gets weird as fuck over the centuries that follow Paul.

The books have a huge bit about feminism and how the military is almost 100% female because of sociological findings about loyalty to the state trumping loyalty to the unit. Then you have the bene gesserit not-so-secretly guiding the fate of all of mankind with their gashes.

Depending on your political bent, you could do some really weird shit with the source material, and still be very true to it. Dune is megalomaniacal, eccentric, ornate, and incredibly relatable to current politics.

Siliconemelons

Dune... the story of a small party, and honest house in this big space drama... the bad guys are so evil and so bad for the entire galaxy! watch and grow with paul and his family as they fight to...

... be worse than what they fought haha

Dosnt one of them become the worm and they kill all other worms so it/he is THE ONLY spice and he becomes huge and trancends time..or ...something

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dune... the story of a small party, and honest house in this big space drama... the bad guys are so evil and so bad for the entire galaxy! watch and grow with paul and his family as they fight to...

... be worse than what they fought haha

Dosnt one of them become the worm and they kill all other worms so it/he is THE ONLY spice and he becomes huge and trancends time..or ...something
Yes, that's the fourth book. The series got really weird.

spronk

FPS noob

Leto Atreides (Paul's son) gets much better at being able to see the future and sees a future in which humanity is extinguished because they are unable to escape other beings with prescience. So he does what his father was unwilling to do, Leto sacrifices his life / happiness to "forge" humanity over 5000 years into something new, through cruelty and vast oppression. The idea being that he first breeds for a specific ability to be invisible to those who can "see" beyond normal sight (like him), but more importantly treat people so cruelly that when they do escape his yoke they will explode out into the universe, not just across space and time but even across dimensions as a sort of bottled up rage that is let loose after thousands of years. Herbert based this idea off civilizations, those that conquer become cruel and lazy and those they conquer become stronger and eventually rise up and start the cycle anew.

Its really fascinating stuff but SO weird and complicated and so much left unexplained by Herbert that its both fascinating and almost impossible to really follow all the threads he sets up over a few books. It gets so weird in the last two books he wrote with the weird matriarchs who came from the outer edges of the galaxy where something completely changed them, what the tlelaixu become, that one dude who suffered so much pain he like transcended physical abilities, etc.

Whatever you do though don't read the new books his son wrote, there are like 15 or something of them and they are really, really bad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

And that is why anything "Dune" will never get past what we got with Dune and Children of Dune - no one wants to accept reality that, the oppressed become the oppressors and generally worse - i mean he literally jihads 3/4?ths of the galaxy to assure they all align to the proper religion and nothing but that survive (all because he thinks / sees that this is "the only way" for them to survive)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And that is why anything "Dune" will never get past what we got with Dune and Children of Dune - no one wants to accept reality that, the oppressed become the oppressors and generally worse - i mean he literally jihads 3/4?ths of the galaxy to assure they all align to the proper religion and nothing but that survive (all because he thinks / sees that this is "the only way" for them to survive)

It's supposed to be a hard pill to swallow that the, "Golden Path" in all its monstrosity was the only way that Humanity would not go extinct after X amount of time. That Paul was unable to put himself through it because he loved Chani and wanted to die a man. That his son took up the mantle instead.

But it does make for some hard TV/Films to sell ya know!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
God Emperor of Dune is the best book in the series and perhaps the best sci fi book of all time. The ideas in that book are incredibly important and increasingly relevant.

I am basically only interested in seeing a film translation of that book. I wish they would skip the less important earlier books and go right there. Instead theyll start with Dune and do a halfass version of Dune + Children, again.

God Emperor would be an amazing movie.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I mean, not even Paul got the emperor's throne by peaceful negotiations in the first book ...

The new books are much more generic, the prequels and history were both kinda serviceable, but I even read the "official ending" and holy shit seeing machines (they are scattered throughout the universe at the end of the first Jihad) and humans hold hands together at the end was some of the weirdest endings I've ever read. The only puzzling thing is that apparently Chapterhouse sets up for that with the last pages being a conversation between an old man and his wife, unclear where or when ...

I think I'll have to read them all, since for example my memory of God Emperor is that fuckall happened until like the last few chapters, but then again I read it when I was like 13.

The books are the shit, but the ideas are really hard to transfer to screen unless you get a bunch of famed actors giving exposition while wearing fancy costumes.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
but I even read the "official ending" and holy shit seeing machines (they are scattered throughout the universe at the end of the first Jihad) and humans hold hands together at the end was some of the weirdest endings I've ever read.

Where is this from ? I don't seem to remember this from Chapterhouse Dune.

The old man and his wife were
highly evolved, even transcendent, Tleiaxu Face Dancers.

• 1Solidarity

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Where is this from ? I don't seem to remember this from Chapterhouse Dune.

The old man and his wife were
highly evolved, even transcendent, Tleiaxu Face Dancers.
It's from the new ones written by the son and it basically ties up the whole Jihad with the "lived happily ever after", which kind of makes sense and it's hard to give another ending to a saga that span millenia and eons, but it didn't really need one.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
That director's take on Dune as 'Star Wars for adults' is about as far the fuck away from what Dune is as you can possibly be. Like read the damn books, man. All 4 million pages. Then tell me it is some kind of adult space opera with fancy do gooders and shiny princesses.

That comparison triggers me. I am triggered.

the first one is a joseph campbell style hero's journey, all the rest of them try to explain when that hero fantasy turns bad though is what i'd say.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've got one son, we named him Paul. My wife thinks that he is named after St. Paul. She is mistaken.

Tried to talk her into letting me name him Duncan Idaho but that didn't work out.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

My last name is Stigler and I told me ex I want my kid named Dirk after Dirk Nowitzki

• 1Worf