Dungeon Defenders

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For Gogu, it's obvious why he quit after putting so many hours into it, but I asked over on Reddit what's up.

I ask, because it seems most I talk to, have 500+ hours into the game, like they played it like crazy, but now hate the game.

Was there a specific point that Trendy screwed it all up? or did people just seriously get burned out on it?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
They stopped development of the MOBA version, DD2 is going to be a proper sequel to the original.
I've got just short of 400 hours in this game, 3D arcade combat combined with tower defense is just so awesome.

velk

Trakanon Raider
For Gogu, it's obvious why he quit after putting so many hours into it, but I asked over on Reddit what's up.

I ask, because it seems most I talk to, have 500+ hours into the game, like they played it like crazy, but now hate the game.

Was there a specific point that Trendy screwed it all up? or did people just seriously get burned out on it?
It's just mmo style burnout. They got sick of it, realized their time was "wasted", and now hate themselves for playing it.

Trendy made quite a few balancing mistakes with invalidating previous content tiers or having some maps with huge advantages, making the rest sort of useless. They also implemented the worst PvP map of any game ever, but the amount of stuff they did for the game was unprecedented, even in games with monthly subs. They are probably the most concrete example of what happens when you actually put the money you make back into the game.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am shocked that no big company has stolen the formula and made a big budget version. This game was amazing. Really nailed the balance of TD/Action/Diablo style.

I quit when Aquanos was the newest level. Right before the summoner class dropped. My characters were pretty badass at the time. Played on XBox initially until seeing just how few fucks they gave about that version. Fired it up the other day and all my characters/money were stripped by some bug. Doesn't matter, version is still shit. Towers are too weak and upgrading them does nothing.

Crone

I got into the game from the summer sale and started playing with friends and we were up to level 22 or something just doing the campaign and then one late night I got into a tavern defense game and hit level 74. Blew me away. I should have known there was a trick to leveling if you had a high level. Cool story brah!

But as said, there are a ton of maps, but really lab assault for gear and tavern defense for experience are the only ones that matter.

Sure running aquanos on nmhc on survival will start dropping trans and maybe ultimate around wave 20 but it won't be that many pieces. Compared to lab assault where I can emulate the 360 controller and load 4 into the game, and let that loot pour in. It's all shit for the most part, but makes good mana.

That being said I'm having a lot of fun with it 80 hours in. If anyone wants to come back for something chill to do, hit me up and I'll help gear and level.

Crone

Summoner is actually one of the most powerful classes they have. Reason is because their Minion Units don't take away from the Defense Units you can have on any given map.

So you can have 120 Minion Units, and 120 Defense Units, or whatever the map cap is. And their archers are one of the few defenses that can shoot 360 degrees around them.

I'm usually on every night, but west coast, and late. Hope we can meet up soon Hatorade!

On a different note, I ran into some retarded shit last night. First time I've seen it, but some dude was major hacking in Ranked play. I expect it in Open where it's like old school Diablo where the game files are on your computer, but this was ranked.

Dude was using monk auras, and his auras would cover the entire map, and be completely OP. He was also able to bypass the build phase wait period. He was going through Tavern Defense NMHC campaign, 8 levels, in 4 minutes or so. I was curious, and so I asked him about it, and he turned into an internet tough guy, and wanted to sell me his secrets for $100. F him!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BTW this was my finest accomplishment in the game.

CE0lyBH.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Haha, Series EV's are great for apparently more than just buff beams.
smile.png

Bo Jackson_sl

shitlord
Anyone see this dd eternity that came out on steam? Does it include the dlc already, or is it just a refresh of the first game basically? Not sure if I want to waste time on it with the 2nd one approaching.

Black Sun Wizard

Silver Knight of the Realm
I too have recently started playing this and boy it's addicting. The hacked open play is cool, but gets old. I think I'll try the ranked online.

Eternity seems like a rehash of just the first version but online only. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Crone

It looks to be online only, because those offline hacks you speak of for sure do exist in the Ranked play as well. So that's kind of nice, and some of the UI looks a little different, but for the most part, it seems to be just another DLC.

It has new maps to play, and that's about it from what I can tell.

I've slowed my playtime down quite a bit, in the last week with family in town, and realizing I don't even know what I'm chasing. I want better gear, but don't know how to get it, and the maps are boring to me at my current gear levels where I either stomp Insane, or get wrecked on Nightmare. Need a mentor or something to show me the ropes? lol

I'm west coast, and play in the evenings. If you want some power level to get your guy to 74+ to wear some better armor and try out the classes, hit me up on Steam.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I too have recently started playing this and boy it's addicting. The hacked open play is cool, but gets old. I think I'll try the ranked online.

Eternity seems like a rehash of just the first version but online only. Not quite sure what to make of it.
Eternity is a HD version of the mobile game AKA total money grab.

Crone

So DD2 is a total flop it seems, even after spending 2 years in Early Access, it's now turned into a total cash grab from skins, however the original DD, has been opened up to Steam Workshop. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but the reviews seem to say that the player base now keeps this thing going through the Workshop.

Seriously considering loading this up again, because it was so fun the first time around.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My main gripe with the first one was the constant updates and balance changes. You'd grind a week to max out your gear and then they release a new level with trash drops better than fully upgraded shit that literally took days to farm for.

Crone

My main gripe with the first one was the constant updates and balance changes. You'd grind a week to max out your gear and then they release a new level with trash drops better than fully upgraded shit that literally took days to farm for.
Wait is trendy or blizzard making this game? Haha

I got into the first one pretty late so I didn't experience this that much. But I did experience the basiclly 3 levels is all you would do for drops. One for drops. One for exp grinding.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I really, really liked the original game early on but eventually I wasn't allowed to put down any of my own turrets. I was playing a huntress and the amount of build points I'd be allowed to use was zero. Then the game turned into a mega grind.

I tried it again later on. I bought the DLC that had the Jester thinking it sounded cool getting random turrets but having the special ability to be able to move turrets around. Maps would be about trying to optimize what you got randomly. At level one I had an Ogre (whatever the big thing was) come out of a box. The other boxes I had placed didn't really spawn much. There was only a chance of getting a turret I guess? I tried doing some missions with other people and got instantly kicked from every single mission that was going until some super high levels took pity on me and let me stay. I went from level 1 to level 70 something in like ten minutes and couldn't even do the part of the game that I wanted to do. I just wanted to play some tower defense.

Dungeon Defenders still remains an enigma to me. It was aggressively preventing me from even playing it.

Crone

I really, really liked the original game early on but eventually I wasn't allowed to put down any of my own turrets. I was playing a huntress and the amount of build points I'd be allowed to use was zero. Then the game turned into a mega grind.

I tried it again later on. I bought the DLC that had the Jester thinking it sounded cool getting random turrets but having the special ability to be able to move turrets around. Maps would be about trying to optimize what you got randomly. At level one I had an Ogre (whatever the big thing was) come out of a box. The other boxes I had placed didn't really spawn much. There was only a chance of getting a turret I guess? I tried doing some missions with other people and got instantly kicked from every single mission that was going until some super high levels took pity on me and let me stay. I went from level 1 to level 70 something in like ten minutes and couldn't even do the part of the game that I wanted to do. I just wanted to play some tower defense.

Dungeon Defenders still remains an enigma to me. It was aggressively preventing me from even playing it.
Lol. That's about how my first experience went. Was grinding hard and up to like level 22. Then got into a game with higher levels and just shot up. Had a lot of fun from that point on learning all the maps and best way to beat them. As a Monk it worked out pretty well to leech until I had hit 100.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I loved DD/DD2, but so many complaints are correct.

It is made by Trendy and I have no idea what their end game goal is/was but it certainly is not long term money or a good game. I would seriously pay the 15$ or whatever we pay to standard MMOs for a seriously good Action TD game. I LOVE the idea of DD and in many ways it was a good game.

I will not go in to the bitch fest of details as to why both DD and DD2 are a complete and sad fuck up, but I can sum it up in a few simple points.

1.) Complete lack of connection to players. Again I could list out 50 details of this but basically I have no idea what they are doing. Even if you ignore that the game will never be a blockbuster with 10+ million subs like WoW they could make 10 changes that would get them a solid player base of 250k. They flat out either refuse or are incapable, we will never know because they do not communicate to the player base outside of patch notes or lame random comments. The concept of the game and heroes from the ground up is shit, so when they build it becomes a shit pile. But seriously it could be turned around so easy. I am NOT an armchair developer. But I do know business and I do love TDs and it seems they suck ass at business and are decent at TDs but must have some creative dickbag blocking forward progress or they are just flat out retarded or have a 1 man team who can't keep up.

2.) I'm not sure how much this hurt them though personally I believe it was the dumbest fucking business decision they could have made as a small game studio.....but their first rendition of DD2 was meant to be a MOBA. I remember playing it at PAX. I am not a HUGE gamer but whatever. I get to PAX and find out DD2 has a stand. Sweet tits, I love DD. I go over and demo and it's a fully playable, and obscenely shitty, MOBA. So my guess is other than some engine/art asset work the entire phase making DD2 was a waste. So what we are seeing now is a 3-4 year alpha phase while they figure out how to tap back into the original idea that really lured people in and salvage what they put time in to.

However both points above highlight, in my opinion, why we will never see a DD game from Trendy worth shit. Company direction or management. Even in DD1, with all the bitching about gear resets and shit(which was bad but whatever) they could have made a few simple improvements and stopped doing that and had a killer fucking game, though granted for a small niche audience(maybe to grow?) Instead they ignored people, fucked up new shit and then put all development into a MOBA thinking, like everyone, they could cash in on the new cow, all ignoring the fact DOTA had it on lockdown except for the freak outlier of LoL. How many MOBAs have we all played? I've tried at least 10 as I love that genre, but a shitty game with no population does not a MOBA make.

Insert DD2. Basically better graphics than DD1, slightly better controls(yet ironically worse in some areas as you can sense the engine was meant for MOBA), and otherwise worse on all levels. Literally. I wish I were exaggerating because again, I loved what DD1 wanted to be and would pay for it. If someone wants specifics I can post a non-subjective post comparing DD1/DD2 and let you know....save your money.

All that being said I already paid my 15$ and truth be told it's probably worth it. I've spent 15$ on way worse shit on steam or shit that I have way less "hours played", but I'm not sure that is a testament to DD2, more so that I just really like TD games. I personally wouldn't give Trendy another fucking dime unless I saw a post about new management or something and if they get a serious competitor it would be good money. I'm not talking retire for life 500$ million cash, but a solid game company of 10 people could make a DD competitor and fucking burn them out of the market and everyone would make 120$k a year.

TLDR: Fuck Trendy and DD