Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (STEAM!)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Released a couple days ago. Both the old arcade beat-em-up classics with online multiplayer and HD graphics scaling. Price is a touch money-grabby at 15$, but I've spent 15$ on waaaaay worse things.

Also works flawlessly with Xbox controllers and arcade sticks. Had a complete nostalgia bomb until like 3am with it last night and my old SSF4 stick.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I put a shit load of quarters into this game. I'll be getting it .

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Must be a nostalgia thing. That trailer didn't do anything for me.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Must be a nostalgia thing. That trailer didn't do anything for me.
if you never played them you pretty much missed 2 of the best arcade games EVER. holy shit the money me and my friends have wasted on them

i remember when me and a friend found Tower of doom at our local arcade. We played it joining a game started by other 2 players and got up to the dragon's lair / Beholder maze choice. At the time we were almost out of coins so when the game kept telling us "this choice is fucking dungerous. dont be crazy" we took the maze choice and promised to come back and do it with 2 more friends. So 2 days later we organized this 4 nerds joint play. Consider we were pretty much new, with just 2 of us having actually played it once. So, we struggled a lot and wasted a lot of coins in stupid deads, but kept going hoping to finish it. We finally reach and dragon/beholder fork and we decide to go for it. I'll never forget the "oh fuck" face of my friends when that fucking huge thing flew on the screen. The very first thing it did was.....firebreath us all to death. We laughed like idiots. God that fight was brutal

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
hmm, 15 bucks to maybe play it with other people online, or 0 bucks to just fire it up on MAME again. I will admit that the ancient red dragon in Tower of Doom was fucking amazing and probably one of the biggest quarter siphons in the history of arcade games.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never had the arcade budget to ever play it too much (parents hated me doing the arcades - so they'd always give me my allowance completely away from when I'd hit the mall until I was driving myself but never saw this machine once I was driving anymore [lived in the boonies though]) but loved the little bit I screwed with it with the $1-2 at a time I had back in the day, grabbing this for the wife and I soonish.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Are people playing this game online so other people can join? A little hesitant buying this if I'm going to be playing by myself. ;x

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks a bit like Golden Axe, me thinks. What's the word?
What's the word? The word is they are 17 and 20 year old arcade games respectively. Unless you're asking about the PC ports, but I doubt many people here are going to bite the bullet on the 15 dollar price tag when MAME is free.

If you just mean the games themselves, I think fucker isn't too far off saying they're two of the best arcade games ever, I'd definitely place them in the top ten. I'd say they play a bit like a slightly more modern Golden Axe, yeah.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's Golden Axe on super steroids. And yes the multiplayer is active; you can join a public game in seconds all hours of the day.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
What's the word? The word is they are 17 and 20 year old arcade games respectively. Unless you're asking about the PC ports, but I doubt many people here are going to bite the bullet on the 15 dollar price tag when MAME is free.

If you just mean the games themselves, I think fucker isn't too far off saying they're two of the best arcade games ever, I'd definitely place them in the top ten. I'd say they play a bit like a slightly more modern Golden Axe, yeah.
I'd bite the $15 bullet in an instant for full fledged multiplayer (I guess 2 players was the max?) Golden Axe on steam. I'd even bite the $150 bullet to play Steam-MP Double Dragon (I guess maybe that was originally a NES game not arcade? Fuck me I'm too old for this shit). Or anything I ever had to shed 2 quarters for or play on my old NES with people. I'd totally pay 1,500 bucks for that beach volleyball game I used to play with my friends on my NES. I can't remember the title. I know it had a rocket launcher sound and a big "KABOOOOOM" effect when you managed a good "smash".

I'm not even sure that's the proper volleyball term forjumping like a gazelle next-and-up-to the net and hitting the arch-like-trajectory-traveling ball in a forceful and decidedly downward direction and-also-sending-whoever-tried-to-catch-that-smash-flying-like-a-crumpet-fresh-out-of-the-toaster. But yeah. I'd totally pay $15,000 for a steam multiplayer copy of that too.

Sulrn

Deuces
Here I thought ToD was going to be doomed to a subpar EMU. This is the first remake I feel I can endorse. Can't wait to finish this trip and pull the trigger.

Szlia

They were released on Sega Saturn too and it was so 2D intensive that you had to have a video memory extension cartridge to play!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Man, I'm completely shocked that there are people thatdidn'tplay the shit out of these games growing up. Once more local arcade closed the best part about going to Six Flags was that I could play Tower of Doom there.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Man, I'm completely shocked that there are people thatdidn'tplay the shit out of these games growing up. Once more local arcade closed the best part about going to Six Flags was that I could play Tower of Doom there.
Welcome to being old 8)

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've spent a good portion of my life in arcades back in the day and I've never seen this game.