Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
also still how the fuck are pallys so OP
They aren't, he's just twice their level. Paladins have spent most of their DnD existence either being essentially impossible to play (absurd stat requirements before 3rd edition) or being notably underpowered compared to other melee builds.

And boy do I ever regret looking up their official stats, lvl 15 wizard losing to a group of lvl 5s? wtf

*edit*

Apparently for 5th edition Wizards separated the active counter function of dispel magic into a separate spell called Counterspell and since the power level of the spell you're trying to counter only slightly matters, it's not impossible for Simon to have countered her timestop, and it would be typical of Edgin's colossally stupid fucking plans to bet all of their lives on Simon winning a roll that would be somewhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5. But after seeing him effortlessly shrug off a 40D6 meteor with a lvl 1 shield spell, why wouldn't you bet everything on Simon?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
psh. 5e paladins will consistently do the highest nova damage of any other class hands down. because of how their smite works and interacts with crits. blade warlocks have the closest chance of catching up to them, but eldritch smite doesn't work the same as paladin smites. a 17th level fighter can also throw down a TON of damage in a single round depending on if they have a strong weapon, and including action surge, but they can only do that twice before a short rest at that level. which is still significant, don't get me wrong.

slight tangent, i feel like people underestimate fighters in 5e. casters always come across as godly, especially at high level where they are throwing around reality warping magic, but there is a limit to how many spells they can cast. a high level fighter can attack 4-6 times per round EVERY round ALL day long. even with just a regular old longsword, that's still potentially at least 4d8+12 (assuming a 16 str, which there's no reason for a fighter to have 16 str at lvl 17). what's more likely is a 2 hander with great weapon master and a 20 strength, and now it becomes 8d6+60 (also assuming they hit, which they wont always, but a caster won't always hit and will often only hit for half damage from a resisted spell)

paladin smites can be used with every attack they make, and you can decide to smite when the attack hits so you don't use up a spell slot on a missed attack, unlike wizards who if they miss, they just wasted a spell slot. warlocks can chose to eldritch smite on an attack, as well, but eldritch smite costs a bonus action to "activate" so they can only ever do it once per round, and never on opportunity attacks. on top of that, at certain levels, paladins start auto-smiting. their base attacks just start doing extra d8's of radiant damage, not to mention that their smites (base AND spellslot versions) do extra damage against undead and they'll start doing anywhere between 2d8 and 9d8 damage PER ATTACK depending on spellslot level and whether or not they are fighting undead ON TOP of their weapon damage and whether or not they have great weapon master. now you crit and double that. this is one of the reasons why paladins multiclass so well with sorcerer because you get spell slots a lot faster, AND can use sorcery points to refresh smiteslots and your party will be lucky if there's anything left when you're done.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They aren't, he's just twice their level. Paladins have spent most of their DnD existence either being essentially impossible to play (absurd stat requirements before 3rd edition) or being notably underpowered compared to other melee builds.

And boy do I ever regret looking up their official stats, lvl 15 wizard losing to a group of lvl 5s? wtf

*edit*

Apparently for 5th edition Wizards separated the active counter function of dispel magic into a separate spell called Counterspell and since the power level of the spell you're trying to counter only slightly matters, it's not impossible for Simon to have countered her timestop, and it would be typical of Edgin's colossally stupid fucking plans to bet all of their lives on Simon winning a roll that would be somewhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5. But after seeing him effortlessly shrug off a 40D6 meteor with a lvl 1 shield spell, why wouldn't you bet everything on Simon?
well, obviously there are problems with this. for one, meteor and timestop are 9th level spells. a wizard will ONLY ever get 1 9th level spell and not until 17th level, so the red wizard chick shouldn't have ANY 9th level spells at level 15. maybe she's got some special item that lets her cast meteor and timestop, for example, if she had scrolls for those spells she technically COULD be able to cast them but only after a successful skill check. also, meteor is a spell save, so casting shield would have no effect on it. meteor swarm has a 40foot RADIUS which is huge, so there's no army rolling out of it from where they were, yes technically a rogue with evasion could take NO damage from it, but you don't get evasion until lvl 7, and there weren't any rogues there so the point is moot. at 20d6 bludgeoning damage (which the barbarian can mitigate if she's raging) and 20d6 fire damage (which the barbarian can NOT mitigate, unless she's a bear totem barbarian which i think she isn't, she's a berserker, right?) unless the wizard rolled EXCEEDINGLY low, she'd kill a party of lvl 5's even if they saved. the average damage of a meteor swarm is 140 (half if you saved) and the barbarian is the only one who has any chance of surviving that depending on what her con score is.

however...

nerds GIF

the lvl 5 versions of them, i think are just for players to roleplay as them, their actual official stats are for lvl 15-17. i didn't look at all of them, edgin is lvl 17, doric is lvl 16, etc. also it's not entirely accurate as it doesn't have them listed as a certain level, because that's not how creature statblocks work. edgin has 101 hp (17d8+34). so, 17 hit dice and +2 con for 17 levels equals +34. but as one of the reddit comments theorizes, edgin must be a bard from the school of kabong, since he just hits everything with his reinforced lute and in the books, he NEVER casts any spells despite having access to a handful in his statblock. simon also has 3 attacks as a sorcerer for some reason.

anyway...

/nerd

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 4 users

Goatface

During an interview with GamesRadar+, Pine revealed he’s optimistic there will be a sequel to the hit fantasy flick. “I've heard some rumors about it,” he said of a potential sequel. “But I don't know anything yet. But I feel pretty confident that it may happen.” Asked if he would be happy to return, he replied: “Absolutely.”

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

That means it made at least enough money and streaming views to not outright get rejected out of hand at least

I recall some other interview that mentioned it would potentially happen, although at a lower budget

Fadaar

That guy
This movie and BG3 have done more to help D&D than WOTC could ever hope to

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users