DUSK

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Game officially came out a few days ago and it's a low-poly homage to games like Quake 1 / Hexen with a sprinkle of HL1. There's even some nods to the Thief series and Stephan Weyte the voice actor for Caleb from BLOOD did some work on it too. Haven't tried the deathmatch multiplayer yet but their also appears to be a Dark Souls type invasion systems you can opt into as well in the episodes. $16 on PC and coming to Switch later.

The OST is straight fire too. I don't think Hulshult couldn't have leaned any harder into the Q1 sound.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The OST is straight fire too.

Wat8.jpg

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Visuals look like 1996 first gen 3d.... oh god no. why would you do that? retro pixel games at least have a reason to exist, with grid based gameplay systems. where in the pixel art, reinforces the grid, hitboxes, etc.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't get the purpose of this. If you want to live out some nostalgia by playing some old-ass looking FPS games, you can just play those actual games with the benefit of decades of really nice mods to enhance the experience. It's not like they can possibly match or beat the gameplay, so what is this bringing to the table?

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Level design/ gameplay is really good. Made only by one guy with unity engine, an already ugly engine. If you can get past the "retro" look, it's a must try.

Last edited:

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
While most of us were nerding out about Diablo and x-wing vs tie fighter, the kid who super into Quake was always an odd duck

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd expect to see more low-poly throwbacks in the future as it is going on 25 years old and is no different then the bevy of indie pixel platformers. It's simply an aesthetic that some people are looking to expand on now that hardware limitations aren't the problem and I'd love to see what directions people can take it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You can't compare pixel art and old style 3d graphics. Pixel art can be made to look good by adding increased pixel density and a large colour palette and still be pixel art. Old shitty 3d with added fidelity just brings it into being modern 3d.

That just leaves new gameplay mechanics and level design to bring to the table along with the old 3d aesthetic, but that was available anyways through an endless supply of mods for the old games. I'm sure people who are still into the old style will check something like this out, but they're going to gravitate back to the classics due to the extensive amount of stuff available through them.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can't compare pixel art and old style 3d graphics. Pixel art can be made to look good by adding increased pixel density and a large colour palette and still be pixel art. Old shitty 3d with added fidelity just brings it into being modern 3d.

That just leaves new gameplay mechanics and level design to bring to the table along with the old 3d aesthetic, but that was available anyways through an endless supply of mods for the old games. I'm sure people who are still into the old style will check something like this out, but they're going to gravitate back to the classics due to the extensive amount of stuff available through them.

Sure I can when it's an aesthetic choice, not every game has HD pixel art and some chose to keep it that way. Low-poly like various forms of pixel art is about being reductionist, not every pixel artist operates high pixel counts. While the argument of "made to look good" is completely subjective to taste as well. Modding is also hit or miss and dependent on generations at this point, not everyone wants to work with a dated engine and someone may enjoy a retro look but want to reproduce it with more modern tools. I get you "don't see the point" but you're at the "Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong." stance now.

kevincheese

Lord Nagafen Raider
The endless whining about the graphics is hilarious. You can tone it down a bit.

I'm on my second playthrough of this game, and it's actually a freaking blast. Great level design, solid mechanics, and the first game I've ever seen let you do a 360 vertical flip in first person.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The endless whining about the graphics is hilarious. You can tone it down a bit.

I'm on my second playthrough of this game, and it's actually a freaking blast. Great level design, solid mechanics, and the first game I've ever seen let you do a 360 vertical flip in first person.

Who is whining about the graphics?