Dwarf Fortress

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can be eaten as well, if I remember correctly. I think one form of processing will result in getting seeds back as well, but I can’t remember which one. Been a long time since I’ve played.
whatever I did fucked this up. I think I ran out of seeds.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I kind of enjoy how this game doesn't have an apparent tech tree to climb. "What workshop do you want to build??? There are 50 choices!!! Great, we can build that Armorsmith. You can't do shit with it, are you a sky-loving moron??"

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I kind of enjoy how this game doesn't have an apparent tech tree to climb. "What workshop do you want to build??? There are 50 choices!!! Great, we can build that Armorsmith. You can't do shit with it, are you a sky-loving moron??"
*tree-loving moron

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
*tree-loving moron
I tried to find a list of racial slurs used by dwarves in different fantasy settings and all I could find is articles telling me that racism against dwarves is wrong.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One of my favorite things is how the UI straight lies to you about your stocks. Unless you make a dwarf be your bookkeeper so they are correct.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Book keeper will vanish for six months then be a legendary nerd with perfect accounts

Burns

I tried to find a list of racial slurs used by dwarves in different fantasy settings and all I could find is articles telling me that racism against dwarves is wrong.
Anything elf related is the biggest slander in Dwarfdom and bound to go in the Book of Grudges!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I ended up grabbing this the other day and on my third fort now (didn't play either of the first 2 for long, wasn't happy with how I built) i'm only getting child migrants... The first 2 (I think it's been only 2) waves have been exclusively children altho apparently a couple adults snuck in somewhere. I'm looking at 10 adults and 14 children right now and it's making it... unpleasant... trying to get all the work done.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
all right so I'm trying to set up a fairly basic production of high-value goods. I don't know if this makes sense from a metagaming perspective and I don't really even care.

I'm trying to make steel, copper, silver etc amulets and then encrust them with high value gems, hoping the end result will be more valuable than unencrusted goods or just cut gems. Again, I don't know if this makes sense. I'm doing this by having a specific stockpile for amulets that my Jeweler's Workshop is configured to draw from, so they don't encrust garbage.

The issue I'm having is that amulets aren't being hauled out of my Metalsmith's Forge into the stockpile. They're just sitting in the forge where they can't be utilized. Wut do?

Here's my stockpile settings

1696187904227.png

Here's my dumbass metalsmith's forge
1696187948103.png

and here's my crafting area

1696187991228.png

where 1 is the forge, 2 is the storage area and 3 is the jeweler's workshop. All those dumbass amulets scattered on the ground are because I read someone fixed this issue by destroying their workshop. Didn't work and nobody is hauling those amulets to where they go.

I've got this poor bastard set to haul only. He's hauling things and then taking breaks intermittently.

1696188077591.png

Chris

Potato del Grande
1696187904227.png

First tab is the category of items, you have only Finished Goods selected. This is correct.

Second tab is the quality/material of the items, it seems like you have all materials and qualities turned off. I think that this is the problem, you need to turn them all on.

Third tab is the type of item, you have only Amulets selected. This is also correct.

If Dwarves won't haul something it means that either hauling isn't enabled or you fucked up the workshop/stockpile settings.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Second tab is the quality/material of the items, it seems like you have all materials and qualities turned off. I think that this is the problem, you need to turn them all on.
Bingo, thanks! I wrongly assumed those different filters were OR operations, which would be dumb now that I'm thinking about it more.

1696193403071.png

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Bingo, thanks! I wrongly assumed those different filters were OR operations, which would be dumb now that I'm thinking about it more.

View attachment 493096
Not sure if it works in the new version, but Obsidian used to be great for crafts as it had a high value. It's FUN to extract it too.

I always try and embark near lava tubes.

Burns

all right so I'm trying to set up a fairly basic production of high-value goods. I don't know if this makes sense from a metagaming perspective and I don't really even care.

I'm trying to make steel, copper, silver etc amulets and then encrust them with high value gems, hoping the end result will be more valuable than unencrusted goods or just cut gems. Again, I don't know if this makes sense. I'm doing this by having a specific stockpile for amulets that my Jeweler's Workshop is configured to draw from, so they don't encrust garbage.

The issue I'm having is that amulets aren't being hauled out of my Metalsmith's Forge into the stockpile. They're just sitting in the forge where they can't be utilized. Wut do?

Here's my stockpile settings

View attachment 493083

Here's my dumbass metalsmith's forge
View attachment 493085

and here's my crafting area

View attachment 493086

where 1 is the forge, 2 is the storage area and 3 is the jeweler's workshop. All those dumbass amulets scattered on the ground are because I read someone fixed this issue by destroying their workshop. Didn't work and nobody is hauling those amulets to where they go.

I've got this poor bastard set to haul only. He's hauling things and then taking breaks intermittently.

View attachment 493087
Steel...for amulets?!? Are you trying to impress them lily livered elves or something?!? Every Dwarf should have a full suit of steel armor and at least 1 steel weapon!!!

P.S. This is not actually the "meta." Small gear spoiler, if you want it: Different armor [worn weight] affects dwarf move speed, until they get their armor skill up. Plate is slow, but chain is hardly noticeable, usually. You probably want to set up at least 1 squad of 10 dwarves in good armor and weapons. Different weapons are better at different things.

Light spoiler on weapon/squad types: I mixed and matched my squads, with roughly 3 hammers, 3 axes, 2 spears, and 2 xbows but some people make 1 squad of Hammer dwarves, 1 squad of Axe dwarves, 1 squad of spear dwarves, and 1 squad of crossbows, eventually.

Light spoiler on setting up military crafting: Weapon/Armor smithing is slow, but worthwhile. You can assign one dwarf to a station, then make them only make weapons to practice weapon smithing and have a separate station that has a different dwarf only doing armor (if you have enough dwarves).

• 1Like