Dwarf Fortress

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is there much point to trade if you can be self sufficient? Doesn't it influence migration?

Murdering the first few trade delegations then farming the revenge invasion for loot sounds fun.

Goonsquad Officer
A big draw of traders is "trash collection". They will buy the hodge podge of goblin weapons from invader armies. They will also buy stone trinkets crafted by legendary crafter or legendary food for piles of raw material. If your wealth feels too high you can also just give them stuff. While it sounds ordinary to buy things. Some times a shipment will have a metric assload of logs that are, work wise way faster to have one dwarf craft a masterful mug and trade it for lots of logs which would take many times the labor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So when I started on my map with my current game, I didn't see any goblins close by at all. But now that I'm 1.5 years in, I look at the overworld map and there's literally a fuckton of Goblins around me.

So I'm thinking about walling off (or just locking hatches over?) my starting stairs and adding a long, snaking entry tunnel to make any would be attackers run a gauntlet of traps.

Am I correct in believing that standard traps will NOT be set off by friendlies? The following wikis say they do not.

I guess I'd have to 'unlock' an entrance for caravans but that doesn't seem like too big of an issue.

• 1Worf

Goonsquad Officer
So when I started on my map with my current game, I didn't see any goblins close by at all. But now that I'm 1.5 years in, I look at the overworld map and there's literally a fuckton of Goblins around me.

So I'm thinking about walling off (or just locking hatches over?) my starting stairs and adding a long, snaking entry tunnel to make any would be attackers run a gauntlet of traps.

Am I correct in believing that standard traps will NOT be set off by friendlies? The following wikis say they do not.

I guess I'd have to 'unlock' an entrance for caravans but that doesn't seem like too big of an issue.

Yea traps ignore friendlies. I want to say they even fire off on berserk dwarves. But human traders "scout them" and know them in the event of war. Humans are tricksie.

Draw bridges are invulnerable. Doors are not. Make a 3 by (whatever) gate for wagon traders out of a draw bridge. Maybe a 1 x 1 bridge for your gauntlet. Massive monsters will swat aside doors and barge past but will not be able to get by draw bridges.

On traps the spinning blade trap is mighty. You can even make it out of glass. But it creates piles of body parts which are each a job to dispose of. Spike balls are blunt and leave whole corpses so easy clean up. Stonefall take the longest to clean and re arm

Traps

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can also smush things with draw bridges.
Oh it's all coming back to me now...

I made a chamber once lined with draw bridges to smash invaders.

Next iteration was the same but they were down by default and I raised them to fling invaders into a deep pit to slowly bleed out or fight surviving beasts from previous incidents.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If I remember correctly, there was an old LP that had a bridge called “the atomizer” because apparently nothing survives under a drawbridge.

Oh so that's what the atom smasher is?

1671635183833.png

AdolescentComposedKiwi-size_restricted.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Draw bridges also tend to be a source of the "Dwarven child X has gone missing." if you aren't careful.

Personally, I don't like using tactics that are too cheesy. Only through glorious combat can one prove themselves to armok. I rarely go beyond siege weapons and normal trap usage. Things like Mincart cannons and lava flamethrowers I'm perfectly okay with, as they feel sufficiently dwarfy without being OP like atom smashers can be.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I started building a tavern. Almost immediately I had a human bard show up, followed by a macedwarf. Neat.

Then a Goblin Criminal showed up, too.

He's just chillin in the Taven and his text says he just came here to relax. Should I be concerned?

Also, is there a way to prioritize the hauling off of dead bodies and corpses? I've tried setting up both garbage dumps AND stockpiles for corpses and I still have all these fucking raven corpses lying around everywhere and I don't know what else to fucking do with them.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Drop them in lava

Turns out the issue was in Labor -> Standing Orders -> Refuse and dumping

For whatever reason the gather remains and refuse were all off, so no one would move anything. Not sure why that would be off as a default

So I kept getting negative thoughts from people wading through all the dead ravens, squirrels, echidnas, etc

As soon as I turned those toggles on, I had a line of dwarves dragging remains towards the dumps I had set up....and then they just went right on past the dumps and promptly started putting everything in the same square in a river nearby.

I'd also had an issue with fucking undead ravens kicking my ass on previous starts, so now I'm wondering if there had been some random raven corpses sitting on the ground until they came back as undead?

FFS

• 1Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Turns out the issue was in Labor -> Standing Orders -> Refuse and dumping

For whatever reason the gather remains and refuse were all off, so no one would move anything. Not sure why that would be off as a default

So I kept getting negative thoughts from people wading through all the dead ravens, squirrels, echidnas, etc

As soon as I turned those toggles on, I had a line of dwarves dragging remains towards the dumps I had set up....and then they just went right on past the dumps and promptly started putting everything in the same square in a river nearby.

I'd also had an issue with fucking undead ravens kicking my ass on previous starts, so now I'm wondering if there had been some random raven corpses sitting on the ground until they came back as undead?

FFS

If I remember right, if you have like a nightmarish or creepy kind of surroundings in your start location, then yeah, I think can get zombie corpses and skeletons and shit. Not sure what they look like in the Steam UI, but those surroundings would be colored purple of some sort.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I haven't seen anything like that, I don't think.

But on the weird front, the children have just been killing the zombie ravens. It's bizarre. Previous games, no squad could touch them (as if flyers are harder to hit or something?). In this game, 3 of 4 kids that randomly showed up with their dad have killed more of the zombie ravens than any of my squadded adults have (with the exception of one guy who has also killed a number of them). And I've been sending a squad up to the ravens as soon as I see them.

Even weirder, people started having negative thoughts again, but this time the message kept saying "raven head". I looked around, couldn't find it. But then I see 'raven head' in the citizens/others menu. Click to center on it to find where it's at...and it's up in a fucking tree.

It's a literal zombie raven HEAD stuck up in a tree, but I guess every dwarf can see it.

1671684669269.png

1671684540295.png

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Seems like a reanimation biome of some sort. Most of the time it's just a nuisance, as your dwarves can wreck a lot of the small annoying stuff like ravens. One of your yaks coming back to life will be an existential threat to your whole fortress though. Time to start forging the silver warhammers.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
man if they improve the ui (really it's fine just needs to be more efficient and have higher quality of life) this game would be so good

There just needs to be better lists for quick finding skills and what not when you get up into the 100s of dwarves.

PS You can pre assigned a squad uniform with a specific weapon type and when you go to add dwarves it will show you which dwarves have profiency in that weapon. Life saver for my military organization. Shouldn't be that hard though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Haven't played the new version, but did long ago. I do remember having issues with getting rid of all the skeletons and the dwarves didn't like it and would just shut down. Obviously a mistake on my part.

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't embark on evil biomes as a newbie, you will be attacked by undead crows constantly. They fly right over your walls, horrify your dwarves and infect them with the Undeath rot. This is true of all versions of the game.

As a newbie, adjust the population cap in Game Settings down way low, to maybe 7 your first year (your starting crew), 10 or 15 next year, maybe 20 if things are going well after that. I've been strictly micro-managing population and disallowing visitors (also known as werewolves and vampires). Any tavern or temple I build is set to Citizens Only. It's just not worth the risk to allow a single vampire into your fortress.

Whenever my home city says, "Hey, you should be a barony!" we say, "Nah, we're good, we're a small agrarian commune." And just focus on food and drink production while securing oneself entirely from the infinite dangers of this mad world. You may have to live like filthly hobbits for twenty years before your food stores are survivalist enough to do some serious mining. Having been traumatized by many starvation and thirst-death fortress failures before, I probably over-compensate on food stores, but I am not happy without at least thousands upon thousands of units of prepared food and drink plus a working well and hospital with soap before I even think about caverns.

The new version has major differences from the old one. A couple big differences I've noticed:

* Burrows no long really work. I used to be able to set an Alert Burrow or Siege Burrow to have everyone except military hide underground in safe areas and continue tasks while military dealt with threat. Now even Dwarven children ignore burrows and will venture far afield to retrieve useless stones even during an attack. The only way to deal with it seems to be drawbridges, levers, and locked doors, while micro-managing squad positions.

* Doors no longer can be set to forbid or allow animals. This is good, to reduce lag. It is bad, in that whenever you get say 20 new turkey poults, and you want to assign them to a cage, once they get reassigned, they are no longer in their current burrow. So they just run wild. So like all your haulers have to spend days chasing down poults and putting them in their cages. Also goes for kittens and puppies and piglets. Some will even exit the fortress and run across a map and a Dwarven child will run across the map to chase down a kitten. And encounter a wolverine or something. Madness. What I should do is relocated the animal pens beyond a subterranean drawbridge, but that's a lot of work early days. Now, I can probably do it.

* Not only goblins attack. I have been repeatedly attacked by random human bandits until I built wooden block walls around our foraging area and mined the entrance with war-dogs and cage-traps. And hide behind a drawbridge, so nobody can get in or out except once a year we open up for the hometown trading caravan. While they are there with their guards, that's the only time we rush out and clear-cut neighboring trees and brng them inside to make charcoal and beds.

* Evicting temper-tantrum dwarves: could be wrong, but don't believe this was possible before. But if there's an adult who is constantly unhappy and throws temper tantrums, tney can be dangerous to the fort. They will get into fights and maybe kill someone. I think it's better to evict them from the fortress than rely on the shaky and erratic Dwarvish justice system which sometimes beats to death someone who violated some idiot Mayor's commands but ignores murderers. In my current fort, I have a 17-year-old female dwarf teenager, so she is still a child and cannot be evicted or ordered slain. She started killing at about age fourteen and has murdered three dwarves and multiple animals before I figured out how to confine her to a burrow and lock her in. She strangled them to death in the tavern or the hallways. An absolute demon child. As soon as she is 18, we will evict her or execute her. She "constantly seethes with inner rage after being caught in a rainstorm." We need umbrellas! :eek:

* I can no longer use trainers, hacks, or cheat codes! :eek: It's made me a more honest player :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there much point to trade if you can be self sufficient? Doesn't it influence migration?

Murdering the first few trade delegations then farming the revenge invasion for loot sounds fun.
You're probably not as self-sufficient as you think you are. You probably can't make steel right away, so buying steel anvils and melting them down to make steel armor is helpful in early years. You will run out of seeds, probably, unless you set your farm and kitchen and still up correctly. You will want finished musical instruments that are cumbersome for your fortress to make on its own, which will make dwarves happier in temples and taverns. And you will want a market for all the useless crafts your dwarves should make, because they get unhappy if they don't make crafts. And what good are fifty dogbone amulets except for trading for steel anvils?

• 1Like