Eador-Genesis and upcoming Eador-Masters of the Broken World TBS Old school GOOD

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Eador - Genesis, I searched and did not find this game mentioned here. It may have been back at FoH but I never saw it. I found out about Eador - Genesis on the Warlock MotA message board. I torrented it first to make sure it was good and in like 2 minutes deleted torrent and data and bought it fromhttp://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesisimmediately. It is a TBS in the vein of Heroes of Might and Magic 2 plus some of 3 as far as the graphics, battles and city building go and so many other great games. The city building offers a lot more options though as you have a lot more building types to use. The cities are the main hubs for building but you also can build on each province(provinces are sections of the map that you move one at a time). You can also upgrade buildings in the main cities as well as the provinces. You can build 1 building per turn per area.

You select a main character at the beginning of the campaign that can be a Mage, Warrior, Archer type or Commander. They are all what you think they are. The commander in this case gets more leadership so they can have a larger army than the other types of leaders. You can fully gear out your main character with armor, weapons and jewelry. Your main character levels up as well as all of your army people. There are quite a few choices when leveling with the main character less so with the regular troops but still enough to make it interesting. Some of the leveling choices are stat based with an extra passive boon like +1 to your level 1 spellbook and +10% experience.

The heroes spell book is divided amongst level 1 through 4. You start off only able to memorize 2 to 4 level 1 spells and unlock more spell spots per spell level and higher level spell spots through experience, gear and other such things. When you start you may have 3 spell choices in your town to memorize. Lets say you have Magic Missile (does 8 damage is affected by mobs resistance not armor and caster's spell power), Summon Skeleton (summons and undead minion from an enemy or friend who died in current battle to fight for you until end of battle) or Fatigue (reduces enemies current stamina by 5 and is affected by caster's spell power) these are all spell book level 1 spells. If you have 4 spots to memorize spells in your book because you picked Mage as your hero class then you can select any combination of these spells to fill out the book. I took two magic missiles and one each of the other spells. When you use the spells in combat they are gone until the end of combat, hence the reason to take more than one of the spells you deem the best.

The main map is similar to Rome Total War and that type of game. The exception is you only move to one new open area or town etc per turn. This doesn't detract at all from the game and you just have to play to see how it works. The tutorial is pretty solid when you start a new campaign and the game is fairly simple to understand and play. When you move to any area you usually have a battle coming. You can always choose to retreat or fight and often also choose to negotiate. When you finish that combat you then take over that piece of the map. Next you have a multitude of choices. You can move again taking more land. You can build if you took a town/city or even just a province of plains or anything as I said before. You also may have uncovered a tomb or other building that possibly holds loot, quests, a fight, all of these or more etc. You can explore and when you do you either uncover more buildings or hotspots or simply clear a percentage of that land. I have no played super extensively but I explored my first major city 4 times and found buildings with mobs twice and explored 5% of the area the other two times. I am pretty sure you get something per tile, city of otherwise when you have explored 100%. There is more to what you can do per turn you just need to jump in and play the game.

Combat is hex tile, turn-based just like Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3. You have your mix of healers, mages, ranged damage dealers, melee etc in the usual style. One team on one side the other team opposite. All combatants have a mix of stats such as counter-attack, melee damage, range(the distance you can shoot arrows/sling stones/wand bolts etc), ammunition(the amount of stones/arrows etc you have before running out. If you have a speed of 2 on your slingers, you can move two spots if no tough terrain, you could move one spot through easy terrain and sling a rock at someone, you could use both move points to move one spot into tough terrain like a forest for a bonus to range defense, you could go on a hill for more range on your sling stones and more damage, you might have unlocked a skill from leveling like doubleshot and you use that, you could forage for more ammo since you use rocks etc. All units in combat can level up and gain additional passive and active stats/abilities etc. The main hero has three options to choose from on level up whereas the troops generally have 2 unless they are getting a specific skill at that level in which case its automatically allocated with no choice.

Eador - Genesis is again the game that is out now. It was made by Snowbird Games which is a Russian indie developer. It combines gameplay and theory from Heroes of Might and Magic to Rome Total War and that series to Master of Magic to Crusader Kings 2 to Civilization to Galactic Civilizations to Kings Bounty etc and so forth. The graphics are a bit old school but have charm and I don't think detract in any way from how awesome this game really is. I would give this game a solid 9.0 on a scale of 1 to 10 with great replayability. If you like TBS with depth and personality then this is the game you have been wanting to play. Everything is a good time from the music to that feeling of "one more turn". There is campaign, single and multiplayer. The only weird thing I ran into is the seeming lack of anything but an autosave system which is a pretty big deal. The save system they do have in place does work well and actually causes difficulty because the choices you make can be huge and game changing. I know this might sound like a deal breaker to some folks but try the game, you will be happy you did without the set save system in place.

Here is the summary by GOG :
Eador - Genesis

What's cool about it:

The critically acclaimed indie TBS inspired by classic strategy games, now available for the first time in English.
A balanced fusion of grand strategy, turn-based tactics, and RPG elements.
Over 170 buildings, 80 spells, and 70 units available that can be used in any combination.

Overview:

Eador is a universe made of countless shards of land drifting in the Great Nothing. Each of the shards is a little world unto itself, with geography and citizens of its own. The power over the shards is bitterly contested by Masters, the immortal beings mortals believe to be gods.

Take the role of a mighty Master and shape the destiny of Eador, on land and within the astral plane itself. Explore the land and rule provinces as you see fit, defend them, and keep the populace in line or they may rebel. Choose from thousands of items--swords, spells, weapons, armor, and more--to outfit the heroes you recruit so they may best meet any challenge. Keep your heroes healthy and they will grow stronger as they gain experience from battle. Forge alliances and engage in the delicate art of diplomacy as you negotiate trade agreements or wage war against a mutual foe. Eador with its many wonders and adventures awaits, will you answer the call?

Again the link to GOG ishttp://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis.

Try this wonderful game, you won't be dissapointed.

P.S. if anyone wants to try the game first and is willing to buy it if they like it I can share a link although I imagine most folks can find them for themselves...

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
The new game from this company coming out is Eador - Masters of the Broken World. It it supposed to come out Q1 2013 so anytime now. It may have been pushed back a bit but they are beta testing away and have been for a bit. This game looks to be a fantastic sequel and plans are to make a sequel to this one. They are planning up to 6 player multiplayer and adding new shard types to combat the way it was in Genesis. Here is a link to the web page and the faq in particularhttp://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/faq/?lang=en. This game is greenlit on steam so that is probably the best place to purchase. Here is a link to the steam page with videohttp://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=93959913. The graphics are leaps better in this new Eador as well as a bunch of added depth to a game with a ton of it already. This is the game I am most looking forward to now after playing Genesis for both single and multiplayer action.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
It doesn't need 3d video card to play, right ? I really needed something to play on my old laptop, so thank you, this look really great.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here are the specs from GOG :
Minimum system requirements: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, 1 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9.0c, Mouse, Keyboard.

Unfortunately it doesn't look good for what you need Wamphyr sorry. Its a really fun game maybe its wrong and somehow will work. Here's to hoping and if you get it to work, you are more than welcome.

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
This is one of the ones I voted for on Greenlight. Thanks for the info as I didn't realize they had an older one, will have to pick it up!

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Looks pretty exciting. I'll shamefacedly admit that the graphics are a turn-off for me, but i've been waiting for these kinds of mechanics for a while now. For $6 I'm pretty sure I'll download it tonight and give it a whirl. The graphics for the next one look more than acceptable to me too, so if I like the first one I'll buy the second on release.

Assuming I get the chance to try this out over the weekend I'll post back and let others know how I liked it.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Well, i am not a shill, and I really liked it. It actually works on my laptop, the graphics are nice, except of course the battle graphics (no animation, what the fuck ?). It seems a very complex game, a gamer's game if you will.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
The game is pretty damn complex and fun. The incredible thing is it seems like it was made from top to bottom by one guy!! I currently have campaigns going for all character types and have to say that the ranger is the most fun for me so far. The warrior is just dominant and pretty unfair once you have decent armor. You can basically start the warrior off doing battles solo for crazy experience and pretty much a level per fight for the first 5 or so. He just goes in and slaughters everything between hitting hard and counter-attacking every melee hit per round. It does depend on the difficulty level you play. I am playing the ranger at the second highest difficulty. I actually started kiting things once I hit 3 in speed and it got much easier with the slow spell. When I first started playing whenever I would use spells they were damage spells. I realized pretty quickly how good the control effect spells can be, specifically when you are fighting much harder, non-ranged mobs. My ranger was kiting some serious baddies around with the slow spell in fights where prior to battle my character in the background of the screen where you chose "Fight, Retreat, Negotiate etc" that we had no chance to win. Anyone have any interesting strategies or anything cool they found etc?

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, i am not a shill, and I really liked it. It actually works on my laptop, the graphics are nice, except of course the battle graphics (no animation, what the fuck ?). It seems a very complex game, a gamer's game if you will.
Nice, I was bummed when I was posting those specs for the game. I am glad to hear you are able to play it and are enjoying it as well.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am bumping this as the new game in the series Eador: Masters of the Broken World came out yesterday April 19. I have played this for several hours and its very good. The graphics are much upgraded, there is a lot more of the same but with quite a bit more depth. I pre-ordered and it gave me a copy of the first one in the series Eador: Genesis for free, oh this was on Steam by the way. The game cost me 19.99 and is very, very well worth it. The first game gave me a good amount of playtime in the past and the new one will give quite a bit more. The tactical map is like the Total War series, the battles are like King's Bounty in that you have a single hero that casts spells, melee's and ranged attacks(you can equip both a melee and a ranged weapon at the same time in the case of my wizard he has a staff for melee and a wand for ranged; you can swap between the weapons in combat as long as you have both equipped). You also have single troop types instead of like in HoMM where you have increasing amounts of troops. Leadership gets you more spaces to put troops. Troop slots are ranged between level 1 through 5 which you unlock by getting more of the command/leadership statistic. The battles as I said are just like King's Bounty with quite a bit of HoMM thrown in. You build up your town by constructing buildings each turn as long as you have the resources. The buildings give troop types, increase population growth, increase resources(mandrakes, gold, gems etc), can enable rituals which are generally spells cast on your hero and his troops that are instant and/or have duration. When you are in town you can explore the town which unlocks different shrines, stores, mob dens and numerous other things. When you hit 100% explored in a town you usually get some sort of bonus. You also can buy weapons and armor from a store in town once you have built it. There are multiple buildings that contribute more items available in the store. You can build a library and other buildings to increase the amount of spells you can choose from. The spell system is like the troop system in that you have 1 to 5 spaces per levels 1 to 5 to put spells into. You can put any spell into a level 5 spot whereas you can only put level 1 spells in the level 1 slot.

Classes of hero are Warrior, Commander, Scout and Wizard. All heroes and troops gain experience and get bonuses to choose from at level up. The hero gets 3 choices of skills (the skills are very similar to HoMM 3/4) to choose from at level up. The hero also gets a randomly chosen but weighted towards your class bonus at each level. This is exactly like King's Bounty where you get leadership, magic or might automatic bonuses at level up. If you are a Wizard then your automatic bonus at level up will lean towards spell/magic bonuses which unlock higher tiers of magic slots in your spell book and the like. If you are a Commander you will generally unlock at level up better tier slots for troops. The weighting towards what you get at level up is similar to King's Bounty which is if you are a mage at level up you have a 60% chance to get intelligence(or whatever the main magic stat is) then like 20% chance to get leadership and 20% to get melee type bonus. Troop get bonuses at level up, you end up with 2 choices per level which include, 1 to 2 hit points, defense, counterattack, resistances and so on.

The game is really good and a huge experience to get for just 19.99. If you liked Master of Magic, the HoMM series(excluding the last 2 horrible titles of course), King's Bounty and so on you will get a lot of enjoyment out of Eador: Masters of the Broken World. There is a lot to do in the game, you could spend 10+ hours on the tutorial if you want to 100% explore each town and province. You could also rip through the tutorial by completing the tasks and quests put forth by your teacher in the case of the Wizard class anyways. There is a lot more to this game than what I have written here. If you want to know anything more about the game, I will answer any questions that I can. I have played roughly 6 hours and plan to put in a lot more time this weekend. If you like turned based strategy with some fairly strong rpg elements, you would be making a big mistake not giving this game a chance.

Here are a few links:
Review:http://greenlitgaming.com/eador-mast...-world-review/
I wanted to post something said in the review too because its pretty telling about the game.
From GreenlitGaming
Summary:

+ Incredible scope and size. You could play for days on end.

+ Strategic elements of the game work very well, especially at the macro level.

+ Excellent writing and dialogue. Always witty, always creative.

+ The vistas, worlds, and environments are all imaginatively inspired and beautiful.

- Combat feels out of sync. Animations, audio, and damage effects are often awkward.

- Construction tree extremely confusing.

- Gauging combat difficultly is occasionally unclear

Final Verdict: Eador: Masters of the Broken World has more content than any other game released on Greenlight thus far, and even manages to surpass some AAA games with regards to delivering on a large-scale strategy experience. Definitely worth the purchase.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The old Eador looked bad in terms of graphics but had deep gameplay, from what I've experienced of it (which admittedly isn't much). The new one seems to function, gameplay wise, very similarly to the old game, but the graphics are much nicer.

If you want to try it cheap, try the old Eador, and then if you like the gameplay, go ahead and upgrade to the new game.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
The new game is cheap as it is. $20 dollars for a game this complex, huge and extremely good is a bargain. I would go so far as to say for TBS(with a good amount of RPG development) lovers honestly won't find anything better regardless of the price. The game has more depth than the first game and that is saying a ton since the first one had crazy depth. I really don't go crazy over graphics, they are generally a big leg up when good to great but not nearly the same amount of a step down if not so good or even bad. This new game takes everything great about the first one, adds really nice graphics, more macro management if you want to use it, gear, troops etc. I would just play the new one without going back to play Genesis. Genesis is good but Masters of the Broken World is much better. There are a couple knocks against it concerning the pace of combat and the similarity to Genesis (in terms of using everything from the original). The game is $20 bucks from an indie developer with a really small team. They are going to use everything they already have that worked. I don't see taking everything from a good, fun original game in the sequel as a bad thing. Masters of the Broken World might not invent the wheel here but its a helluva lot of fun and a mistake to pass up. There is so much more to this game than I have even mentioned here like the astral system, the shards etc.

Here is a link to an interview which really gives you a good idea of what all this game is about. It will astound you how much there is here, its honestly ridiculous.
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/eador...-interview.htm

I realize how much of a shill I am coming off as. I just really like the game series and Snowbird Games. They are really small, totally indie and need the support. I can't think of a better place to try and help them as a huge fan than posting it on Rerolled.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
yeah I usually buy a game if it looks even remotely interesting and was made by a small studio or a one or two or three man team.

Its definitely a solid title for the price, I was just generally saying if someone was on the fence and wanted to get their feet wet before diving in for the total 20 dollar new title, they could get a feel for what they're getting for 5 bucks on GOG.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I definitely was not trying to say you were wrong just saying the new one was a bargain. If graphics are a concern to people they are better off going for the new one as it is a huge bargain as well. 5 bucks for the first one though is like less than a penny an hour you could get out of it which is crazy hehe. Sorry if I came across negatively towards your post, it was not my intention whatsoever. Glad you dig the game, if you want to do multiplayer let me know.

Shaod

Trakanon Raider
I got this on Steam on recommendation from this thread. I'm a few hours in now and I'm very impressed. The gameplay is great and it's incredibly well polished (I don't know why but I didn't expect it to be).

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the writeups Rease, I'm gonna check this out.

....get their feet wet before diving in for the total 20 dollar new title, they could get a feel for what they're getting for 5 bucks on GOG.
I love the state of PC gaming. (not sarcastic)

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
Definitely try the earlier version before you buy the newer game. I have a few hours put into the game and so far it seems like a 1 dimensional HoMM copy. Except for a few instances of Russian? humor, the story and gameplay are pretty bland. I plan on working to beat the second area to see if the game gets deeper as you play but so far I recommend that if you get the itch to play a game of this type you find yourself a copy of HoMM 3.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
So is the new one that just came out a remake with a different GUI and better graphics but the exact same story/gameplay?