Ebenezer (2026)

jayrebb

Ssraeszha Raider
16,704
16,509
Depp s schtick only works in cases where hes playing a character you don't already know.

He always plays the same weird, creepy, awkward thing. It works for novel characters like Edward Scissorhands or Jack Sparrow.

It doesnt work when he signs up to play an existing character because he still plays that same weird creepy awkward thing instead of playing this character as it exists already.

Love A Christmas Carol, but I'm skeptical.

He was fine in Black Mass and didn't play weird awkward, although maybe some creep factor.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Silver Baronet of the Realm
7,156
11,464
Depp s schtick only works in cases where hes playing a character you don't already know.

He always plays the same weird, creepy, awkward thing. It works for novel characters like Edward Scissorhands or Jack Sparrow.

It doesnt work when he signs up to play an existing character because he still plays that same weird creepy awkward thing instead of playing this character as it exists already.

Love A Christmas Carol, but I'm skeptical.
Hollywood has already put various spins on this tail. They even did one that kind of mocked the very industry that they exist in. It was an awesome movie that I really liked.

1785073020670.png
 
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
12,393
30,848
Eh, doesnt really seem like the same thing.

Bill Murray wasnt playing Ebenezer Scrooge, inhabitant of 19th century London. He was playing a modern (80s) TV executive.

Depp is cast as Ebenezer Scrooge, inhabitant of 19th century London. The reservation I am expressing is that I fear he'll play this as his usual "I'm so weird and quirky, look at me!!" self. Instead of playing Ebenezer Scrooge.
 

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
12,393
30,848
LOL almost every line and scene he has in the trailer is some kind of joke or slapstick humor.

Yeah thats how I remember scrooge - a funny guy, a witty jokester.

Impressive makeup though
 

Mahes

Silver Baronet of the Realm
7,156
11,464

Well, now that I watched the whole story, I think Johnny Depp did a pretty good job. He portrayed Scrooge with a more light hearted character than the main stay Scrooge, but that is also the actor. The problem with his acting it in this way, is that you see Captain Jack Sparrow playing Scrooge, more than Johnny Depp. At least Scrooge was not drunk. The effects and scenes were as good as you would expect with the actors you see in the movie. Ian McKellen Did a great job but the other actors let Johnny Depp steal the moments. Its another twist to the story but I would wait for streaming as the story has been told in various ways a dozen times.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user