EBook Readers

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've got an older Kindle with page buttons. I think I'd prefer touch since the paint or w/e is slowly working off where I press them. Do touch screens generally experience fatigue from constant use?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Doubt it, you can lightly glance my nook with a feather or some shit and it turns pages.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
Now, i've seen E-ink and like it, but i can not understand why someone would want to buy a Reader when you can get a tablet.
The price is similar, and you can do 100 more things with a tablet and Aldiko with reversed colors (white letters, black font) is just awesome.

For "Mom" i think a "packaged brand reader" (aka Kindle/Nook) would be better, but for me ? with a GalaxyTab7 & uTorrent... i'm GTG.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now, i've seen E-ink and like it, but i can not understand why someone would want to buy a Reader when you can get a tablet.
The price is similar
E-reader is half the price or less. If someone just wants to read books on a better screen for that they can pay $75-115 instead of $200+.

And then hit a torrent site.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
eink is like 1000x better for actually reading books. no real comparison there.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Battery also factors into this. I can take my Kindle on a trip and never have to recharge it. My tablet doesn't make it through an 8 hour flight without my plugging it into the laptop to recharge.

Being able to do 100 more things isn't always a good thing either. I like laying down on the couch and muting my speakers/phone when I'm reading. With the tablet, there's all kinds of distractions. This isn't to say I don't do a lot of reading on the tablet, but the Kindle definitely has its place.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't have anything to compare it to, but I've got an older Kindle with page buttons. I think I'd prefer touch since the paint or w/e is slowly working off where I press them. Do touch screens generally experience fatigue from constant use?
The nook doesn't actually have a touch screen. It has an IR sensor array just above the surface. You don't even have to physically touch it, just cross the plane 2-3mm from the screen.

I like the "touch screen" a lot since I get mild tendonitis from hitting the page buttons a few thousand times during long reading sessions.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Get the Kindle Paperwhite for e-books. Best one out hands down.

Got the Nook for my father and then the Kindle Paperwhite for my mother a month later when it came out. My father is jealous as fuck now because the Kindle Paperwhite looks so much better.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The paperwhite was the first e-reader I've owned and it's fantastic. E-ink is so much easier on the eyes than a LCD, especially when I've got the lights off reading in bed. The only complaint I have is that I'd prefer page turn buttons, but it's not a big deal.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The paperwhite was the first e-reader I've owned and it's fantastic. E-ink is so much easier on the eyes than a LCD, especially when I've got the lights off reading in bed. The only complaint I have is that I'd prefer page turn buttons, but it's not a big deal.
How flakey is the page turn mechanism on the touch screens? I still haven't gotten around to replacing my keyboard kindle and I absolutely hate the page turns of the kindle app on the nexus 7. Particularly as there doesn't appear to be a way to page turn forward when only using the left hand.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
How flakey is the page turn mechanism on the touch screens? I still haven't gotten around to replacing my keyboard kindle and I absolutely hate the page turns of the kindle app on the nexus 7. Particularly as there doesn't appear to be a way to page turn forward when only using the left hand.
On my Kobo, I can slide my finger across anywhere on the screen to turn the page

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Touch screen Kobos have a couple page turning options. I read exclusively with my left hand so I love the option to flip forward with the left side. Now if they would just dim their damn light a little I would be happy, it's so bright even on the lowest setting.
images

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Had a paperwhite for a few months now, love the device. Once you get one you will never look back.

Nook is better at the lower pricepoint tho, nook touch for the same price as the basic kindle is a no brainer in favor of the touch imo.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had a paperwhite for a few months now, love the device. Once you get one you will never look back.

Nook is better at the lower pricepoint tho, nook touch for the same price as the basic kindle is a no brainer in favor of the touch imo.
Yeah, once you get an e-ink device, it's hard to go back to reading books.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I wouldn't describe it as flaky, it's just that it is a bit sensitive and I sometimes accidentally turn the page. As far as using it left handed, there is no way to change the area you tap on to turn the page, but you can swipe to left or right in any area to turn page,.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have a Paperwhite and it is fan-fucking-tastic. After coming from a regular Kindlev4 (no keyboard) it is amazing. I still wish it had physical page turn buttons, but that is the only thing I'd change about it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My OG nook 3g has started showing it's first signs of trouble. Last night when I'd turn the page it was doing it twice, 2 distinct page turns. Turned it off before I went to sleep, will see if that fixes it when I turn it back on tonight. I'll be bummed if it is actually dying, I don't want to spend money on a new one.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My OG nook wifi is starting to NOT open books i bought at the BN store. had this happen with 3 recent purchases, i buy the book but it won't open -at all. older books are fine, newer books no go it opens to cover then immediately goes back to the book choosing page, i ended up changing epub to mobi format, changing the cover and then resaving back to epub, which fixed the problem.

OH BTW, all nook Tablets now have Google Play.

My nook tablet started spazzing out on a flight and flipping to random pages but they gave me a new one at the store at no cost and all my books were redownloaded. I guess it saves them on the interweb tubes or something.

I've read a few books on it and I can say I have no problems with eye fatigue.. even after five hour continuous reading sessions. Eink might be nice but either I have "man of steel" eyes or this shit just doesn't matter when its black background on white text.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
eink is pretty much the same as paper, absolutely no way you can think an lcd screen looks like a book to your eyes.