El Segundo, CA (relocation)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
God damn, rent is crazy in some places. Where I live, in a reasonable sized city, but obviously its a piece of shit compared to LA/Cali, $1600 gets you a spacious 2600 sq ft, 4 bedroom, high quality house with a huge backyard in a nice neighborhood. For $2400 (what you wrote is a 2 bedroom) youre looking at a McMansion with as many bedrooms and bathroom as you want, a movie theater, backyard, top notch neighbhorhoods, etc. ... (When I lived in Brooklyn, $2400 got you a loft that was probably the size of a 2 bedroom, but just no walls etc, in a building a mile away from the closets subway.)
Like you said, you probably live somewhere shitty. Crazy that real estate would be more expensive in a desirable location!

Personally, I don't know that I could live in LA. San Diego, however...

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Yea, but you see Zajeer, in your case you could live closer to your job.

That's the thing that sometimes I wonder, (not saying you) people that complain about traffic in LA are those who want to live in opposite sides of the city "I love the beach but I work in the valley" (or viceversa) yea, that'll be at least an hour minimum. When I moved to LA almost a year ago (from Seattle) everybody was telling me "Omg you'll be stuck in traffic for years" so I looked for a place nearby the office.
Yeah definitely. I'm not going to lie, my commute sucks and I wish it was quicker. However we're moving offices in less than 2 months to Culver City, and then my commute will only be 25ish minutes, which is great. In most cities, my tolerance for commute time is less than 30 minutes. However LA is its own beast, with traffic and just how big LA county is (Just as a note, I grew up in Florida. LA county is larger than the sum of the 3 adjacent counties to where I used to live).

Personally, I don't know that I could live in LA. San Diego, however...
I definitely loved my time living in San Diego, it's definitely the best city I've lived in. However, all of SoCal is nice - LA's worst tradeoff is traffic/drive time. Everything else is nice here, though

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I found San Diego to a be a bit boring after a while, don't get me wrong, is a really awesome city with probably the best weather in all California but after a couple of weeks there I was "ok... what else there is to do?"

At least LA has the same (if not more) entertainment options than NYC.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I found San Diego to a be a bit boring after a while, don't get me wrong, is a really awesome city with probably the best weather in all California but after a couple of weeks there I was "ok... what else there is to do?"

At least LA has the same (if not more) entertainment options than NYC.
I feel the same way, unless you're a beach nut, SD is pretty boring.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, unless you like paradise and the greatest burritos on the face of the earth...

Prime_sl

shitlord
Is westside rentals worth it? Arrived in CA and staying with my buddy in Rancho Cucamanga but still looking for a place.

Prime_sl

shitlord
Naw, I dont start work for 3 weeks, so just hanging out while I look for a place. My original plan was to find some roommates on craigslist as it can be cheaper and get a better place, but now thinking I might just get my own place. Looking in South Redondo as it looks to be much cheaper than HB. Never really spent too much time in South RB, how is it? Still pretty young and fun?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dunno, southbay is pretty homogenous and not really that hip if that is what you are looking for. Redondo beach has a lot of old 60's - 70's style apartments.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, unless you like paradise and the greatest burritos on the face of the earth...
Haha, right? We have everything you could possibly want within driving range of SD. Mountains for hiking / winter activities, beaches and bays for water sports, the best weather ever for outdoor anything, one of the highest breweries-per-capita ... the list goes on. Not everything is within walking distance, but that's just the nature of Southern California. We like to be spread out.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Never really spent too much time in South RB, how is it? Still pretty young and fun?
If you can get a place in S Redondo within a half mile of this general location:http://goo.gl/maps/vQa0zyou'll be fine. There's a few bars and restaurants within a 2 block radius where a lot of people hang out on the weekends. Henessey's is a popular place, though their food is kinda crappy.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
It's all pretty much homogeneous, you'll be hitting the bars/restaurants in that Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan corridor.

Westside Rentals is a must do if you're looking for rentals in LA; everybody here uses it. You could potentially drive around the area you want to live and take note of for rent signs, that's what I ended up doing when I wanted to live in redondo.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
You could potentially drive around the area you want to live and take note of for rent signs, that's what I ended up doing when I wanted to live in redondo.
Be careful doing this as your vehicle may get riddled with bullets by the LAPD while doing driving around the southbay...

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
It's all pretty much homogeneous, you'll be hitting the bars/restaurants in that Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan corridor.

Westside Rentals is a must do if you're looking for rentals in LA; everybody here uses it. You could potentially drive around the area you want to live and take note of for rent signs, that's what I ended up doing when I wanted to live in redondo.
Craigslist is also helpful - my apartment I found on CL and it wasn't listed on Westside Rentals. However, I did have a sub for Westside Rentals as well. Additionally, as Obtenor mentioned, driving around and looking for signs is another good method. A lot of rental properties on the west side of town don't advertise in Westside Rentals or Craigslist - I found a few different apartments just by calling the number on the signs in front of places.

And yeah, it's pretty homogeneous in terms of age of people, so long as its closer to the beach. The more inland you get, especially in Redondo, the older the crowd.