Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played through some of Stormveil castle but starting to get bored. Getting tired of beating up hordes of same dickheads only to get 2 shotted by some plate knight with a halberd. I made it to the rooftops and the eagles with exploding fire barrels.

Game is turning into a bit of a grind. I know I can just fast travel to another grace spot and go do something else, but its just more grind in a different location.
Don’t bang your head against trash mobs, just run past them. 95% of the game is stuff you can just run past, most people just don’t cause they need the runes. However most trash mobs that are tough are not very efficient for getting those runes. If you feel like clearing easy trash, go for it, but don’t let yourself get stuck on them. You can always come back later and stomp their shit if you want revenge.

My second play through I’m at 10 hours and further than I was at 40-50 hours on my first run because of that. The speed runners who clear all the Main bosses in the game finish in like 2-3 hours because they run by everything except the bosses.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Don’t bang your head against trash mobs, just run past them. 95% of the game is stuff you can just run past, most people just don’t cause they need the runes. However most trash mobs that are tough are not very efficient for getting those runes. If you feel like clearing easy trash, go for it, but don’t let yourself get stuck on them. You can always come back later and stomp their shit if you want revenge.

My second play through I’m at 10 hours and further than I was at 40-50 hours on my first run because of that. The speed runners who clear all the Main bosses in the game finish in like 2-3 hours because they run by everything except the bosses.

The problem with that strat for me is that I am on my first playthrough so I don't know where anything is. Run past first group of mobs, ok. Run past second group, ok. Eventually you're gonna run into another group or ambush while running away and get your shit wrecked. That happens pretty often for me when trying to run away, especially since the char is slow on foot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The problem with that strat for me is that I am on my first playthrough so I don't know where anything is. Run past first group of mobs, ok. Run past second group, ok. Eventually you're gonna run into another group or ambush while running away and get your shit wrecked. That happens pretty often for me when trying to run away, especially since the char is slow on foot.
Yeah. Speed runners know exactly where they’re going. When you don’t, the strat is to run like hell and hope you see somewhere to jump out of danger or touch a site if grace so if they catch you that’s where you respawn.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah. Speed runners know exactly where they’re going. When you don’t, the strat is to run like hell and hope you see somewhere to jump out of danger or touch a site if grace so if they catch you that’s where you respawn.

Last night I fell off the ledge in Stormveil and ended up running around for 2 minutes trying to find a safe spot. Ended up running through the main courtyard, saw all the enemies and that's when I knew I was fucked. Ran around some more and eventually saw the yellow mist door. Figured I might have a better chance at fighting the boss than 40 mobs so I went through.

It was Godrick.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Last night I fell off the ledge in Stormveil and ended up running around for 2 minutes trying to find a safe spot. Ended up running through the main courtyard, saw all the enemies and that's when I knew I was fucked. Ran around some more and eventually saw the yellow mist door. Figured I might have a better chance at fighting the boss than 40 mobs so I went through.

It was Godrick.

So did you have a better chance!?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is a grace right before him. Yolo running to graces and back clearing is actually a solid strategy, because many fights are easier coming from behind the original encounter design. Also many tougher enemies in the game can be arrow cheesed, doubly so if you have access to poison arrows. What you should be doing is when you start a new area with little to no souls in reserve, doing a bunch of experimental yolo runs to seek out stuff you need and learning the area a bit. Then you can selectively run past or engage as it makes sense to do so.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
There is a grace right before him. Yolo running to graces and back clearing is actually a solid strategy, because many fights are easier coming from behind the original encounter design. Also many tougher enemies in the game can be arrow cheesed, doubly so if you have access to poison arrows. What you should be doing is when you start a new area with little to no souls in reserve, doing a bunch of experimental yolo runs to seek out stuff you need and learning the area a bit. Then you can selectively run past or engage as it makes sense to do so.

Well that's I was banking on, finding grace right before the boss door. But some of the mobs were taking swings at me and missing me by inches at that point. I didn't see the grace immediately as I hoped so the yellow mist door seemed like the only way to keep on living for another minute.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
So did you have a better chance!?

It wasn't easy... But it didn't seem impossible like 40 mobs would have.

I got him down by a quarter or a third, don't remember, and then he finished smearing me across the pavement.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Facing the fog wall right before Godrick it is in a small room on the right.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I got him down by a quarter or a third, don't remember, and then he finished smearing me across the pavement.
You will want to clear out some of the area prior to him just to get the barbarian NPC quest line going (and as an aid in that fight) anyhow. Plus there are some good things to nab by backtracking out the corridors directly opposite Godrick's grace. Be certain you at least get the barbarian chick because the end reward of that quest line is really good long term.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

There's a spirit ash of a rot dog that'll hit him with a pretty good DOT. You just have to kind of keep him occupied long enough for the dot to take effect, and all you have to do is just run around and stay alive and he'll slowly die. You can take pot shots at him with a bow and I'll sit there and just slowly walk towards you, and sit there and try to dodge your ranged attack.

I had a real hard time beating him, and ended up doing that and it was a cakewalk. Margit I didn't have as much of an issue with. I think it only took me like 4 or 5 attempts to get him the first time, but Godrick was rough until I hit him with the rot dog.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jump attacks with a heavy weapon work well, as long as your dodge game is on point. Jellyfish ash (leveled up) is something people swear by, but I never had any luck with it. The first time I beat him, I was using a standard Halberd +4 and I called in the barb chick and a leveled up bird summon. He fucking hates that bird summon and it lasts a long time on him. The real key is to keep him close in phase two. When he winds up for that stupid breath weapon you have a big window to put the beatdown on him by circling around him. IF you are not confident in your close in game, the shots from the bleed dagger you get from a red phantom near the first lake are pretty good as is the rock spell. The fight really always comes back to dodging and not being greedy, though.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm in need of a good single player game. I just finished AC Valhalla and it was ok. Had WD Legion and Farcry 6 in queue from bundles in hardware purchases but both kinda fizzled out after an hour or two.

I've never played a souls game but thinking of buying this one as it gets pretty much all positive reviews. The only thing I can see is me rage quitting from stupid hard bosses. But I'm guessing you can make them a little easier by powering up with side stuff.

Is it a good first FromSoftware game to try? I also looked a bit at Sekiro but kinda wanted to try the new one first.

yeah as someone who plat'd AC Valhalla and Far Cry 6 I'd say with 100% enthusiasm go for Elden Ring, the only problem being that honestly after you finish Elden Ring you will have an EXTREMELY difficult time ever playing an Ubisoft game again. Its like driving a high end performance car and then going back to driving Buick's. I plat'd the game a few weeks ago and have zero interest in starting Horizon Forbidden West or the next Yakuza game in my play list.

First play through I wouldn't really get too much advice or look up guides or shit, just keep in mind two things: its not a big deal to die, just try to spend runes as you get them so you don't care about run backs and shit. Second, if you find yourself having issues fighting mobs in the area you are in, go to a new area. Just always be leveling up, trying different weapons/spells/etc, and figure out what works for you.

The world of Elden Ring is absolutely massive, and there are a lot of ways to get stuff done. You will slowly over time learn a ton of tips and tricks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got the game now and played maybe 1 hour. Killed the wolf/beast guy in the cave and died a lot to various stuff. Started as Samurai. I like it but I need to get comfy with the flow of the game and how the controll scheme works.

Controller vs keyboard? Using keyboard right now but might try my PS4 controller if I ever get it to work on PC with a cable, so far it does not get recognized when I use Microusb.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just got 100% of the achievements. First game I’ve ever done that on.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got the game now and played maybe 1 hour. Killed the wolf/beast guy in the cave and died a lot to various stuff. Started as Samurai. I like it but I need to get comfy with the flow of the game and how the controll scheme works.

Controller vs keyboard? Using keyboard right now but might try my PS4 controller if I ever get it to work on PC with a cable, so far it does not get recognized when I use Microusb.
Controller. I think ds4 might need a program to make it work with pc? Been a long time since I used one. You may just have to go into steam controller setting to recognize it first.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Controller. I think ds4 might need a program to make it work with pc? Been a long time since I used one. You may just have to go into steam controller setting to recognize it first.

Tried like 6 guides. I have no Bluetooth on my PC so trying the USB way, no luck to get it to even show as an unknown device. Might buy a Bluetooth receiver and test that. Figured it might be a game that's more suited for controller.

Edit: it was the usb cable. Found d one finally that worked. Will get a Bluetooth adapter for sure if this works better than keyboard.

Last edited:

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
For Godrick, it helps to talk to Nepheli Loux in a room off the courtyard that leads up to him. Its to the right of a little golden tree. Exhaust her dialogue until she mentions you can call her for the fight.

She's good for phase 1, but phase 2 will chew her up with the fire attacks. Its still helpful for keeping Godrick off you enough to get some swings in. He's a lot easier as a ranged, though.

I'm in need of a good single player game. I just finished AC Valhalla and it was ok. Had WD Legion and Farcry 6 in queue from bundles in hardware purchases but both kinda fizzled out after an hour or two.

I've never played a souls game but thinking of buying this one as it gets pretty much all positive reviews. The only thing I can see is me rage quitting from stupid hard bosses. But I'm guessing you can make them a little easier by powering up with side stuff.

Is it a good first FromSoftware game to try? I also looked a bit at Sekiro but kinda wanted to try the new one first.

The key to these games is to let go of dying. Its going to happen, accept and adapt. Experience is everything and you have to learn from your mistakes. Games these days hold your hand so much it comes as a major shocker when someone plays one of these games and even trash mobs can rough you up.

There's a certain aspect of reality to it which makes it appealing. No enemy is going to sit there and take a 10-hit combo from you while you collect a B+ battle rating and style points. You get 1 or maybe 2 hits off, then when you go for #3, they cave your teeth in because "fuck you". If you can get over that you'll be fine.

One of the most important parts of this game is "shared knowledge" so don't hesitate to ask questions.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user