Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Did he make all that himself or is that some of the crowdsourced stuff he was doing? Wildly different styles there.
I "think" it is all his own stuff. IIRC I saw a video of his a long time ago talking about his art.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hope From let’s him design a boss or let him contribute directly to a game in some other way. He has focused his autism so hard for so long and grown their audience, he deserves it. A full quest/lore line would probably be his strength though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I "think" it is all his own stuff. IIRC I saw a video of his a long time ago talking about his art.
He did a curated collection of souls art from lots of folks. Kickstarter for it raised a shitton of money over the original goal.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
When you equip Melania's helmet is also changes your hair to match hers. Mildly morbid. She also rustled my jimmies nicely, first time I killed her after about 50 attempts I died two seconds after she did so it didnt count.

Also I can sum this game up in a single word; tedious.

Last edited:
  • 2WTF
  • 1Slow
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When you equip Melania's helmet is also changes your hair to match hers. Mildly morbid. She also rustled my jimmies nicely, first time I killed her after about 50 attempts I died two seconds after she did so it didnt count.

Wow. I didn’t feel tedium in this game at all. Being stuck on a boss…I could see that specifically being tedious, but that’s not something that’s required to do except the final boss.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Wow. I didn’t feel tedium in this game at all. Being stuck on a boss…I could see that specifically being tedious, but that’s not something that’s required to do except the final boss.
Having to kill a boss again because you kill it but die after its dead
Not being able to use your mouse cursor to navigate the map in a game where you use the map so much
Not being able to assign potions/items a hotkey but instead having to use a single key that functions as a rollodex to select and use the potion/item is tedious
Critical components like somber smithing stones or ghostworts being in short supply requiring you to go on scavenger hunts(or just look at a guide/wiki) to find or farm them to upgrade weapons/ashes
Having to watch the same death title screen play out every single time you die

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Not being able to use your mouse cursor to navigate the map in a game where you use the map so much
Not being able to assign potions/items a hotkey but instead having to use a single key that functions as a rollodex to select and use the potion/item is tedious
Critical components like somber smithing stones or ghostworts being in short supply requiring you to go on scavenger hunts(or just look at a guide/wiki) to find or farm them to upgrade weapons/ashes

1st one's the most legit point. From's always been console focused, at least in their Souls games so some things that could easily be more convenient on PC aren't.

The second point is when you're trying to get ahead of the game's "natural" progression. You find the upgrade pieces in appropriate locations but can bypass that with guides that tell you where to find the easiest to get higher level ones. That's not the game being tedious, that's you choosing to do tedious things.

I can see the final point about dying alot as rage inducing, cause it really can be and it's sort of the point, but not sure how that's "tedious"

Fucker

Log Wizard
The game is a lot easier to play with a controller.

Smithing stones aren't that bad to acquire. They spread them out because they want you to explore.

That rolodex thing can be annoying. I know I am not the only person to lose a boss fight due to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
From's Souls games are perfect and this is the best one ever.

You bitch and moan the entire way through and when you're done you realize the game is beyond reproach. This one just happens to also have some of the most amazing visuals in video game history

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
git gud fgt
Thats called battered wife syndrome.
The game is a lot easier to play with a controller.
Yeah I imagine, its quite clear they simply emulated a controller with the kb/m instead of actually taking into account what a kb/m can do. Im gonna go out on a limb here and say part of their idea of "difficulty" comes from their control scheme which is why kb/m is so abysmal.

That aside, any other game released in 2022 with such controls would be roasted. Zero reason to not be able to rebind keys.

The second point is when you're trying to get ahead of the game's "natural" progression. You find the upgrade pieces in appropriate locations but can bypass that with guides that tell you where to find the easiest to get higher level ones. That's not the game being tedious, that's you choosing to do tedious things.
I dont mean why cant I upgrade my golden halberd to +10 that I got walking out of the starting area. Im talking about the game giving you a near endless amount of weapons with all sorts of effects that you naturally want to try out but you very quickly(or at least I did) run out of mats to upgrade them to actually make them worthwhile.

So you end up having to go on a scavenger hunt to be able to upgrade them.
You bitch and moan the entire way through and when you're done you realize the game is beyond reproach.
I dont know about that one. There are some uhh questionable design choices, like your character going through the motions of using a potion even when you dont have any or using potions when already full hp/fp. Or some bosses/enemies being so large you see nothing but shark knees as a melee character, looking at you fire giant.
This one just happens to also have some of the most amazing visuals in video game history
Certainly agree here, the world is phenomenally well sculpted easily the best of any game world ive seen yet.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Why did you attempt her 50 times?

Tweak your build or level up, I went to get a better summon for example after a few tries (Black Knife instead of Mimic Tear).

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Thats called battered wife syndrome.

Yeah I imagine, its quite clear they simply emulated a controller with the kb/m instead of actually taking into account what a kb/m can do. Im gonna go out on a limb here and say part of their idea of "difficulty" comes from their control scheme which is why kb/m is so abysmal.

That aside, any other game released in 2022 with such controls would be roasted. Zero reason to not be able to rebind keys.

I dont mean why cant I upgrade my golden halberd to +10 that I got walking out of the starting area. Im talking about the game giving you a near endless amount of weapons with all sorts of effects that you naturally want to try out but you very quickly(or at least I did) run out of mats to upgrade them to actually make them worthwhile.

So you end up having to go on a scavenger hunt to be able to upgrade them.

I dont know about that one. There are some uhh questionable design choices, like your character going through the motions of using a potion even when you dont have any or using potions when already full hp/fp. Or some bosses/enemies being so large you see nothing but shark knees as a melee character, looking at you fire giant.

Certainly agree here, the world is phenomenally well sculpted easily the best of any game world ive seen yet.
Certain bosses drop bell bearings that allow you access to infinite weapon upgrades except for the very last one.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having limited smithing stones just gave me an excuse to replay the game several times over with different weapons and builds. Each time I found new shit and enjoyed a different experience due to play style as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I get the overwhelming part and the plethora of weapons part. Most builds lock you out of using various "classes" of weapons and items. Yes it is somewhat old school in that your build is more or less locked in after a certain point.

You can fuck around enough without any guides or anything and find something that works for you easy enough though. If you then come across some sorcerer weapon you want to use and find out you have no realistic hope of using it due to stats. Well try it next time with your additional game knowledge.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I get the overwhelming part and the plethora of weapons part. Most builds lock you out of using various "classes" of weapons and items. Yes it is somewhat old school in that your build is more or less locked in after a certain point.

You can fuck around enough without any guides or anything and find something that works for you easy enough though. If you then come across some sorcerer weapon you want to use and find out you have no realistic hope of using it due to stats. Well try it next time with your additional game knowledge.

The game is chock full of respec items, I'm not sure any of this applies

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

te·di·ous
/ˈtēdēəs/
adjective
too long, slow, or dull; tiresome or monotonous.
"a tedious journey"
Elden Ring is a huge game, but it's hard to call it tedious. I'm guessing you're looking for a different word.

frustrating
/ˈfrəˌstrādiNG/
adjective
causing annoyance or upset because of an inability to change or achieve something.

ex·as·per·at·ing
/iɡˈzaspəˌrādiNG,eɡˈzaspəˌrādiNG/
adjective
intensely irritating and frustrating.
"they suffered a number of exasperating setbacks"